RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2020, 01:35 PM   #1

Brake Upgrades - '69 F100 4WD.

I'm working on making the truck more drivable and stop better. One question is 4WD specific, but most of them are just F100 questions. I have 4 wheel drums, and a 9 inch power booster off a '69 F250.

Here are the issues:
*I adjusted all the pedals including the throttle so they sit closer to the floor. The shop manual calls for them to be adjusted so they sit over 7 inches high which makes the truck very hard to drive given I am tall. I now have the all sitting around 4 1/2 inches up. I don't want to increase pedal travel.
*The power booster interferes with the breather on the valve cover - I'd like something smaller.
*I'm running a lot of cam and at idle I get around 10 or 11 inches of vacuum.
*The brakes are not great, and with a big engine/big cam combo brakes can get pretty important in a hurry.

Questions -

*I'm looking at a front disc conversion. This is not as easy as it might be for a 2WD. SSBC (Stainless Steel Brake Corporation) have a disc conversion kit. I spoke to them today and the company shut down recently and was restarted by a new group. Not much track record, but the parts have been available for a while. Anyone use their A159 or A159-1 kit? Anyone aware of a reliable alternative?
*If I do go with the front discs, I will want to improve the master cylinder/booster situation. I don't want to increase travel, so it seems a smaller diameter bore is a bad idea. Anyone using the original MBC from a drum truck with discs?
*CraigerF100 and Ultraranger have older posts on doing an upgrade, in particular to an Explorer set up. Curious if anyone on here did this and what the pedal travel is like? Anyone do this with the original MBC?
*Since I'm unlikely to go to a smaller cam, anyone use dual 7 inch boosters, and what was the pedal feel like afterwards. I may use it in conjunction with a vacuum canister.
*I'm also considering a hydroboost conversion, but have not seen a thread where they were really happy with the result. Seems pedal effort was an issue.

Thoughts are welcome, actual experiences are treasured.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2020, 01:53 PM   #2

Have you considered an electric vacuum pump?
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 05:11 PM   #3

Oops. Was working in two forums, obviously one was about my '69 F100 and managed to post that item here by mistake.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:28 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I'm a classic Ford Truck fan/owner too.

Try this website https://broncograveyard.com/ and this one https://www.dennis-carpenter.com/truckhome for parts and upgrades,

and this one for asking questions https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:20 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Wrong forum, funny. Anyway, consider switching to a Hydroboost system instead of vacuum. Unit is smaller which should solve your clearance issue and runs off a power steering pump. Pump should be easy to add if you don't already have one.
blahargoue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 12:05 PM   #6

I actually meant to post this to ford-trucks.com, in fact I did post it there when I recognized what I had done.

What is interesting is that I've had more replies here that I have there!

I have used Dennis Carpenter for a lot of parts, especially the rubber seals, I haven't found anything useful on the Bronco Graveyard (yet), and I am thinking about a vacuum pump, but I am looking for one small enough to put inside the frame rail so I don't have to put it in the engine bay.

A hydro boost is an option, am looking for a wrecker with a '98 to '04 Ford diesel pickup, but none around here on Vancouver Island.

Here is the truck and the mill I built for it:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cropped Red Truck Front Quarter.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	336.0 KB
ID:	281002   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1181.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	371.2 KB
ID:	281003  

Old 04-09-2020, 01:58 PM   #7

Just went to that SSBC website.
Wow, they started out putting stainless sleeves in Corvette calipers.
Now they don't have anything for Corvettes.
Sad.
F4Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 10:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Just went to that SSBC website.
Wow, they started out putting stainless sleeves in Corvette calipers.
Now they don't have anything for Corvettes.
Sad.
I spent some time on the phone with one of the guys and he was with them for years, left to do something else, and came back after it was re-established. What he said is they are avoiding doing the things you can get from many suppliers - and since so many Corvettes get preserved, there are lots of parts for them.

I also assume a lot of those parts are either made in China, or assembled in NA from parts made in China. Makes it hard to compete for a small vendor.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
I spent some time on the phone with one of the guys and he was with them for years, left to do something else, and came back after it was re-established. What he said is they are avoiding doing the things you can get from many suppliers - and since so many Corvettes get preserved, there are lots of parts for them.

I also assume a lot of those parts are either made in China, or assembled in NA from parts made in China. Makes it hard to compete for a small vendor.
Makes sense. Lone Star Caliper in Tyler Tx makes the sleeved calipers for just about all the aftermarket Corvette companies now.
Old 04-10-2020, 05:21 PM   #10

Just for comparison, roughly 118,000 C2 Corvettes were made from '62 to '67. Not huge numbers, but they were prized and cherished so lots of demand for parts today.

In 1969 Ford made roughly 7,000 F100 4WDs. They made a lot more F250 4WDs but the F250 used the Dana 60 axle and the F100 used the Dana 44. Not a lot of aftermarket parts for the F100 4WD. By comparison the F250 4WD and especially the F100 2WD are easier to find aftermarket parts for.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:02 PM   #11

Does Wilwood have anything for your truck?
I guess you have been all over the forums for this, I'm just spitballin' here.
Old 04-11-2020, 12:19 PM   #12

Wilwood doesn't. They tend to do the high volume stuff. F100 4WDs don't fit that bill.

There is another outfit, Horspower Sales, that have a different approach compared to SSBC. Planning to talk to them too.

Tags
brake, upgrade