Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2014, 05:12 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Broken bedroom slide cable

Hi everyone

I just moved the bedroom slide out to check something and the lower left cable has snapped.

The question is: Do I have to disconnect the motor and follow the instructions that are in the manual to get the slide back in the MH so that I can take it to the repair shop.

Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks.

Bill

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
bkphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2014, 06:48 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
When I bought my motorhome, the cable slide had one cable missing. I didn't realize it until I started reading about cable slides and cable breakage on this forum. For several months I operated the slide minus one cable. When I opened up the area where the motor is I could see the broken cable was laying next to the other cables and pulleys. Sure enough, I went to operate the slide in order to work on it and the cable jammed in one of the other pulleys thus locking up the slide. I guess I was lucky that it operated fine all those months.

My point is that the slide will operate with one cable missing as long as the broken one is in the clear of the other cables and pulleys. If you take the cover off and can clear the broken cable out, then I would not hesitate to operate the slide.
Jeep trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:01 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Thanks

The broken cable is still hanging out on the side of the slide. It broke right at the spot where it connects to the lip of the slide. I do not think the cables on the top of the slide near the motor are tangled. I called my repair person and he stated that it may be possible to have a person operate the switch inside the MH and another person to push on the corner where the broken cable is located. This is just to keep all corners to move evenly as the slide retracts. I guess I will try this solution. Any other thought would be appreciated.
Bill
Old 04-24-2014, 08:55 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The same thing happened on ours right after we bought it. I went outside and pushed on the corner while my wife operated the switch. We got the slide in and finished the trip without opening the slide again.

The very next time I tried to open the slide at home, the cable got wrapped up in the pulleys. We were luck that didn't happen on the trip.

Once you get the trim off to access the motor and pulleys the repair job isn't too hard.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:08 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Thanks

WE tried to push it in with no luck. It only goes in about half way and stops

I am at a total loss now. I have taken some of the trim off in the inside but can not get at the point where the cables are attached above the slide because the wood will not come out of the structure. It looks like I may have remove all the sliding bedroom door molding to get the wood in front the system cables.

Some how I have to get this slide in because the repair shop is 75 miles up the highway and I can not drive with it hanging out halfway.

Any help from anybody.

Bill
Old 04-24-2014, 10:54 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Here are some pictures to better explain my statement in my last post.

Any additional help would be really appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 1.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	61308   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic2.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	61309  

Old 04-24-2014, 11:59 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Order a cable from Amazon.com. It comes with a Chinese finger handcuff to connect to the existing broken cable. Attach the new cable to the old one and the go inside and pull on the old cable until the new one threads all the way to the motor. Cut to length and assemble new eye bolt on cable. It comes with a cable crimp the can be crimped nicely with bolt cutters if you go easy on the crimping. There are instructions in the package.

Do not pull out the old cable first, it will take hours to replace the new one. Wait until you have the new one and use the old to pull the new one through.

Slide cable from Amazon

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:15 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycarz View Post
Order a cable from Amazon.com. It comes with a Chinese finger handcuff to connect to the existing broken cable. Attach the new cable to the old one and the go inside and pull on the old cable until the new one threads all the way to the motor. Cut to length and assemble new eye bolt on cable. It comes with a cable crimp the can be crimped nicely with bolt cutters if you go easy on the crimping. There are instructions in the package.

Do not pull out the old cable first, it will take hours to replace the new one. Wait until you have the new one and use the old to pull the new one through.

Slide cable from Amazon
X2 All so, 1/4" cable clamps work if you don't have bolt cutters or a crimper, 25 cents at lowes......Bruce
Old 04-25-2014, 07:49 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I had to take the whole trim piece off above the slide to get to the cables, pulleys and motor. It was held on by some brads and, surprisingly, a few door latches. That's all that holds it on now so I have easy access.

I did not have anything else in the way of the trim. Having the sliding door mechanism in the way bites. Bummmer.

Btw, my cable was inside so I couldn't use the Chinese handcuff and it did take hours for my son and me to feed the cable through and get it on the pulleys. Tight quarters. We used mechanics mirrors to be able to see what we were doing.
Jeep trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:56 AM   #10

We are new to the Monaco Family of coaches (new to us 07 HR Imperial) and am not shure which slide you are referring to.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:16 AM   #11

repair video

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkphotog View Post
Hi everyone

I just moved the bedroom slide out to check something and the lower left cable has snapped.

The question is: Do I have to disconnect the motor and follow the instructions that are in the manual to get the slide back in the MH so that I can take it to the repair shop.

Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks.

Bill

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
I normally read only but you appear to be having quite a time. The following link is to an accuslide repair video. it may help

Cable Replacement Training DVD

What has happen is the cable has wrapped around the motor because it is loose. It has happen to me before. You need to take enough trim off to get to the motor. It is normally at the top center of the slide. Replacing the cable is only an hour job if you leave the old one in to use to pull the new one through with. you will see this in the video.
Silver007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:00 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I'm sure your Neptune is different than my Endeavor but I didn't have anything in the way of removing the trim at the top of the slide.

That said, I recently removed my door slider trim and rails to make some adjustments and it didn't take very long.

Once you do get to the point where the trim is off, the rest of the job is not that hard. Feeding the new cable through the pulleys with the connector they supply is a little harder than they lead you to believe but not "difficult" by any means. I think another member here posted a link to the Accuslide video. I recommend you watch it more than once.

I bought the tools and extra cables to do mine rather than pay an RV "mechanic" to do a poor job.

I made the trim easily removable with trim screws rather than brad nails. I actually carry spare cables and the tools to do another repair on the road if needed.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:39 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ok Everyone

Here is am update on my problem.

I have removed all the trim pieces to get to the cable area above the slide.
I did have to remove the bedroom door slider trim and the rails that support the slider door. No big deal we do not use the door anyways.

Now for the cable:

Again the cable broke on the outside connection attached to the lip of the slide. It is totally frayed. So i went inside and disconnected the bad cable from the connection point with the motor and chain. This at the colored coupler for the "IN" cable. I then tried to see if i could pull on the cable to pull it inside the MH. It would not move. Went back outside to see if i could pull it in the other direction. No luck. At this point i was totally confused. I have a new cable kit coming on Wed of this week but at this point I can not get the broken cable out from either end so attaching the new cable to the old one is not going to work.

So now what do I do. I am open to all suggestions. The slide still will not close and I am still miles away from a repair facility and having a very difficult time getting a mobile RV tech to come out to my home. The slide comes in the MH half way and then it stops in the lower right hand corner causing the whole slide to get totally crooked and out of square. So I have allowed the slide to push out to just try to keep it square. This is where I am currently at a standstill.
Help!!!!
Bill
Old 05-01-2014, 01:46 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Additional help needed on a broken bedroom slide

Really need some assistance.

Please refer to my above post about the broken cable that will not move in either direction. I decided to really pull on the cable to get it totally out and with some heavy muscle in came out. Here is a Pic of what it looks like:

When this cable broke it really wrapped itself around the lower right corner of the slide as you look at the slide from inside. Looks like the strands exploded around itself this was the reason it would not move.

Anyways as stated in my above mentioned post the slide still will not come in all the way. It stops at the lower right corner after moving in about half way. The left side comes in but if one continues to power it in the whole slide get crooked and out of square.

Access to the motor and all the connections above the slide are available because I have removed all the molding and trim wood pieces.

Right now the slide is fully all the way out. The tension on all the remaining cables are tight. Bringing in the slide very slowly after the half way point seems to want to push the lower right hand corner down. This action may be rubbing or catching the carpet in the bedroom - very hard to tell. Maybe because the slide is out of square or out of balance

Does anyone have any ideas what I should be doing next to try to get this slide back into the MH so that I can get to a repair shop and have the cable replaced and have the whole thing re-aligned.

Should I loosen up the connections on the remaining cables to take the tension off and then try to push the slide inside the opening???? If that is the case what cable should I loosen???? Should I rip the carpet out to see if it will clear?????? I am really at a loss and I really do not fully understand how this thing works. I have looked at all of the BAL Accu-Slide video's on their web several times and even have phone calls out to them but they have not called back to my calls. Just great customer service.

I am stuck at my house with no Mobile RV service available. I am on my own and getting very frustrated.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC5.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	245.6 KB
ID:	61898  

Tags
slide