RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2011, 04:05 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
C of C Awning Drive Repair

Awning Drive Repair.pdf

While driving home Sunday from the rally in Burleson TX, on Hwy 77 just north of LaGrange, we had the misfortune of our patio awning started to open shortly after we were hit with a strong dust devil. I was able to pull off the road. While trying to get it rolled back up, it decided to totally open. All the motor would do is start to roll up then slip and open again. We were able to get it rolled up with me on the roof and DW on the ground. We were able to tie it off with some cords. On Monday after we got home I took the awning drive apart and found the problem. Due to poor engineering the shaft was able to rotate in the awning tube and not turn the tube and wind up the awning. Attached is the fix I did to correct the problem. If you have one of these awnings, itís only a matter of time and yours may do the same thing.
Gordon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2011, 04:16 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Just excellent explanation of the problem and the fix.

Thank you very much for that although I sincerely hope that I will never have to make use of your recommendation.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:16 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Larry, good job, you shouldn't have anymore problems with the awning unrolling. It almost looks like there should have been a set screw put thru the bell cap to the flat of the shaft at the factory. I like your fix better.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:18 PM   #4
JFC

Monaco Owners Club
Greatr job on the repair. Had the same problem with our 2007 coach and C of C awning while we were travelingin Texas last year. Had to have mobile tech come to RV park to repair. Carefree was absolutely no help with the problem and I tend to agree, if you have C of C awning, and haven;t had the problem yet, you will. Again, great job of doing the repair and of explaining it.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:32 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Good job, Gordon! Thanks for the write-up. My new-to-me Windsor has one of those awnings and I wondered what kind of problems it might offer up.
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:39 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Gorden, Had this happen to me, but due to high winds I had to eventually had to razor the awning and tie it up to get to our next location. I also had to tie rap the arms and top to get back home. Finally took it to be inspected at a Carefree repair facility. Carefree said mine was under warranty to the end of October 2011 (Luck). They are replacing the awning material, end cap and the black piece that attaches the uniguard to the awning.
chiefdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:40 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefdave View Post
Gorden, Had this happen to me, but due to high winds I had to eventually had to razor the awning and tie it up to get to our next location. I also had to tie rap the arms and top to get back home. Finally took it to be inspected at a Carefree repair facility. Carefree said mine was under warranty to the end of October 2011 (Luck). They are replacing the awning material, end cap and the black piece that attaches the uniguard to the awning.

I don't know if mine is still under warranty or not. However, I considered ordering a new bell cap but figured it would be the same poor design and sooner or later it would do it again.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:42 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Great Job Larry, I was comming back from Quartszite following my friend when his Carefree let go and came out all the way and flew up on the roof. Luckly I was behind him because it took the both of us to secure it so we could get home. I am going to use your fix and do mine.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:11 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Larry, same thing happened to me, as it will eveyone with this awning. Poor engineering as you stated.

Keep in mind you can swap end caps if this should happen again, which I did to repair mine, they are both the same.

Contacted Carefree when I got home. Had to go through the dealer as they will not send you the parts direct. However, they sent re-engineered end cap and motor assembly. Doubled their warranty because of this issue. Double keyed shaft and cap.

So far so good.
Dancing Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:53 PM   #10

Great illustration of a hands-on solution to a problem we had last year after loosing ours in a 70 mph headwind in Montana. I got it shop repaired under warranty, but then installed a $45 Awning clamp from CW to try to insure we don't experience that again!
jvanfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:25 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Going to pull my end caps off to see if Carefree has corrected this issue, if not, I will follow your plan for pinning it myself. We lost our awning to high winds while driving through SD in September.

Had to lay on the roof in 50 mph + gusts and roll the awning in by hand, then tie it up. Don't ever want to try that again.

Seems like they should have recognized the design flaw by now and corrected.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Update: I ended up removing the cotter pin and installed a 5/32" dia. roll pin. The cotter pin was a little soft and had cut marks in it where it went through the shaft. The roll pin is harder and shouldn't shear as easily.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:34 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon66 View Post
Update: I ended up removing the cotter pin and installed a 5/32" dia. roll pin. The cotter pin was a little soft and had cut marks in it where it went through the shaft. The roll pin is harder and shouldn't shear as easily.
Larry,

Just wanted to thank you for the nice PDF file with photos. I have saved it as a reference because the awning drive shaft fix is on my list of things to do. I definitely need to do that before going out west again.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:51 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon66 View Post
Larry,

Did you do your fix with the awning extended? Great post and pictures thank you.

Tags
awning, repair