RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Brake went POW!!!

I had been sitting in one spot for 3 weeks at home. When I started out, the RV wouldn't move forward nor would rev up. I shifted to Reverse and nothing; I shifted back to D1 and still nothing. Finally by trying to rev the engine something broke loose with a loud bang (POW!!!) and I moved forward. I began my trip and no problems since. Was this the air brake or the transmission? Any thoughts? thanks!
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Likely an air brake.. But anything is possible.

Had a man pull out next to me and what went POW was the plastic block he chocked his tires with.. Pieces bounced off my rig.. I gave him a couple I had to replace the ones he trashed and which I no longer need with the "A". (Used them in my trailer days I did).
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:41 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
It may have been, that the brake adjusters has not been greased -- They are overlooked often, & will hang -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
I had been sitting in one spot for 3 weeks at home. When I started out, the RV wouldn't move forward nor would rev up. I shifted to Reverse and nothing; I shifted back to D1 and still nothing. Finally by trying to rev the engine something broke loose with a loud bang (POW!!!) and I moved forward. I began my trip and no problems since. Was this the air brake or the transmission? Any thoughts? thanks!
It's not uncommon for the brake shoes/linings to stick to the drums if everything was wet or damp when you parked and the brakes were not very warm from use just prior to parking.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:28 PM   #5

Sounds like the shoes were stuck to the drum. Could've been wet or damp when you parked and set the brakes....I've had it happen after washing underneath car/truck and parking it with the park brake set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
Old 07-11-2012, 05:49 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Hello,
My 2 cents I have owned semis for 40 years it could be the brake shoe to the drum and it could be the s cam stuck make sure you grease the slack adjuster and s cam its between the slack adjuster and the brake drum look for the grease fittings on both
Sunkist5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It may very well be the brakes pads stuck to the drums, but why couldn't I get the engine to rev up? Has anyone had that loud "POW" before it started moving?
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:36 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I had the samething happen to me, & when I was at the Monaco Service Center in Harrisburg, OR (now closed) for other repairs, I mentioned the sticking rear brakes --They knew right away what was causing the problem, since they had seen it many times -- The grease zerk for the adjusters are next to the wheel, & overlooked -- They greased the adjusters, that solved the problem -- I usually have Speedco service our coach, & I make it a point to show the tech the adjuster zerks -- Speeco was not at fault for the failure to grease the zerk when I first had the problem -- Monaco was -- The coach only had about 3000 miles on it at the time, so it wasn`t greased before leaving the factory -- Another RVer I know had the sticking brake problem, I told him about the non grease on the adjusters -- Had them greased, & that solved his problem -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #9

What everybody else said,
plus, if your shoes and drums are worn near minimum limits, the S cam will try to go over center, which is a bad thing, POW!
Old 07-11-2012, 08:50 PM   #10

Since we are talking slack adjusters. Remember you do not grease the with a lithium based grease that you use on the chassis you have to used a soap based grease. Check your owners manual for details. Also be careful pumping in grease into those fittings closest to the brakes. Too much will result in grease on the brake shoes. Two to three good pumps is all it needs and wipe off any excess. Also don't forget to adjust those slack adjusters by having the parking brake off and depressing the brake pedal hard all the way down six complete cycles.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:41 AM   #11

I believe in greasing the them also. I had the same problem and the same big POW! Mine released in reverse and I almost put my Windsor right through my house. After I found out about the zerk fittings on the S cams and adjusters I greased them all and all is well. I think everybody above is spot on.
OlyJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I've had the POW a couple times. Both times the "low air pressure" light was illuminated on the dash. I'm guessing that sufficient air pressure is needed to fully release the park brake.
norwestie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake