Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2011, 09:10 PM   #1

Buying Advice for Used 2000 Diplomat

I am in the middle of buying a used 2000 Diplomat and was wondering of someone could answer a few questions I have seen come up. My background is 8 years of Class A gasser MH and I am new to the DP Class A's.

1. What is the Idle Increase/Decrease switch used for, and how much change should you see in idle from lowest to highest?

2. Does the "Low Fuel" light work on this year and model of Monaco? If so, should the light test when you turn on the ignition key? At what gallon level should the light come on?

3. The A/C units on the roof say "Duo Therm". Does this mean that they are heat pumps also?

4. Is there such a thing as a chasis Maintenance Manual for these units?

5. Who would you normally go to for chassis maintenance? W Chicago Area?

6. Are most people using synthetics in the engine and trans?

6. What kind of mpg should I expect not pulling anything at 60mph? ( this unit has the ISC engine with MD3060 transmission).

I have learned alot from you folks and look forward to all the help this forum will provide as I will attempt to keep things running smoothly and economically.

I had a short conversation with Monaco in OR, and they indicated they will be reopening a service center in IN soon. This could be of help to me as I live near Chicago and Elkhart is not too far away.

Thanks in Advance for any help.
00MonDip is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2011, 09:49 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
1. What is the Idle Increase/Decrease switch used for, and how much change should you see in idle from lowest to highest?

I'm not sure how the older idle switch's were designed and what they were used for. I have a SmartWheel that allows me to increase my idle at warm up, (once I see I have oil pressure). This allows the air bags to inflate more quickly when departing your campsite.

2. Does the "Low Fuel" light work on this year and model of Monaco? If so, should the light test when you turn on the ignition key? At what gallon level should the light come on?

Again, someone with that year model will have to answer your question. I've never waited for my light to come on. You should comfortably be able to get 600-700 miles out of a tank of fuel. I don't like letting my tank get more than 2/3rds down because you lose the use of the generator after that.

3. The A/C units on the roof say "Duo Therm". Does this mean that they are heat pumps also?

Dometic is the manufacturer of the DuoTherm. That model is no longer made, but has plenty of parts available. I believe all of the DuoTherm units are heat pumps.

Monaco offered a chassis maintenance book back in 2005 for mine. You could previously buy the book at the Monaco store online, but their online store really has nothing in it. You would have to check Monaco parts for a new one or find someone who has an old copy.

Any large truck repair could service that coach. Some use SpeedCo and others just go to an RV shop.

I don't know of many people that use synthetic oil in their engines. In my opinion its a waste of money and very pricey. A good heavy duty oil rated for diesel engines is sufficient. I use Rotella available at WalMart.

The Allison transmissions predominantly uses Transynd oil. Even the older models can use it.

6. What kind of mpg should I expect not pulling anything at 60mph? ( this unit has the ISC engine with MD3060 transmission).

Fuel consumption is tough to call. My guess on that coach with a light foot on level ground would be 9+.

Sorry some of my answers didn't give you exactly what you're looking for, but I thought I would get the ball rolling. I'm guessing Rex will pop in and give you some really specific answers.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:16 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
00MonDip,
I will wait with you for someone to respond. I also have a 2000 Dip and have the same questions. I spoke today with Rob Monaco tech support. I asked what my Allison left the factory with. DexronIII or Synthetic. Rod said Monaco didn't use synthetic till 2001. I asked if I could add synthetic... Transend? He said NO!! I would hurt the tranny because I would be leaving Dexron in the converter. He said the "ONLY" way would be to have an Allison service center to flush the system of Dexron and convert to Synthetic. I asked if I could use Dexron VI and Rob said that would be OK. Thats good info as of 10AM this morning. Sure hope someone comes along with chassis lube points. Good luck with your new rig,
John
Old 10-13-2011, 06:31 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkerB View Post
00MonDip,
I will wait with you for someone to respond. I also have a 2000 Dip and have the same questions. I spoke today with Rob Monaco tech support. I asked what my Allison left the factory with. DexronIII or Synthetic. Rod said Monaco didn't use synthetic till 2001. I asked if I could add synthetic... Transend? He said NO!! I would hurt the tranny because I would be leaving Dexron in the converter. He said the "ONLY" way would be to have an Allison service center to flush the system of Dexron and convert to Synthetic. I asked if I could use Dexron VI and Rob said that would be OK. Thats good info as of 10AM this morning. Sure hope someone comes along with chassis lube points. Good luck with your new rig,
John
John it sounds like Rod didnt know what he was talking about on the Allison, yes you will have Dexron ll or lll but if it was changed every 2 yrs or 25000 miles it should be it will be Dexron lll or Transynd, Transynd can be used without flushing it just means that the fluid will be mixed with dexron and in 2 yrs or 25000 miles when you change again then you will be the same as 100% Transynd and wont have to change as often, there is a good thread by a guy that is a Allison expert on this forum and he recommends rather than changing at the required time have a sample tested to see the condition of the fluid, could save a lot of cash and makes sense to me.
AC, no the 2000 Dip did not come with the heat pumps unless it was added as a extra, Duro-therm Penguin low profile are still made in the 13,500 and the 15,000 heat pump and without, I just got through replacing one .
Gosh the lube points are quite a few one main point is the drive shaft. the best thing I can think on this is go to this forum and join then go to the file section for the lube points and lots of other info
Monaco-Coach-Owners-Association : Established for the enjoyment of Monaco Coach Owners.
Also another forum and also check their file section for info and a parts info for Monaco coaches
Monacoers : Monacoers
All 3 forums are a good source of info.
I do have a Maintenance Manual that was given to me by Monaco at a Monaco rally in 03 that you can have for the ship cost.
Fuel milage is hard to say for it will change drastically with a head wind or tail wind and the speed you drive, what I have found driving our 2000 Dyn with a ISC 350 is 9+ at 60 mph and no hills of very few and no head wind and the Dyn weighs a little more than the Dip.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:14 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Walt2137,
After much reading on this forum I tend to agree with you. I bought the Diplomat last year with 32K miles and it now has 42K. Before purchase all maintenance was done. I'm just trying to be prepared should I need to add a quart in the future. I am definitely interested in the maintenance manual and will PM to make arrangements. 00MonDip, I have been getting 7.8 MPG but I am towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee. If I could get 9+ MPG I'd go to the trouble of figuring how to post a happy face!! Regards, John
Old 10-13-2011, 10:33 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
RE mileage; I flew back to Indianapolis to pick up our "new" 200 40' Dynasty (ISC 350). Since I was in a hurry to get home, I drove the speed limit where I could. The first fill up, with a lot of stop and go was 9 MPG. The second tank with a bit of 70 MPH driving I got 9.6 MPG. I can't wait to see what it will do at 55 with our Subaru in tow.
norwestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:05 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
00MonDip
I made a mistake in my earlier post. I get 8.7 MPG pulling the car, NOT 7.8.
John
Old 10-13-2011, 05:51 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
The transition from conventional trannie fluid to Transynd took me 2 years. Do the first change in 2011, drive your rig for 1 year and then change it again 12 months later.

The Allison website has complete instructions on how to do this and by changing it in this fashion you will convert it to synthetic. By the way...this now changes the mileage and year requirements for the trannie up to 36 months so it's worth the extra money. You will also need to upgrade your trannie filters as well.

I have an '01 HR Endeavor which is basically identical to the Dip although we do have an ISC 330 instead of 350.
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:48 PM   #9

I appreciate the responses so far. I do plan on changing over to the Transynd for the Allison.

If anyone else has a Maintenance Manual available, I would be interested in one. Guess I didn't answer fast enough on that one.

I will post other questions and observations as I gain some experience in my unit.
00MonDip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00MonDip View Post
I am in the middle of buying a used 2000 Diplomat and was wondering of someone could answer a few questions I have seen come up. My background is 8 years of Class A gasser MH and I am new to the DP Class A's.

The switch operates by repetely hiting INC or DEC. I think there is about a 500 rpm change.
I don't think the lamp comes on during the test mode. I'll have to check on mine, but I don't think so. Mine comes on at the 20 gallon level.
No heat pumps unless they were changed. You might have the optional "heat strips" installed.
Yes there is. I picked one up at Perry some years ago. I will be happey to send you a copy if you PM me.
A good truck repair shop should be able to handel it.
When I changed my filters I used Dextron III.
Usually around 8 to 9 depending on terrain. We get about 8 pulling a Grand Chrokee.
I have learned alot from you folks and look forward to all the help this forum will provide as I will attempt to keep things running smoothly and economically.

I had a short conversation with Monaco in OR, and they indicated they will be reopening a service center in IN soon. This could be of help to me as I live near Chicago and Elkhart is not too far away.

Thanks in Advance for any help.
We bought ours new in 2000. Have about 75K on it right now. Biggest problem was busted off exhaust manifold bolts.
Greg
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:46 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
00MonDip,
After talking with Walt2137 I decided it was not the manual I was looking for. So..... PM Walt and see if it is what you need.
Regards,
John
Old 10-14-2011, 07:19 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by norwestie View Post
RE mileage; I flew back to Indianapolis to pick up our "new" 200 40' Dynasty (ISC 350). Since I was in a hurry to get home, I drove the speed limit where I could. The first fill up, with a lot of stop and go was 9 MPG. The second tank with a bit of 70 MPH driving I got 9.6 MPG. I can't wait to see what it will do at 55 with our Subaru in tow.
It probably wont shift into 6 th gear at 55 but once in 6 it will hold at 55.
At 65 our Dyn with no wind gets about 8.2 to 8.4 and at 62 mph 8.6 to 8.8 and at 59 to 60 it will get above 9 mpg all the milage info got with Silverleaf program that has been corrected to the correct MPG and MPH and odometer.
I have no idea what our coach would get at 70 mph but most that I know that drive that fast get below 8 mpg, so what ever is giving you that super milage I hope it continues for you.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote