Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2020, 11:45 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
C02 Alarms going off!

Hi folks!

My C02 alarm under my fridge started going off. I thought it was a false alarm but then the one in the bedroom started going off. I have turned on all the fans and shut off the gas water heater (the only thing that was on).

What does that mean? Doesn't it need a propane flame or something to turn them on?
BobJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2020, 12:02 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Can charging the batteries (hydrogen) cause the alarms to go off? I only had two things going on, one, the coach batteries were heavily charging because the unit was on the inverter for most of the day. Two, I had the gas water eater on, although it gets used every day with no issue.

I have both AC units on Max fan and also the fantastic vent sucking air into the unit on full power. Now that the air has changed the alarms are off. But his has me really concerned.

I've opened the trunk to look at the engine, it's not burning. I walked around the whole unit with a flashlight, nothing is visibly on fire or smells.

Could it be the gassing from the batteries as I had closed both compartments for the night.
Old 10-08-2020, 12:06 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Aha! From the Internet....

"Carbon monoxide alarms are vital pieces of safety equipment used to protect workers and residents from poisonous carbon monoxide gas. But, did you know that hydrogen gas from charging batteries can set off the alarms as well."
Old 10-09-2020, 08:35 AM   #4
YC1

Yep, as well as low batteries and sleeping dogs nearby. Gas is gas.
Hydrogen gas is what was in the Hindenberg Blimp. One little spark and you too could be in flames. Normal well fed and young batteries give off little gas and are much safer to be around so you need to determine the state of the batteries etc. Over charging, charging too fast, sick batteries, all can lead to a real disaster. I have been around a few that did explode and it was not pretty.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:14 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
They also work well as audible low voltage alarms.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:53 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You do not have a CO2 alarm. You will have a CO (carbon monoxide) alarm and a propane alarm. The propane alarm is mounted near the floor.

As noted, many fumes from dog farts to hair spray and perfume can set them off. Also, you need to vacuum off the face of them periodically.

These alarms have a life of 5 years (some claim 7 years) and most have a EOL or Endof Life signal they will sound.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:55 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I also found that they have a shelf life and wear out. If they get old enough, they will start going off for no good reason.... they are fairly inexpensive so if they are several years old, you may need to replace them.
Sheriffbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 04:12 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
You do not have a CO2 alarm. You will have a CO (carbon monoxide) alarm and a propane alarm. The propane alarm is mounted near the floor.

As noted, many fumes from dog farts to hair spray and perfume can set them off. Also, you need to vacuum off the face of them periodically.

These alarms have a life of 5 years (some claim 7 years) and most have a EOL or Endof Life signal they will sound.

Ken
Hi Ken. I just checked it...and you're right The one by the fridge is a propane detector. I always thought it was a CO detector.

Mine are 20 years old. I looked into replacing them but it seems the new versions have a 10 year timer in them. They count to 10 years and then start beeping. I guess I should probably replace them, although, they seem to be working. First the propane one went off and then, shortly after, the bedroom one.

Probably the smart move would be to seal up the battery bay so that the hydrogen can't leak into the unit or the engine compartment.
Old 10-09-2020, 06:46 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
Hi Ken. I just checked it...and you're right The one by the fridge is a propane detector. I always thought it was a CO detector.

Mine are 20 years old. I looked into replacing them but it seems the new versions have a 10 year timer in them. They count to 10 years and then start beeping. I guess I should probably replace them, although, they seem to be working. First the propane one went off and then, shortly after, the bedroom one.

Probably the smart move would be to seal up the battery bay so that the hydrogen can't leak into the unit or the engine compartment.
Get rid of them if they are 20 years old. The are not reliable.

Not sure of your set up, but you don't want the batteries in a sealed compartment. There's nothing wrong with venting them in the engine compartment. Many coaches have batteries there. They need fresh air if they are wet cells. But you definitely don't want them venting into the coach.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:23 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Do not seal your battery compartment please
they are vented for a reason...
Old 10-15-2020, 11:36 AM   #11

My 12V Propane/Gas Detector went out after 15 years of service. We were on the road heading to Arizona so I had to cut one of the wires tell I got a new one from Amazon. The new ones have a 5 year lifespan (built-in-timer) here is the one I ordered.
2stroker Click image for larger version

Name:	20201015_101901.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	304824
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarms