Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2013, 05:44 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Brakes

Roughly, at what point, (millage wise) do brake shoes need replacing? Disc brakes have a warning sound when waring out. What about shoes?
Grady Ray and Donna
Grady Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2013, 05:57 AM   #2

Grady .... I get almost 3 to one for the front to rear replacements. But I still pull and adjust if needed the rears everytime I play inspection (every other season in my case).
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Grady, according to your profile you are talking about your Imperial DP correct? If so I have seen these things go a couple hundred thousand miles. Way too many factors to give a set mileage for replacement. Things such as driving habits, routes taken, and how often you are using your engine compression brake/exhaust brake. Obvioulsy more interstate miles and using your exhaust brake routinely will help them to last quite a bit longer than mountainous terrain or two lane driving through small towns where you are on the brakes more.

I check mine out each year as part of the annual inspection/maintenance. The disks you can usually see if you get your head in the right position and the drums are quite easy to see as most manufacturers such as Bendix don't install backing plates. The industry standard is when 1/4" of lining is left. I generally use a 1/2" open end wrench as a go/no go gauge. When I can get that open end of the wrench to fit over the lining and the web then I would replace.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I just purchased my "new to me" Beaver in July. Before the dealer would let me have it, he put all new brakes on it. 52000 miles on odometer. My guess is the previous owner did not know how to use the exhaust brake very well.
Wingman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
If they were wore out then the previous owner had to ride them a lot or the auto adjusters were doing something goofy.
Do a search on air brake test, everone should do the test more than once a year.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes