Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2011, 12:32 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Broken slide motor - Is this something I can replace

I'm headed out to Yellowstone next weekend and found out my slide motor mounts are broken. I've included a few pictures. My local shop is backed up till late next week. Is this something I can replace myself if I can find a replacement motor? Also, the motor is good, just the moving mechanical piece it bolts onto. Do both pieces have to be replaced?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-05-21_13-04-06_139.jpg
Views:	927
Size:	263.1 KB
ID:	10400   Click image for larger version

Name:	picture 1.jpg
Views:	998
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	10401  

Name:	picture 2.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	10402  
gprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2011, 01:37 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Gary

As you did not mention the motor manufacturer I am going to guess, from the looks of it, that it is a Power Gear motor and gear drive. If it is, Power Gear will not sell direct to you and you can only buy the assembly as a unit unless you can find some that has a gear assembly because their motor burned out and they replaced the entire assembly. I had to replace mine because the motor burned out and I now have a gear assembly. It is a different unit then yours.

When I was trying to buy one, and mine is smaller then the picture of yours I called Monaco and got a price of $900.00, another price from a dealer for the assembly was around $700.00. If you remove the motor and gear assembly from the coach peal back the rubber boot on the end by the power wires and I believe that you will find that while this motor has Power Gear all over it, it was manufactured by Klauber Machine & Gear Co. and there part number is also under that boot.

I bought one direct from them for $125.00 and had it in 3 days. If you can determine that you do have a Klauber assembly call Carrie Pack at Klauber, 636-257-3002 with the part number. I believe because you have an older unit they might sell one direct to you without going through a dealer.

GARRY, I JUST ENLARGED ONE OF YOUR PHOTOS AND SAW KMG ON IT, THAT IS KLAUBER'S TRADE MARK.

Good Luck and I Hope this helps

Bob
Bikedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You said the mounts are broken. Does that mean that the motor and gear still work? If so then maybe you could remove the unit and take it to most any shop to have the mount repaired.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:07 PM   #4

itdave: If you enlarge his pictures the case has 2 large holes where it is broken. I doubt that can be fixed. Bikedaddy that is super information. Most of the 12 volt motors in RV's are not custom made. Like the Kwikee steps! You should send your information to Rex so he can add it to the Monaco parts database.

To the OP: Had you been having trouble with your slide? It looks like a gear must have broken inside that gear box. Normally there is a shear pin on the shaft that should have snapped before damaging the gear box.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 05:59 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thakns everyone! The motor mfg is Klauber. The motor is good, just the bolt mounts are broken. Shame on me for not finding this. There is a 6 foot cover that goes over everything, so I've never looked at it! I cold have kept a check on the bolts if that cover wasn't there. I doubt I will put it back. Here is a close up of the mfg and part number. I have the right side shaft off, but can't get the left side compression nut off, I may have to just take it in and let my extended warranty cover it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20110521_185840.png
Views:	411
Size:	364.8 KB
ID:	10412  
Old 05-21-2011, 06:12 PM   #6

There's a bunch on E Bay for sale. Might get lucky. Klauber gear
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:29 PM   #7

Gary I have a 1999 Endeavor and when at the factory in Indiana for slide adjustment they put a gearbox support on the other side of gearbox because on the problem you are having. Maybe you can fab something on other side of gearbox until you can replace it. Hope this helps.
beejay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:56 AM   #8

What about those 2 big holes in the gear case???
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
What about those 2 big holes in the gear case???
Gearbox has heavy grease around gears, NO oil, may get a couple of drops of separted oil only. Thats all I got from my broken case.
beejay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:45 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay25
Gary I have a 1999 Endeavor and when at the factory in Indiana for slide adjustment they put a gearbox support on the other side of gearbox because on the problem you are having. Maybe you can fab something on other side of gearbox until you can replace it. Hope this helps.
That's a great idea! Wow, you guys and gals are sharp! I didn't even think of that! I ended up dropping it off at the repair shop today due to a lack of time to work on it this week plus we're leaving to go to Yellowstone on Friday. I'll be sure to suggest this to the repair shop tomorroe. One bolt hole that broke still has some thread left, so if I can anchor that side and rig a support bracket on the other side, I'm good to go! I will just have to figure out how to stop up the holes. Maybe a good coat of JB Weld?

Thanks again!
Old 10-01-2013, 05:15 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Same mechanical but different problem

I have a 99 Monaco Dip 38A and this past weekend had the rear part of the den slide not want to come in. I helped it along manually to get home and investigated.

The shaft leading to the rear of the slide had pulled loose and the key was not preventing the shaft from slipping. It appeared the shaft slid forward through years of spinning and actually had moved one of the rollers away from center of the rail it was supporting. I looked under the front tire area and it did not appear the shaft had moved that far. I assume there us a slip joint between the two ends.

I used a pry bar between the gear assembly support and the coupling. I tapped with a hammer on the rear of the shaft and it all slid back together. I also tapped the roller back on center and tightened all the set screws although they weren't that loose.

Which brings me to my question. Since the shaft is free to move either way from the gear box, how can I prevent the shaft from slipping. I don't see anyway. It may be that it took it 14 years to move the first time and I just ned to check it every year or so.

Another question I have is about lubing the bearings. It appears they are sealed. Am I to assume there is no reason to lube?

Also interesting to note that my Dip is the same year as the OP and mine has two supports in the gear assembly. I assume it was a recall?

This forum is a wealth of information. Thanks to all for contributions!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0206.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	46970   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0205.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	46971  

Name:	IMG_0207.jpg