RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2015, 11:02 PM   #1

Braund antenna control

Anyone have an old Braund system they can send/sell me? Does not have to be in working condition--I can make virtually any mechanical part. Mine is working fine, but I'm sure the mechanical part on the roof will soon crap out. I'd like to have a spare to rebuild.

It surprises me that there appears to be no similar system made nowadays. Does anyone know of one?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2015, 07:04 AM   #2

Feel your pain. Ours of the same vintage is very contrary. Goes up just fine but when putting it down it pops up and down. !!

Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:30 AM   #3

Van,
I have one, but it is still mounted on the roof. I've never used it or turned it on. The PO took the antenna off on a low hanging object.
The coach is in storage now but I will remove it next time I have the coach home...probably June.(just needed an excuse to remove it)
PM me your address.
Dennis
rvhotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:54 AM   #4

That would be great! Thanks! Will send PM with my UPS shipper number, and you can send to that address for free.

If anyone else can make a similar offer, I'd appreciate it. It would probably be good to have several of these in case some parts are difficult to make. Basically, I have a machine shop and can make most any part, although I'm saying that without having seen the inside of one of these devices. Perhaps I might even be able to come up with something that could benefit other users.

Thanks again!
Old 03-13-2015, 03:17 PM   #5

I bought my coach 1 1/2 years ago and guess what the seller forgot to tell me the antenna did not work. I unwired the mast and the motor put it right up. I went to put it down and the popping noise. I loosened the set screw and pushed the mast down but needed the wire to keep it all the way down. Tore the cover off and found the gear stripped out. I thing the gear is the weak link of the antenna so if you can make that it would be usefull. Their in thing on google for information. Any other information on repair or convert would be helpful for me and others. Thanks Dan
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:36 PM   #6

Dan, I'll be glad to share whatever I do to fix it. But I've got to get a spare one to work on first.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:20 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I'm am going to try to take off the braund antenea and make an adapter to mount a two leg mounting set up Wineguard Sensar http://www.winegard.com/sensar
On the motorized 3 leg Braund base. That way I'll have remote up and down with remote directional control. I already have the sensar wall plate in the new overhead cabinet.

Jeff
2001 Dynasty Regent tag axle
Cummins 350 8.3 ISC
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 08:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff753 View Post
I'm am going to try to take off the braund antenea and make an adapter to mount a two leg mounting set up Wineguard Sensar Winegard Sensar RV TV Antenna
On the motorized 3 leg Braund base. That way I'll have remote up and down with remote directional control. I already have the sensar wall plate in the new overhead cabinet.

Jeff
Cummins 350 8.3 ISC
Jeff, that is what I've already done--mounted the Winegard Sensar on the Braund 3-leg rotator. I have not had enough time to test how well the antenna works, but the rotator "feels" like it is so wobbly it might crap out at any moment. I mounted a Lexan plate to the three Braund arms to make a "platform" on which to mount the Winegard. I sawed the plastic 2-leg mount off the Sensar, removed the three rubber plugs from the bottom of the Sensar, and used the holes to bolt the Sensar to the Lexan plate. This requires disassembling the Sensar. The Sensar has no fasteners...interlocking tabs just slide into one another and then "pop" together.

I've got some questions about the amplifier that is installed inside the Sensar and what I need to do to adapt the antenna (with internal amp) to my existing system, but have not researched it enough to discuss the subject intelligently yet.

It just occurred to me last night that adapting the mechanical part of someone's obsolete satellite raise/rotate system might be a better way to go than rebuilding the Braund rotator, which seems to have been too flimsy for its application from day one. All the satellite systems I've seen, even the old ones, have a very robust raise/rotate assembly with very little lost motion. Know anyone that has one they will part with? I only need the mechanical part, and it need not be in working condition.

Pursuing all avenues...
Old 03-16-2015, 08:57 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I'll buy a lexon adapter please!!

My Braund has power wires going to the head. I already replaced the old Braund antenna wall plate with the wineguard one because it has a signal meter.
At the sarasota rally a antenna salesman told me the Sensar uses the coax to receive power from the wineguard wall plate. I haven't checked that yet but if so my Braund antenna may have voltage on the coax from the wineguard wall plate.

I'd be interested in the lexon you used and how you fabricated the three connections for the leg pins.
I do have an old Datron Satelite dish that rotates but not manually. I like the Braund base because it rotates and raises/lowers.

Did you put the sensar 3 on or the 4 with the bat wing

Jeff
Cummins 350 8.3 ISC
Old 03-16-2015, 10:37 PM   #10

Jeff, what I did to adapt the Sensar IV to the Braund rotator assembly is more than I would want to do again. I had to machine three aluminum "clevis" pieces to attach to the Lexan plate, and make three brass pins to couple the lexan/aluminum assembly to the Braund lift arms. And sure enough, after all that machining and assembly, I had not operated it a dozen times before something crapped out in the mechanical part and it quit working. I'm done with the Braun, unless I can get another one to open up and see what can be repaired/redesigned/rebuilt.

I'm looking at the new Winegard Rayzar Automatic. A bit pricey, and very little info about it online, but it appears it may actually, mechanically rotate inside the housing. But then, it may also be like the old Rembrandt home systems, and just have an array of fixed antennas that it selects from. I'm trying to learn more.

I am still interested in getting a discarded satellite raise/rotate assembly. Even if I go with something like the Rayzar Automatic, I still need to raise and rotate some kind of directional cell phone antenna for my Internet connection. I am not retired, and I have to communicate with my shop daily if I want to be gone in the coach during the week.

Heading out for Melbourne, FL in the morning to attend the "Runaway Country" music event. I'll be back in about two weeks, but I'll have Internet access during that time.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:13 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Jeff, do you feel the wall plate from wineguard signal meter is worth the money? I'm considering buying one as well
Thx
Mariooch97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 12:26 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Van,

Some parts are still available from Braun, including controllers. I fried mine (really dumb move) and recently replaced it. I also had to replace the magnetic switch that sences up/down position. I guess I fried that too. Some mechanical components, especially the helical gears are NLA, but they seem to have most of the other stuff.
Braun tech support folks are excellent.

Cheers,
Old 03-22-2015, 06:11 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariooch97 View Post
Jeff, do you feel the wall plate from wineguard signal meter is worth the money? I'm considering buying one as well

Thx

When I got it I didn't realize the booster was in the wall plate for the wineguard and the antenea head for the Braund. I was redoing the front overhead cabinet and wanted to upgrade the wall plate. I put in the black wineguard and I like the digital signal meter and the motorized Braund. Worth the money? I guess so. It looks better and offers the digital signal meter that was not on the Braund

Jeff
Cummins 350 8.3 ISC
Old 03-22-2015, 10:09 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Makes sense,
Thanks

Mariooch97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna