RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2016, 12:52 PM   #1

Buying a 2006 Safari Chettah

Buying a 2006 Safari Chettah, does anyone have any issues I should look for in the pre-buy inspection?
Also looks like the CAT 350 has an oil pressure of 25 - is that normal, mt Monaco Diplomat with a 330 Cummins runs around 50.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2016, 01:07 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTeriOTR View Post
Buying a 2006 Safari Chettah, does anyone have any issues I should look for in the pre-buy inspection?
Also looks like the CAT 350 has an oil pressure of 25 - is that normal, mt Monaco Diplomat with a 330 Cummins runs around 50.

Thanks
Some Cummins engines will only read 50 due to the sending unit just being an on/off type switch that doesn't really read the true pressure.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 01:08 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Chuck-

You could compare notes with iRV2 user "forestmom," who just bought a 2006 Cheetah, too. Here's their introductory post.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 01:41 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Hello Chuck,

I have a 2008 Cheetah 38PDQ. Nice coach. Have had it for about 4 years.
My brother has a 2007 40' Cheetah.

My only advice is to look at the maintenance logs. Regular oil changes, air and fuel filters, valve adjustment, anti-freeze replacement or testing, wheel bearings, tires, batteries, etc.

I wouldn't want a coach that was severely neglected.

As for oil pressure my coach runs from 25 to 45 lbs depending on temp and engine load. Perfectly normal.

I have a world of improvements to share with you should you finish the purchase.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:33 AM   #5

I just picked up a 2006 Cheetah. Going through it now...looking forward to our first trip shortly.
nightstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:16 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We bought our 2006 Safari Cheetah 40'PMT about 2 years ago and LOVE IT. No big problems yet (knock, knock), and we've put about 10K miles on it. Several small problems I could fix myself; furnace sail switch, circuit board and thermocouples on the water heater, block heater cord, ran outta beer, to name a few.

I show fairly low oil pressure too, but I have some knowledge of fluid dynamics and it tells me not to worry. If the computer isn't worried, I'm not worried.

There are some issues with the Roadmaster RR4R rear trailing arms, have them check these out in your pre-buy.
Here's a link: sourcerv.com/RoadmasterR4R_FMC1109.pdf
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:40 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
2006 Cheetah

We bought ours in December of last year and have put about 10000 miles on it. I guess we have had issues the biggest was a fuel tank leak that was a big deal. No maintenance records so i had all of the service items and filter and fluid changes. Replaced the tires in August and broke a engine belt on a trip last month. My fried who drives over the road told me to change the belt but I figured an inspection would work. Wrong. Want to look at the Radiator hose next before a big trip in May. We had a lot of little issues that I don't want to think about like the cover over the slides tore first trip, washer never work correctly and something to really check is the box in the left rear compartment that switches from shore to Generator. It stopped working and when it was opened it was a burnet mess. There is safety recall on that switch.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:46 PM   #8

Thanks for the tips, Frank- I like that avatar, I think I will use that..
Going to change the oil and filter in the radiator tomorrow. I am sure I will be asking alot of questions of you guys..
Old 12-13-2016, 12:11 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
We bought our 2006 Safari Cheetah 40'PMT about 2 years ago and LOVE IT. No big problems yet (knock, knock), and we've put about 10K miles on it. Several small problems I could fix myself; furnace sail switch, circuit board and thermocouples on the water heater, block heater cord, ran outta beer, to name a few.

I show fairly low oil pressure too, but I have some knowledge of fluid dynamics and it tells me not to worry. If the computer isn't worried, I'm not worried.

There are some issues with the Roadmaster RR4R rear trailing arms, have them check these out in your pre-buy.
Here's a link: sourcerv.com/RoadmasterR4R_FMC1109.pdf
Seems like most problems are minor...but running out of beer?!?!
unpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 05:21 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
"Going to change the oil and filter in the radiator tomorrow."

Am I missing something?? Is there a filter in the radiator??
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 05:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
"Going to change the oil and filter in the radiator tomorrow."

Am I missing something?? Is there a filter in the radiator??
I noticed right after I posted my mistake, and could not find a way to edit my post.

Just got so excited and combined changing the oil/filter in the genny and replacing the radiator hose (5 feet long)

I didn't get too far as I did get the old hose off and got a new one. Just in time too, just pulling it off it split. So the new one is a pia to get on. Engine side seems loose and coolant bottle side---well I still have not got it all the way on, too tight and hard to reach. The ran out of light/time so will continue tomorrow.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightstick View Post
I noticed right after I posted my mistake, and could not find a way to edit my post.

Just got so excited and combined changing the oil/filter in the genny and replacing the radiator hose (5 feet long)

I didn't get too far as I did get the old hose off and got a new one. Just in time too, just pulling it off it split. So the new one is a pia to get on. Engine side seems loose and coolant bottle side---well I still have not got it all the way on, too tight and hard to reach. The ran out of light/time so will continue tomorrow.

Small mistake and very glad there is no oil or filter in the radiator!

On the plus side you do know how to spell your model name, Cheetah, which is not a universal trait apparently.

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:15 AM   #13

Couple of questions:

1) Why is there two hot water switches (when do I use them)

2) Whats the part # for the engine belt C7 motor - How/where can I search for parts for this coach?

3) can i operate slides when only plugged into my house.(have not plugged in yet waiting on adapter)

4) how does the satellite work ? Do I have to subscribe to that or something?

5) Does everyone have a roadside assistance membership ?
Old 12-16-2016, 09:35 AM   #14

Quote:
1) Why is there two hot water switches (when do I use them)
One is to heat the water with propane and the other is to heat with electricity. Which to use is your choice. You can use both at the same time. I really hope you have the user manual for your coach.

Quote:
2) Whats the part # for the engine belt C7 motor - How/where can I search for parts for this coach?
I do not have a part number but, you can contact Monaco.

Quote:
3) can i operate slides when only plugged into my house.(have not plugged in yet waiting on adapter)
No you do not need to be plugged in.

Quote:
4) how does the satellite work ? Do I have to subscribe to that or something?
Yes you will need a receiver and subscribe to a service. DirecTV, DISH, etc.

Quote:
5) Does everyone have a roadside assistance membership ?
Yes, there are several options. Search the forums and you will find lots of information.