Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2020, 06:35 PM   #1

Braking System

While running from a little hurricane this week, I had a problem with my Brake Buddy. My tire monitor started screaming that I had a high temperature on the front driver's tire of the road. Discovered the brake had dried. Now I need to replace the Brake Buddy, so asking what everyone else is using.
I am using a blueox receiver and would like to keep it if possible as I already have the car adapted to it.

Any suggestions, comments welcome. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200827_193023.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	298838Click image for larger version

Name:	20200827_193137.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	298839
Arby49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2020, 07:33 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Your chosen brand of towbar and your chosen brand of auxillary brake unit really don't have to be related.

I run a Blue Ox Avail as my towbar and after much research I settled on an RVI Brake 3 as my aux brake unit, the cockpit monitor for the RVI Brake also functions as the monitor for my Tire Patrol TPMS system, also made by RVI Brake. One less screen to monitor.

I am pleased with my choice but there will be as many opinions as there are posters on this forum. For me it came down to cost, size, ease of use and setup and portability. The RVI Brake met and IMHO excelled at all these conditions. I did not want to make permanent modifications to my toad to accomodate a braking system so that left me with a choice amongst the floor mounted units.
2 humans, 2 poodles, 2 Kitties and 2 mascots
DaveKingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 12:45 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to C Duck
I have a Brake Buddy and had a problem with it in Lockport, NY. Called Brake Buddy and they sent me a loaner and I was to send them my unit back to them in the same packaging. When repaired, they sent it to the campground where I was going to be. I got it and sent the loaner back. Couldn't have been easier.
You might give Brake Buddy a call.
Old 08-28-2020, 06:13 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Had a Roadmaster Evenbrake, floor mounted unit, and got tired of hooking it up and unhooking it whenever we wanted to drive the toad. We went with an Airforce-1 braking unit and couldn't be happier. It works flawlessly and requires no fiddling---ever.
2007 Country Coach Tribute; Cat C9 400; 2012 Ford Edge toad; Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 10,000 lb tow bar; Demco AF1 Braking System; 2007 BMW K1200LT Hannigan Trike Conversion; Member, IEEE, NFPA, PMI, NRC SRO (Ret).
Talloaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 07:05 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Like Chuck says, call brake buddy. I recently replaced my even brake (different company) and when I talked to their tech support, they offered a great discount trade in to existing customers. I replaced it for less than 1/2 of a new one. Maybe brake buddy offers something like that, it's worth a try.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 05:25 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby49 View Post
While running from a little hurricane this week, I had a problem with my Brake Buddy. My tire monitor started screaming that I had a high temperature on the front driver's tire of the road. Discovered the brake had dried. Now I need to replace the Brake Buddy, so asking what everyone else is using.
I am using a blueox receiver and would like to keep it if possible as I already have the car adapted to it.

Any suggestions, comments welcome. Attachment 298838Attachment 298839
After 13 years using a Roadmaster brake we just changed to the RVi3 brake because in the future we will downsize to a motorhome that does not have air brakes and the Roadmaster brake would be useless. We purchased a Chevy Sonic to move to a lighter vehicle suitable for towing behind a small motorhome. The Silverado truck we were towing came in at about 6000 lbs and just to heavy and large for a small motorhome. We did not want to set up the Sonic initially with the Roadmaster brake because the brakeaway air tank and valve assembly is quite large and not practical under the hood of the Sonic. We looked at all the braking systems out there and settled on the RVi3. We did not want a permanently installed system and wanted something easily moved to another vehicle. The RVi3 fits that bill and is only about 3 inches tall and weights about 10 lbs. Extremely easy to install and use and fits in the lower truck compartment of the Sonic when not in use. I suggest you take a serious look at the RVi3 brake to replace your failed system.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 05:51 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check out NSA Ready Brake. It works good and you have no junk in the floorboard.I love mine. Under $500.00.
hydro45640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 12:03 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We've been using the ReadyBrake system from NSA RV Products since 2012. It's simple, effective, and has a lifetime warranty!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:50 AM   #9

Thanks everyone for the help and advice. I will continue my research, but do not think I want a permanent mount system as I probably won't have my current toad for long.
Arby49 is offline   Reply With Quote