RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2015, 10:49 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Brake controller hookup

I recently purchased a 2009 HR Imperial Bali IV 45 w/500 ISM Cummins. I am curious if anyone has a similar model (dynasty) and knows if the Rv is pre-wired for a controller.

I know some newer vehicles have a plug under dash that's ready to receive a controller.

Hoping my HR does. If not ,how difficult to locate the correct wire?
Also what are the best brands for a 10k gvw trailer?
Lastly, when using the engine brake does that action engage the trailer brake also? I ask because I know it is generally the brake light that engages the trailer brake and wasn't sure the engine brake is connected into that same system.
Thanks for the input.

Ed Medders

2009 Imperial 45

Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2015, 09:56 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
My 2008 Beaver has the brake controller wire run up to the dash so I'm sure your does. Contact Monaco for the location. In my case it wasn't where they said it was and I had to use a sniffer to find it. It was suppose to be under the dash but was instead at the bottom of the control center to the left of the driver. It will be a square 6 plug connector that has each wire labeled.

tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:04 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I found a 6 plug there but it had no labels. I've tried to attach a pic but I'm guessing it's not working.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:09 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The labels will actually just be small print on the wires and the text may be a little smeared. You may need a magnifying glass to see it!

It should look similar to this... http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/prew...ug-241920.html
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:46 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Found wiring, will install controller tomorrow. Some have mentioned losing signal strength covering that distance. I know it has power coming off the battery in engine compartment. Hoping that woks otherwise I'll have to install a wire and relay at the back.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:57 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln View Post
Some have mentioned losing signal strength covering that distance.
I would indeed be concerned about that. It's a small wire and a long run, and that equates to poor current carrying ability. The wiring diagrams call it a "US GEAR INTERFACE" and as such it is meant for use with a US Gear Unified Tow Brake. That is a system for toads that uses a small control panel in the MH cab, and a controller in the toad. The signal between them (the wire normally used for controlling electric brakes) is a low current data signal, so the smaller wire works well for that use.

However, when using a regular electric trailer brake controller, that wire between the controller and the trailer is a high current signal that actually provides power to the trailer brake magnets. In a car/SUV/pickup, that wire is usually much bigger than what Monaco uses in the US Gear pre-wire. With the wire extra length involved, it should be even bigger still.

Quote:
Hoping that woks otherwise I'll have to install a wire and relay at the back.
I don't think the relay is going to cut it. That output from the brake controller is a varying voltage/current depending on braking effort and the controller settings. A relay is a straight on/off device. If you trigger the relay from the brake controller output, and use it to switch 12V to the trailer brake magnets, you won't get the smooth operation you need. Instead, under light braking you won't get any trailer braking because the relay won't activate. Then, as the braking effort increases, the voltage to the relay coil will increase until it finally pulls in, and at that point you will have full power to the trailer brakes locking them up.

If you want to properly control electric trailer brakes, I think you only have two options:
  1. Use a controller that mounts back at the trailer plug, like the Wireless Prodigy
  2. Run a new heavy gauge wire from the controller to the trailer socket.
10 gauge wire is fairly common in trucks/SUVs for the controller output wire. For the extra length involved with a motorhome, I would think you'd want to go bigger.

Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake