Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2010, 07:23 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
broken latch in closet floor

I am not sure what these latches are called or where to find them. I have two that are broken. Any one know what they are called or where to find them

Thanks
Mat
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2010, 09:41 AM   #2

They are made by Southco. They are called sealed lever latches.

North West RV Supply in Eugene, OR had a batch of them the last time I was there.
Mandys Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:52 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you. North west has some key locking ones.

Mat
Old 02-25-2010, 12:38 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Mat.....I don't know what broke on yours, but you do know they can be locked with a phillips screwdriver. Turning the phillips head screw on top locks and unlocks them so they don't pop open. It took several stubbed toes before I found this out.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:25 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Diplomat Don,

I did not know that either. Thanks. I've had way too many stubbed toes at all hours of the night, too. Finally found a throw rug to put over them. That's helped a great deal, but I will be getting my trusty Phillips out very soon.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:12 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Diplomat Don,

I did not know that either. Thanks. I've had way too many stubbed toes at all hours of the night, too. Finally found a throw rug to put over them. That's helped a great deal, but I will be getting my trusty Phillips out very soon.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Yep, been there done that! I had a few nasty encounters with one of those latches until I figured out I could lock them with a large Phillips. I now keep that large Phillips in drawer near by for when I need to take a look at the engine.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:48 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Diplomat Don,
The problem with the broken ones is they wont close and stay latched. It appears the lip inside where the catch latches is broken so it wont stay closed.

It actually took me a moment to figure out why the ones outside the closet had the phillips lock but the other ones inside the closet didn't but the I realized you could open it up by walking on it with out the lock.

Mat
Old 02-25-2010, 08:45 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Mat....I'm sure you looked at them, but I just thought I would add that they are adjustable too. The arm on the bottom side is adjustable.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:19 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I found the problem. Although it wasn't the arm but looking at that showed me the problem. I thought the latch wasn't caching because it was broken inside. After checking the adjustment of the arm on the back I noticed the mounting bracket on these two was bowed quite a bit. I decided to take them out since I was going to replace them any way. Once they were out I closed them and they latched just fine. What I figured out is the bolt on the back that goes through the mount to hold the latch in place had been tightened down enough it was sticking through the body of the latch not allowing it to close enough to latch. I put extra spacers in and the bolt end no longer interfered with the latch closing and they work fine now.

Thanks again

Mat
Old 03-02-2010, 10:28 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Well, after going back with my trusty Phillips to lock those suckers down, it appears that my latches don't have the locking Phillips screw.

BUMMER!

So I will continue to use the throw rug to cover those suckers up. So far it seems to be doing the trick. Only once I noticed that there was a bump in the rug and I knew right away what needed to be done.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote