RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2012, 05:18 AM   #1

Broken Slideout Cable.

I have a 2012 Monaco Knight 36' with a full length street side slide. I discovered yesterday that one of the cables on the rear end of the slide is torn and I can not see the end of it . It tore off right at the end. I have watched the video on replacing the cable on the BaL Accu Slide webpage and guess I can replace it ok when I get one . My question, Is it okay to use the slide out with 3 cables . I came from Florida up to Nova Scotia and I have no idea when this cable broke,therefore I have no idea it I have already used the slide with the cable broken. All comments will be helpfull.
hpykmpr47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2012, 06:30 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I would remove trim pieces until you find where the broken cable is, then determine if you can move the slide without jamming the cable or pulley. It is a push/pull system so 1 corner of the slide may need a bit of a push or pull to completely open or close.
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
First, I`ll tell you why the cable broke -- It is out of line -- The cable goes into the coach wall through a small hole in the aluminum framing -- If the cable is not in alignment with that hole, it will rub on the cable & fray it when the coach is under way -- That is why almost all the cable break`s are next to the outside slide wall -- With the slide extended, you can measure next to the outside slide wall, & then, next to the coach wall where the cable enters -- It should be the same -- If not, you can shim, & adjust the carrier where the cable connects to the slide --
I replaced the same 2 cables on our coach before I relized what was causing the problem -- It`s a real pain to replace a broke cable, but about a 30 minute job if you catch it before it break`s, & just frayed -- ALWAYS CARRY A SPARE CABLE -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our Time View Post
I would remove trim pieces until you find where the broken cable is, then determine if you can move the slide without jamming the cable or pulley. It is a push/pull system so 1 corner of the slide may need a bit of a push or pull to completely open or close.
I ordered a new cable from Monaco today but in looking things over I can not see fro the life of me how to get the trim pieces along the ceiling off of our coach . Looks to me like they put them on permament with no plan of them ever being taken off.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
There is a 6 inch wide cabinet that goes all the way cross the top of the slide, next to the celing -- It is not attached to the slide -- The face of the cabinet is 3/4 inch thick -- On our 07 Camelot, that face is secured by about 8 cabinet latches -- I used a table knife to slip between the face & cabinet & gently pryed the face off -- That is where the motor & cables come togeather -- When you get the cable, there will be a crimp fastener in the kit to secure the cable to the motor -- There is not enough room to use a crimper -- I used small cable clamps that I purchased from a home improvement store -- You will also need something to cut the cable -- It`s tough to cut -- The video makes it look easy, but in reality, it`s not -- Hopefully it`s a top cable --
Again, this is on a 07 Camelot, so your cabinet may be different -- Monaco has a habit of changing things often -- Bill Willard
Old 07-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, My Accu-Slide is much smaller.. I used it with 7 cables (you missed 4 cables by the way, there are 8 cables, not 4) for quite some time, Just pushed it manually. Don't know how well that will work with a wall-slide though.

I also had a ton of fun snaking the new cable in Had to do most of it by the brail method (Working by touch only) I do recommend a fish line (Way lighter cable) be snaked in first if you have hard to get to pulleys.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:20 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Bill Willard gives you good advice. A cable crimper is difficult and no room for your arm let alone tools. We marked the cable then pulled it out of the bay to crimp.

We have a 08 Diplomat and the motor and cables are behind a 4" wide trim piece at the top of the slide. Ours was fastened in place with a brad nailer so I used a putty knife to pry it loose. When I was finished, I put the trim back on with wood screws because if you keep the coach long enough you will be in there again.

Don't know what Monaco charged you for a cable but North Trail RV in Ft Myers Fl has the cable kits in stock @ $51.00. If you need there part number PM me and I will get it out of the coach. Considering carrying a spare cable.
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:44 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
If you want to order a spare cable, acts as insurance, check the following Amazon URL, $26 plus shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/BAL-22305-Cabl...al+slide+cable
Old 07-10-2012, 04:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Willard View Post
There is a 6 inch wide cabinet that goes all the way cross the top of the slide, next to the celing -- It is not attached to the slide -- The face of the cabinet is 3/4 inch thick -- On our 07 Camelot, that face is secured by about 8 cabinet latches -- I used a table knife to slip between the face & cabinet & gently pryed the face off -- That is where the motor & cables come togeather -- When you get the cable, there will be a crimp fastener in the kit to secure the cable to the motor -- There is not enough room to use a crimper -- I used small cable clamps that I purchased from a home improvement store -- You will also need something to cut the cable -- It`s tough to cut -- The video makes it look easy, but in reality, it`s not -- Hopefully it`s a top cable --
Again, this is on a 07 Camelot, so your cabinet may be different -- Monaco has a habit of changing things often -- Bill Willard
There is the 6" header piece all along above the slide but I can not seem to get it to come loose. There are smaller raised panels about 4"x24" all along this piece that look as if they should come off but so far I have not been able to get any of them off . I can not believe that Monaco did not allow for access to that motor and cable without having to take the whole 30' or so piece of trim off.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Where are you parked?

I summer in Michigan, Flint/Port Huron area (We shuttle back and forth on I-69 every 2 weeks) and winter in Upstate South carolina. Having done this once, I'm willing to offer guidence if you are nearby.. And what's better, being as I do not like the taste of Alcohol, I work for hot, black, coffee instead of the traditional brew!!
Old 07-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #11

2012 model, maybe a local shop could make the repairs under your warrenty.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Where are you parked?

I summer in Michigan, Flint/Port Huron area (We shuttle back and forth on I-69 every 2 weeks) and winter in Upstate South carolina. Having done this once, I'm willing to offer guidence if you are nearby.. And what's better, being as I do not like the taste of Alcohol, I work for hot, black, coffee instead of the traditional brew!!
We are in Blockhouse , Nova Scotia. I got the covers off of the cable chase and found the cable and motor. Covers were on with both pin nailed and silicone. Of all of the 300 or so specialty vehicles that I built the interiors for before retiring, I have never felt the need to cover up mechanical things with anything that was not easily removed . I think the engineers who design these motor homes need to listen to the guys who build and repair them. Maybe then they will get a little easier to work on. Hopefully the new cable will be here in the next day or so .Monaco told me three days but i am in Canada and it usually takes a day or two more when coming from the US.Thanks for the offer to help if I need it....Alan
Old 07-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Now is the time to engineer your own method of securing the panel -- Just because something comes from the factory a certain way, dosen`t mean it has to stay that way--Our`s is secured with cabinet latches -- Easy off/on --Everyone with the cable slide should find out how to remove this panel -- At some point in time, you`re going to have to access the motor & cables --
If you see the cable fraying, & have a spare cable, it`s not a hard job to replace -- The cable kit has a finger pull type cord, so that you can attach the new cable to the old, & pull it through the maze of pulleys -- Bill Willard
Old 07-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I was just at Navastar Monaco in Coburg for a tune up on my full wall slide and dinette slide. The "jam" nuts were loose and everything had to be tightened up. I suggusted they use blue lock tite, and they thought that was a good idea and so it was done (along with the jam nut). Now the slides go in and out with out any "funny" sounds. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slideout