RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2013, 07:27 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Brake Light Fuse

I had a trailer wired into my 2001 Ambassador today. When I got the motorhome back to my storage area my wife noticed we had no brake lights on the trailer or the motorhome. I'm figured it was a fuse so I started checking the fuse boxes. I cannot find a fuse labeled brake light. I checked the fuses in the front drivers side bay and the fuse box in the rear inverter bay with no luck. can anyone help? I'm not a wrench but I hate to pay camping world to find & replace a fuse.

coachk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2013, 07:34 PM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachk View Post
I had a trailer wired into my 2001 Ambassador today. When I got the motorhome back to my storage area my wife noticed we had no brake lights on the trailer or the motorhome. I'm figured it was a fuse so I started checking the fuse boxes. I cannot find a fuse labeled brake light. I checked the fuses in the front drivers side bay and the fuse box in the rear inverter bay with no luck. can anyone help? I'm not a wrench but I hate to pay camping world to find & replace a fuse.

Don't sweat it. I had them do the complete toad package, tow-bar, skid plate, lights, etc when I bought the MH. That night I found I had NO lights on the rear of either. Seems they wired it wrong. Shame on me for not double checking the Pros. I now know better at CW

Good luck....

thrushl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
could be your brake light switch

does the turns work on the trailer / motorhome and does the motorhome have amber turn signals in the back or are they on the same bulb as the brake
Old 05-22-2013, 07:58 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by F239141 View Post
could be your brake light switch

does the turns work on the trailer / motorhome and does the motorhome have amber turn signals in the back or are they on the same bulb as the brake
I have all lights & turn signals working, just no brake lights. I also have the amber turn signal lights above my brake lights.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:20 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I have all lights & turn signals working, just no brake lights. I also have the amber turn signal lights above my brake lights.

Look into the brake light switch then then, if the lights flash with turn on the trailer, then more than likely there is no short in the trailer causing a blown fuse
Old 05-22-2013, 08:32 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks F231949, I'll check. I'd still like to know where the brake light fuse is located in my unit.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:37 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Thanks F231949, I'll check. I'd still like to know where the brake light fuse is located in my unit.

Some used none, but an auto reset circuit breaker

Maybe try to contact HRC
Old 07-27-2013, 05:31 PM   #8

CoachK.....ever figure the problem out???

I'm having the exact same problem, but to be honest, I don't know with certainty if the brake light problem existed before I plugged in the tow dolly. ;(
Old 07-27-2013, 07:50 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We had an 01 Ambassador 38pbt and it sticks in my mind that there may have been a square bussman box in one of the 2 right rear compartments behind the axle that had some fuses in them that dealt with lights. You have to remove the covers to see the fuses, they had 2-4 clips on them. Another place to look is in the front left compartment where the wiring is, but look outside the major fuse box at some items that look like relays. Small 1 1/4 square boxes, ours had several in that compartment and some in the right rear compartment also and some of those contained a fuse dealing with lighting. The 4 way flashers were in one of those kind of boxes. Hope this may help, Happy Trails Bert
Old 07-27-2013, 11:06 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"fortisi876"......Take a look in the run bay (under driver's window) and under the big black fuse box. There should be two smaller boxes that say "Monaco 1" and Monaco 2". Your brake light fuses should be in one of the boxes. They're marked on the front cover.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:01 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
It should be in "Monaco 2" box... Bottom/right and from the looks, it may not be a fuse but some sort of relay/solenoid
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:40 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Brake lights not working

Quote:
I know it's been awhile since you posted this but thought I'd shout this out for other people who might have the same problem; ours went out also. It's the marker fuse. The brake lights work off that. Cost us a little time and some help from this website but we did only need a $1.00 fuse.
Bees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:05 AM   #13

If it was I, I would take it back to the installer. If you had lights before he has done something wrong. Im sure they world not charge to fix something they did.
JHowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:27 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I too would recommend you have the installer fix it.

If the unit is on a Workhorse chassis, there may be a box under the "hood" it has a plain black cover, no markings at all, but it is about the same size as the Intelletec battery control Center box. Same type of cover (Comes off the same way) the brake light fuse is in there.

Tags
brake, fuse