Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2015, 11:10 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Break down and fix!

Today. We were heading from Atlanta to St Petersburg, cruising down I-75 at around 70mph when my Check Gauges light came on. First time in the 4 years we have owned this 1994 Monaco Signature.

Engine and transmission temp were higher than normal, but not crazy so we proceeded a mile to an exit and pulled off where it was much safer than on the interstate itself.

The back was covered in transmission fluid, and when I started the engine, the fan just blew the leaking fluid everywhere. I checked the hydraulic tank for the steering/fan and there was no oil on the dipstick.

I called CoachNet and spoke to the customer service agent who took my details and said a tech would call me back as none were available.

A few minutes later, an old pickup with a bunch of semi tires and a compressor on the back pulled over and said they were diesel techs and did I want them to help me. We took a look and they crawled under and found the hole in one of the two small hoses running from (I think) the fan controller to the top of the radiator.

They said they could get a replacement hose made and get it fixed. I asked for a price estimate and it was $85 per hour for 2 hours, plus parts. I gave them the go ahead and they proceeded to take the faulty hose off. I asked them to replace both of them as they are both likely over 20 years old.

I got their phone number and noted their registration number before they left, but it was later that I saw that they had left their tools on the ground near where they were working, so I was sure they were coming back.

Then the CoachNet tech called back, and I told him I was OK and had someone working on fixing it.

I started to clean up some of the mess using degreaser and a hose with hot water. Before I was done, they were back with the replacement hoses and a case of Dextron transmission fluid. They had got the guy to come back and open up to get them made.

They then proceeded to fit the hoses, refill the fluid reservoir, then started the engine and waited for the fan to start up so they could check the level. They had to crack one of the lines to get rid of a air bubble, but then it worked great.

I had to follow them to an ATM to get the rest of the cash as we weren't carrying much.

All in all, it was a great way to recover from a breakdown, and we were mobile again less than two hours after breaking down.

Paul
pwhittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2015, 12:59 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Great story and happy ending! Did they have a company name or number to call should others need help?
Maryland
MusicRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 05:32 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
^^^ agree !
never have enough good techs around

Mine's from a long time ago in Fort Stockton, Texas...
on our way to the grand Canyon, etc.. for our first big vacation in our new to us Class C, stopped at an rv park just northeast of there and after a beautiful night the rv wouldn't start in the morning ! (Dang 318 DODGE gas engine )

long b4 internet on cell phones, so borrowed a phone book and called a local mechanic... he came out and looked and said we'd have to tow it to the shop.

So packed up and all 4 of us rode in the big truck there.
After a bit he discovers the distributor has spun and was broken, would take 3 days since it was Saturday to get a new one... BUT, if we wanted a good used one, he would take it off his personal van and put it on...

We agreed and he did all the work and we never had an issue the rest of the trip and ownership...

Total charge for pretty long tow, 3 hours work, parts, etc... ???? $125 !!!!

I gave him a $50 tip, and wrote to the local paper when we got back !!
Old 07-17-2015, 05:46 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Good news!
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:36 PM   #5

I enjoyed the read and the happy ending!
Bucky1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 06:19 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Glad it worked out for you!

I guess you really can't judge a book by its cover. I had worked in underground mines in East TN. Usually the best mechanics we had were the ones who came off the farm. Usually had good common sense and not afraid to get dirty >>> and honest as the day is long. I still use one of these guys to work my auto's and usually pay him more then he asks.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 05:42 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwhittle View Post
Today. We were heading from Atlanta to St Petersburg, cruising down I-75 at around 70mph when my Check Gauges light came on. First time in the 4 years we have owned this 1994 Monaco Signature.

Engine and transmission temp were higher than normal, but not crazy so we proceeded a mile to an exit and pulled off where it was much safer than on the interstate itself.

The back was covered in transmission fluid, and when I started the engine, the fan just blew the leaking fluid everywhere. I checked the hydraulic tank for the steering/fan and there was no oil on the dipstick.

I called CoachNet and spoke to the customer service agent who took my details and said a tech would call me back as none were available.

A few minutes later, an old pickup with a bunch of semi tires and a compressor on the back pulled over and said they were diesel techs and did I want them to help me. We took a look and they crawled under and found the hole in one of the two small hoses running from (I think) the fan controller to the top of the radiator.

They said they could get a replacement hose made and get it fixed. I asked for a price estimate and it was $85 per hour for 2 hours, plus parts. I gave them the go ahead and they proceeded to take the faulty hose off. I asked them to replace both of them as they are both likely over 20 years old.

I got their phone number and noted their registration number before they left, but it was later that I saw that they had left their tools on the ground near where they were working, so I was sure they were coming back.

Then the CoachNet tech called back, and I told him I was OK and had someone working on fixing it.

I started to clean up some of the mess using degreaser and a hose with hot water. Before I was done, they were back with the replacement hoses and a case of Dextron transmission fluid. They had got the guy to come back and open up to get them made.

They then proceeded to fit the hoses, refill the fluid reservoir, then started the engine and waited for the fan to start up so they could check the level. They had to crack one of the lines to get rid of a air bubble, but then it worked great.

I had to follow them to an ATM to get the rest of the cash as we weren't carrying much.

All in all, it was a great way to recover from a breakdown, and we were mobile again less than two hours after breaking down.

Paul
Wow Paul, that is better than having Van riding in the storage compartment with all his tools!

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 05:58 AM   #8

This is America at its best!!

Frank and Jeannie
2007 Monaco Cayman
JustCruising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 07:53 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We were near Unadilla, GA, just south of Perry. Stan's phone number is (229) 520-7164.

The idea of Van traveling in the basement made me laugh.

Paul
pwhittle is offline   Reply With Quote