Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2015, 04:15 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Brake lights not working

I have a 2003 Monaco Dynasty, we just purchased a 2015 jeep wrangler to be our toad. While working to get the lights connected to the Jeep I believe I 'broke' something. Prior to me testing the lights connected to the jeep I believe my lights were all working correctly. Now, I get turn signals working (coach and jeep) but no brake lights on either. Strange thing is that when I turn on the running lights the brake lights come on solid and stay on even when turn signal is on (coach and jeep). There is a brake and running lights fuse in the outside bay by the drivers seat, both are good. When I pull the brake fuse and put my tester on it I don't draw any volts, even when the brake pedal is pressed. I searched all over (best as I could) and can't find a crossed or burned wire. It is acting somewhat like a ground issue but I am a bit stumped if that is the issue or something else. The lights act the same if the jeep is connected or not. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
DMM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2015, 04:34 PM   #2

If you are using a 6 or 7 pin trailer connector, take them apart and check the connections inside. Sometimes they slip out and touch together.

Good luck
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:38 PM   #3

Mike, that is a hard one to troubleshoot from a distance. Let's look at it logically. If a wire was crossed on the 12 volt side or shorted or burned then you would blow a fuse. Most likely as you said is that you have a ground problem and most likely the ground for the brake lights is no more. Can't tell where because I don't know all that you did. It should not have been necessary to change anything on the motorhome to make the Jeep work.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:53 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Turn Signals and brake lights should be..... oh.. yes.. BAD GROUND.
... (Same wires so if turn works brake should, unless there is a bad gound in which case you described rather wall what can happen,, one of the possible outcomes)

Had a really strange issue with my new towed when I plugged it in, and yup, that was it.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:58 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Do both units work when separated ? if so I would be looking atthe connector - If you connected the wires to the jeep without the back feed diodes it could be a problem. Bad grounds cause many wierd problems and can be a challange - good luck
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:19 AM   #6

On the OP the last sentence says that it has the same indications with or without the Jeep connected
Old 01-26-2015, 09:20 AM   #7

Just plugging and in plugging the trailer connector could mess things up.

Remember, Always look where the last guy worked
Old 02-01-2015, 10:35 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks to all, sorry for the late reply been working all week. I found the culprit. i attempted to start the RV and in doing so realized that the air tanks were completely empty. Once the air tanks were back to pressure the brakes light then started working (silly me thinking the brakes were trigger by movement of the pedal and not the pads). I re-tested everything and all working 100%. A bit strange that the lights appears to have bad ground, but there it is. Hope this may help someone else that makes the same assumption, need air pressure to test brake lights. Thanks again to all for the replies.
DMM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:00 AM   #9

Mike, I have never looked at my brake lights when I start my mh with low air. I know that on big 18 wheelers if you start the truck with low or no air pressure then the brake lights are on until you get enough pressure to release the brakes.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:26 AM   #10

Trucks have 2 brake light switch circuts, 1 thru the parking brake and the other thru the service brakes. There are sometimes 2 service switchs. The service switch needs air to work.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:43 AM   #11

I think that it is a safety warning for anyone behind you if you lose pressure and the rear brakes come when on the highway.

Tags
brake, brake lights, lights