Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2021, 02:05 PM   #1

Unhappy Broke Down in Warrenton MO..Turbo

While traveling to Indiana for a family reunion the Windsor may have blown its Turbo? On I-70 in cruise doing 64mph (1510 rpm) when suddenly I hear a pop and engine immediately derates and have white smoke coming from exhaust. I make it to next exit (Warrenton, Mo) to a Flying J truck stop. Their repair shop informs me they do no work on motorhomes and gives me a number to a mobile mechanic. Have not seen the mechanic yet but on phone calls he agrees it sounds like a turbo. Calls back after a couple of hours and says no shop stocks my turbo but may get one expressed in tomorrow at costs of $4200 (complete with actuator but no labor included ). Yikes!!! I gulp and tell him you gotta do what you gotta do. Says he wants to check something else out and will call back (no calls three hours later). I immediately call Cummins Parts for my engine number and find only place with the turbo is their warehouse in Memphis and costs is $5200 (PN 4089637RX). Motorhome only has 96K miles, I purchased with 86 couple of years ago and am conscientious about letting the engine cool 5 min before turning off and just leaving it run when filling with fuel (keep oil on turbo bearing cool). Treatment first 86 by PO????
Anyhow question is could I have damaged just a component of the turbo (actuator, loose line)? I checked all the connections and they feel solid/firm. Any other suggestion for a mobile mechanic in the Warrenton, MO area. I know he is busy but I am a bit worried by this guy (Dave from St Charles?) lack of communication. Any suggestions appreciated.
Bob

PS After retirement I started a little trucking company. I replaced a couple of Turbos on the road in Freightliners (FL70-Cat 3126 and Century-Detroit ) for about half the costs. But as I said you "gotta do what you gotta do"
dca81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2021, 02:18 PM   #2

Have to checked with the engine running that you haven't just split or blown off a flex connector to the CAC or intake manifold or even damaged the CAC it's self ?

Ordering up a turbo , without a full inspection of other possibilities , sound premature.
Old 09-08-2021, 02:29 PM   #3

What he said! ^^^^^^ Make sure you know what the problem is before you go spending that much money.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 03:38 PM   #4

Checked the intake manifold no cracks or black smoke leaks. Actually thought it looked good. Not sure what to check on the intercooler (CAC?)r...it is sort of well hidden from view. Also checked my air filter...it is an Ecolite brand with a metal screen on both sides of the paper filter and only about 4K miles of use. No debris in the intake tube.
Any suggestions/guidance on how to check the intercooler would be appreciated.
thanks for the comments
Old 09-08-2021, 03:49 PM   #5

As already suggested, check the boots/"plumbing" between turbo and CAC and CAC and engine intake manifold. Easy for a boot to pop off or develop a split that reduces boost/takes boost to zero.

And it is the EXHAUST manifold that you would check for traces of black, indicating a leak.
Old 09-08-2021, 04:04 PM   #6

DCA81 don't feel that bad our turbo went at 36,000 miles. By the time we got done $6500. Agree with testing things suggested above. Good luck and I hope it is not the turbo for you.
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 04:45 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
If it turns out to be the turbo, find someone to rebuild it. Mine had to be rebuilt three years ago and it is a large banks turbo. The cost was $1200.

Tim
Old 09-08-2021, 05:01 PM   #8

Look closely at your turbo clamps.
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 05:34 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave&ginny View Post
Look closely at your turbo clamps.
X2 100% agree

about 5 years ago, a hose clamp broke on mine in Tulsa and i got a new clamp at a NAPA store for less than $10 each. (I now carry spares)
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 06:10 PM   #10

A heavy equipment repair service might be able to provide a more reasonable price
Old 09-08-2021, 07:27 PM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Disconnect the hose entering the turbo, reach in, and see if it will spin.
Old 09-08-2021, 08:43 PM   #12

Sorry, I meant the exhaust manifold (no black soot). Thanks for the correction. And yes the hoses to the CAC have issues. The first hose out of the turbo has blown completely off, the second hose is twisted, but could be just from the weight from the hanging tube? I will remove tomorrow to see if I find any debris in the dislodged tubes. Would white smoke come from unburned deisel fuel? Or does it have to come from oil getting by the turbo bearing/seal?
Thanks for the help, I had forgotten entirely above looking at the CAC and tubes. This may be a big money saver.
Bob
Old 09-09-2021, 04:32 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
The couple of times I’ve had the CAC tube boots blow off (on Catarpillar truck engine’s) and leak badly, the exhaust was just darker, it would be my guess it’s your turbo, but it’s had to tell not seeing it.
You should be able to take the intake side off and see how much play is in the turbine shaft I would think. Jmo.
jdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 08:33 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
A lot of helpful information here guys.

Tags
turbo