Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2014, 10:58 PM   #1
kb3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Brake controller plug

I have a 2009 Endeavor that I am installing a Prodigy brake controller in. I have located the pre-wired plug under the dash but need to source the male half of the plug. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I can buy it? It is a 6 pin plug.

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2014, 09:51 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Usually the is not a "plug" under the dash for the "brake" wire(blue wire most of the time) If there is a female plug on it, I would guess it was added for some reason, have you owned this Coach sense new? If it were me instead of trying to find a plug to match it, cut the plug off that is there now and add new connectors or butt splice connectors.
I might be wrong on my thoughts, but alls I can think is someone else wired that plug, not the factory........can you post a photo of it?
Look here to see if anything looks like what you have Brake Controller Accessories Brake Controller Wiring Accessories and Parts | etrailer.com
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2014, 10:12 AM   #3
kb3

Monaco Owners Club
thanks, I spoke with the people at etrailer, they were no help. Monaco uses these white plastic plugs all over on the wiring. This one happens to be a 6 pin design, so what you showed won't work.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:45 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Read post #11 here http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/trai...er-187317.html
Old 03-13-2014, 11:12 AM   #5
kb3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Yes, I have found that plug under the dash, I am looking for a place to buy the matching half that would plug into that one under the dash. I can't find it online as of yet, but no doubt others have bought a plug somewhere.

My other option is to cut and splice wires, which I hate to do considering the nice plug that exists.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:48 AM   #6

Here's an FAQ from the e trailer site that may help. It's geared toward a generic Fleetwood product on a Freightliner chassis:

Installing a Trailer Brake Controller in 2007 Winnebago Freightliner Chassis and Factory Harness | etrailer.com

Here's the text:

"Installation and Wiring of P2 Brake Controller On a Fleetwood Freighliner MotorHome with Air Brakes

Question:
What is the best procedure for wiring to a fleetwood motorhome with a freightliner chassis,
asked by: Jim

Expert Reply:
The best procedure for installing the Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, part # 90885, on your Fleetwood Motorhome with a Freightliner chassis and air brakes is to follow the Brake Controller manufacturers instructions.

I contacted our representative at Freightliner, he informed me that if the motor home is a 2004 or newer there is a 6 pin connector under the dash that will be labeled either "TRBRK" or "TBC." This connector can be removed and the wires can be hard wired to the brake controller.

If the motor home is older than 2004 you will have to pickup the Brake Signal off of the Treadle Valve at the back of the Brake Pedal. The Treadle Valve is a valve that is operated by the Brake Pedal and directs air pressure from the dry reservoir tank to the brake chambers. The Treadle Valve also has a pressure switch that activates the brake lights on the rear of the vehicle.

If your motor home is older than 2004 I would recommend getting the brake controller installation kit # ETBC7, which includes the # 37185 adapter, as well as everything else you will need to complete the brake controller installation. You may need some extra wire depending on the length of the motor home, part #10-2-1.

To install the #37185 adapter, you would first plug it into your 4-Way connector, or splice into the vehicles brake, turn and tail light functions, and then connect the additional wires.

The additional wires would be installed as follows:

White: Ground, attached to a suitable location on the vehicle frame.
Black: 12v power lead wire, run to the vehicle positive battery terminal, with the 40amp circuit breaker included in the # ETBC7 kit.
Blue: Electric brake wire, connected to the blue electric brake wire coming from the brake controller in the vehicle cab.
Purple: This is an auxiliary wire, and can be used as a 12v power source, or to power a reverse light or reverse lockout function if needed. If not, this wire can be tied up.

If you do not already have a brake controller, I would recommend that you use the Prodigy P2 brake controller # 90885. This brake controller includes a pigtail that you will use to hard wire the unit to your vehicle.

The pigtail has four wires that will need to be connected as follows:

The 4 brake controller wire functions are:
White: Ground, attached to a clean piece of unpainted metal.
Black: 12v lead, attached to the vehicle positive battery terminal with either the 20amp or 30amp circuit breaker included in the # ETBC7 kit. Use the 20amp breaker if your trailer has 2 to 4 brakes, or the 30amp if the trailer has 4 to 8 brakes.
Blue: Electric brakes, attached to the blue electric brake wire from the # 37185 adapter.
Red: Stoplight switch, normally located directly off the vehicles brake pedal (in your case the treadle valve located behind the brake pedal)

To give you a closer look at how the adapter and brake controller are typically connected, I am including links to a set of videos demonstrating an installation."

I couldn't find the additional links he's referring to, but I did find another FAQ referring to Prodigy P2 Installation on Freightliner chassis.

Installing a Trailer Brake Controller in 2007 Winnebago Freightliner Chassis and Factory Harness | etrailer.com
Old 03-13-2014, 12:22 PM   #7
kb3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for that info and leg work, but I guess I am not getting my point across. I am very knowledgeable when it comes to wiring, and will have no problem wiring in the controller itself. I am just trying to use the factory wiring without having to cut off the factory plug and splice the controller in. I am a bit anal about cutting factory plugs off, but have had to as a last resort. If I could buy the matching plug and pins, I would then be able to wire it to the back of the controller and just plug it into the factory wiring.

I apologize for any confusion and once again thank everyone for their input so far!
Old 03-13-2014, 12:27 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Well........maybe a call to Monaco parts is in order, and ask them........
800-634-0855
Old 03-13-2014, 12:32 PM   #9
kb3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Well........maybe a call to Monaco parts is in order, and ask them........
800-634-0855

Now that I can do! thanks for the phone number, I have never contacted them and not sure they even existed anymore.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:39 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb3 View Post
Now that I can do! thanks for the phone number, I have never contacted them and not sure they even existed anymore.
I found the number off a recent post........let us know if they help you with your quest....
Old 03-13-2014, 12:40 PM   #11

Maybe I missed copying some of the information from the E Trailer site. In one of the posts the expert had contacted Tekonsha, and at the time Tekonsha didn't make an adaptor harness from the Freightliner chassis to the Prodigy controller.

About your only option would be to purchase jumper harness that fits the controller with the proper number of wires for your Freightliner harness. The you'll have to find a Freightliner male plug to transfer all the wires into
Old 03-13-2014, 06:29 PM   #12
kb3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I found the number off a recent post........let us know if they help you with your quest....

I called the number and while they didn't have the part, they were able to give me a part number. A quick web search turned up the following:

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/catalogusd/646/1736.pdf

I ordered a couple and will see if it is the right part. They were cheap enough.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:38 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Glad you found something, I hope they work for you. Safe travels to ya.....
Old 03-14-2014, 01:42 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
When I bought my 07 Endeavor I had the same issue. I called Monaco tech support and was told they had a plug I could buy from them.

I needed to get the brake control installed that day so I cut off the factory Monaco socket and hard wired the Tekonsha pigtail/plug back in it's place. The tech support guy emailed me the wiring diagram but I didn't really need it. The wires were marked and I used a multi-meter to make sure.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote