Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2018, 11:47 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Bubble in exterior wall panel

Hello everyone I have a problem in my exterior wall in bedroom between rear window and back of rv. A larger bouble has formed like the outer skin is separating its about 2' x 2'. Any idea's and how to fix?
geo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2018, 11:57 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
What is the make, model, and year of your motor home?
Where are you located?

ALL motor home manufacturers had issues from 2001-2007 with fiberglass delamination. The problem was from the main fiberglass supplier.
I have seen some of these repaired. A place in Mesa AZ was doing some delamination repairs last year.
A friend had a Newmar coach that was delaminating. He was the original owner and took it to the factory for repair.

One of the IRV2 members posted his repair procedures a few years ago. He was resourceful and parked the coach next to a brick wall building. He cut out the delaminated area, applied high grade epoxy and then used clamps between the brick wall and the coach wall to apply pressure to the wall while it was curing. He then had to fill the cut lines and repaint the area.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 02:24 PM   #3

Geo6
My suggestion is that you look down towards the bottom of this page
where there is a box labeled " similar threads "
You should find some informative reading there

Delamination is almost always caused by water intrusion into the area
so you should thinking about how that water is getting in
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 06:03 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
He has a Camelot and I had a similar problem with my Dynasty. Drilled a small hole at the bottom of the bubble to let the water out. Spent several hours trying to find where the water was getting in without success. Finally figured I was getting water when I ran the rear AC...drain line was plugged. Did not try and fix although I thought about drilling several holes at the top and putting wood floor repair liquid adhesive in and pressing the bubble back.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 09:00 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We had something similar to that on an 01 Ambassador, below the curb side bedroom window. I got a long drill up from in the wheel well into the bubble and drained it. Finding the leak was much harder. started at the window and eventually ended up at the roof AC in the bedroom. From vibration on the road, the bolts were all loose by at least 1/4" as the gasket had compressed, I tightened them and had no further problem after that, and the bubble was no longer noticeable after it dried out, which did take some time. Hope this may help, Happy Trails Bert
Old 09-01-2018, 09:07 AM   #6

Delamination is the bubble. The filon skin has let go of its luan backing. The luan has gotten wet and the layers have separated.

You need to find and stop the leak.

Do a search here for delamination repair and you'll get lots of information. There are numerous techniques for the repair, none of which are easy, but all doable. I'm repairing serious delamination on a coach now. I am going to remove part of the side of the rig to reattach the filon to new substrate. You may be able to get away with an epoxy injection which is much less difficult.
Brob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:07 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Bubble in exterior wall

Thanks everyone for the help. Think I will look at the rear ac and see if leaking then drill couple of small holes in bubble and see if water comes out. Then go from there.
geo6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panel