Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2020, 09:04 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Cabinet and Drawer Edge Detail

Has anyone found a source for a router bit that matches the original Monaco wood cabinet and drawer edge detail?

I've scoured my sources (rockler and others) and can't find a close match. Hoping maybe I missed it.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2020, 10:50 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Take the profile or better yet a piece of the trim to a Woodcraft or Rockler store. Those people are good at matching up router bits. Maybe a local woodworking business like a cabinet makers shop could get you what you need.
Chuck and Robbin Harrison....plus 1 PB, a G Pyrenees and 1 Jack Russell. Zenie, Smokie and Buddy ! 1998 38' Monaco Dynasty Duke with a 8.3 Cummins. Everyday truck is a 2010 F150 XLT 4x4 and 2016 Ford Escape.
Migkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 11:29 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
thanks for replying,

Yep, I thought about that. Closest Rockler is 2 hour drive one way. I've got my own shop, so easy to make it once I get the correct bit. Everyone closer to me wants to make the doors for me.

Was hoping someone here already went through this and has a router part # from somewhere.
Old 08-26-2020, 12:22 PM   #4

You can try https://www.eagleamerica.com/ or whitesiderouterbits.com
Tdccmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 05:09 PM   #5

Bill-

I know you want to make your own, and I can't help you there.

But, for someone else who sees this thread, he may want to but a door that closely matches. I was considering a custom cabinet door from Barker Door (link here). The price was not bad, and I seem to remember one of the stile profiles was pretty close to that used on our 2008 HR.

Also, when I wanted some doors that matched our 1998 Class C, I took the profile and had a local sawmill order a set of custom Woodmaster moulding blades. It cost me about $100 for the blades and $50 for the materials; the sawmill did the work. I just assembled the parts they made.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:42 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Bill-

I know you want to make your own, and I can't help you there.

But, for someone else who sees this thread, he may want to but a door that closely matches. I was considering a custom cabinet door from Barker Door (link here). The price was not bad, and I seem to remember one of the stile profiles was pretty close to that used on our 2008 HR.

Also, when I wanted some doors that matched our 1998 Class C, I took the profile and had a local sawmill order a set of custom Woodmaster moulding blades. It cost me about $100 for the blades and $50 for the materials; the sawmill did the work. I just assembled the parts they made.
Mark,

Thanks for the info. I'll check them out.

My cabinet project is kinda a multi phased one. The current one is a cabinet door repair. This door has a glass insert and accidentally got jammed as the slide was going out. Surprisingly, the glass made it out without breaking.

I have the exact bits for the inside detail trim that holds the glass in. It's the outside edge detail that I'm having a real tough time matching up.

I have a lead on a possible match. I hope to know more tomorrow.
Old 09-29-2020, 07:12 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I was able to match bead board from 1932 on a tall ship I was working on using an old tool (easy to make with basic skills) called a scratch stock. I created the blade profile from an old saw blade and mounted it in the scratch stock. You basically just keep scraping the edge of the board until the profile is there. Not quite a simple as using a router but it was very satisfying to me to use this vintage tool on a vintage vessel. I ended up making 18' of tongue and groove bead board with the scratch stock and a table saw. Check out my work,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scratch_stock
Old 09-29-2020, 07:28 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
one more pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scratch stock.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	302855  
Old 09-29-2020, 07:35 PM   #9

Is there any way you can use 2 bits to make the profile? I don't know what it looks like but I've seen that done before. Otherwise I'm thinking the custom bit is the way to go.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:36 PM   #10

I probably have a similar profile in my Diplomat, and I found it was "similar" to certain ogee bits from Home Depot... But I ended up going to a 45 degree straight profile for some new doors to go with the cabinets that I just finished rebuilding. Sometimes it is nicer to just find a new shape and start again.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:55 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
After scouring catalogs online and finding a few that “I thought might work”, I ended up taking a cabinet door to a Rockler store a couple hours away. Found a bit that is a very close match. After I got home, I went on their web site. The bit I got wasn’t even close to what I would have ordered online.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:58 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbro View Post
one more pic
I’m impressed. That art of craftsmanship is fading fast.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:16 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Just having to do a one off is always a pain.

I was doing some renovation for a couple who were selling their house. There German Shepard had damaged one of the French doors with multiple glass panes, it clawed at the door. I was able to remove individual pieces and took one home and after using multiple bits and passes was able to duplicate to the point that when I cut individual mitered pieces and put back together you couldn't tell that I had done it. The wife was impressed.

I haven't looked at my doors and luckily haven't had to try and duplicate.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:32 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Just having to do a one off is always a pain.

I was doing some renovation for a couple who were selling their house. There German Shepard had damaged one of the French doors with multiple glass panes, it clawed at the door. I was able to remove individual pieces and took one home and after using multiple bits and passes was able to duplicate to the point that when I cut individual mitered pieces and put back together you couldn't tell that I had done it. The wife was impressed.

I haven't looked at my doors and luckily haven't had to try and duplicate.
I have a pretty good assortment of bits from over the years. I tried the multi bit method but didn’t have any luck. I think Monaco had a custom bit made just for my coach then threw it out.