Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2022, 07:36 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilcan View Post
read your post and most replys after 25 plus years of over the road trucks and trailers I am inclinde to agree with jacw james you either have a sticking caliper or a restricted air line highly unlikey caused by a warped rotor as a warped rotor would cause a very decirinable vibration easily noticed upon brake application I would put my 2bits on a sticking caliper just a thought

How about 25 years of build up on the pad/caliper slides? I didn't think it was an issue putting them in but under observation I couldn't slide the pads away from the rotors with brakes (service and parking) released by hand. Had to use a pin punch and light hammer. Cleaned them out with a good wire wheel on a grinder. I can move them by hand now. Last night all was assembled and just have to put wheels and tires back on for a test drive. I will keep all posted.

joe
joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2022, 01:00 PM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
Did you get your test drive done?
Tim
Old 05-07-2022, 08:54 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaz View Post
Did you get your test drive done?
Tim
All brakes are back together and cleaned well. Just trying to get a helper for wheel torque and I will be good to go. Should be next couple days. Will keep all posted on the findings.

joe
Old 05-08-2022, 08:27 AM   #60

Well got my test drive in this morning. I am sorry for wasting everyone's time. My screw up as I needed to clean the pad areas where they contact the caliper. Seems the build up was keeping the pad in contact enough to build heat and only on the right rear. I did clean the left rear out also while I had it propped up and it seems to be working better as there is more heat in it now. Lesson learned. Temps now are 200f across the rear and 100f across the fronts (this week I am going to prop up the front and clean them out also as they probably need it). It was only a 10 mile run but it was enough before to build 400f in the right rear. I am going to keep an eye on these temps going forward as I think it a good idea to expose problems before they become major.

Thanks to all for the help.

joe
Old 05-08-2022, 08:32 AM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
There you go, glad you got it fixed.

I carry a heat gun and check all 4 wheels on a regular basis on a trip, also check my toads. Good practice to know how hot they are running and what you normally see.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 09:00 AM   #62

Phew! So, so glad you found it and reported back!

But I bet we’re still going to hear comment/questions about how badly you need to “bleed your brake system” and “have you replaced your hydraulic fluid hoses”.

Old 05-08-2022, 09:22 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
There you go, glad you got it fixed.

I carry a heat gun and check all 4 wheels on a regular basis on a trip, also check my toads. Good practice to know how hot they are running and what you normally see.

Always feels good when you find the problem. On to the next one (motorhome life).

Joe
Old 05-08-2022, 09:23 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark52 View Post
Phew! So, so glad you found it and reported back!

But I bet we’re still going to hear comment/questions about how badly you need to “bleed your brake system” and “have you replaced your hydraulic fluid hoses”.

Feels good and thanks. I realize they were just trying to help. I have made many useless comments myself I am sure.

Joe
Old 05-08-2022, 09:35 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeplazek View Post
Feels good and thanks. I realize they were just trying to help. I have made many useless comments myself I am sure.

Joe
Agreed - as have I. I just feeling a little ornery this AM.
Old 05-08-2022, 10:25 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark52 View Post
Agreed - as have I. I just feeling a little ornery this AM.

You are allowed.

Joe
Old 05-08-2022, 11:01 AM   #67

It is good to hear you found the problem! Thanks for letting us know the action you took to fix it.
lowellhett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 06:22 PM   #68

Hot back brakes

Make sure the pins that the pad slides on are clean, and the pad slides freely. I have had to slightly clearance the notch on some. Just thinking. MOMCAT
Old 05-08-2022, 06:37 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by momcat View Post
Make sure the pins that the pad slides on are clean, and the pad slides freely. I have had to slightly clearance the notch on some. Just thinking. MOMCAT

These pads have no pins. They slide on the caliper it’s self. That was my problem. The caliper had enough corrosion build up that the pad wasn’t sliding.

Joe
Old 05-13-2022, 02:30 PM   #70

Dug into the fronts last night. I thought if the rears were bound up the front calipers cant be far off. I was right.

joe

Tags
ace, brake, heat, heating, overheating, replace, replacement