Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2019, 05:58 PM   #1

Cabinet Cleaning in a 94 Signature

So I have a 24 year old Monaco whose cabinets are made of beautiful walnut wood. the cabinets perhaps by us have been cleaned here and there and now I can see that the correct cleaner was not used. I have seen on other motorhomes where the wrong product was used and the finish turned whitish --- a disaster in my mind.

So to avoid this, my hope is, to be advised of the best procedure to clean and perhaps what kind of polish, wax or ?, I might safely use to get back to a nice uniform finish.
I should say the cabinet finish generally is good with just a couple of spots that really could be better. (water spots from kit sink and a little wear on an often used door )
Thanks in advance to any of you furniture refinishers that can help me.
Loren
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2019, 06:06 PM   #2

HD sells a product called rejuvenate. Might be just what you need.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:42 PM   #3

Old English works for us...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:29 PM   #4

You could take one of the cabinet doors to HD and they will match some minwax to your finish. Any decent cabinet shop could fix your doors. . 0000 steel wool works well. You could experiment on the inside of the doors. Have fun
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:19 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We use Murphy's oil soap in a bucket to clean, then let that dry and go over it with Old English furniture oil.
But, what I want to know is how you put electronic injection on a 1994 M11 Cummins?
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 04:23 PM   #6

Thanks for your replys one more question

Thanks for all your replies. The course of action I am beginning to consider is;
First is to test my procedure on some out of the way piece.

The procedure I think I may follow
1. Is to wash the cabinets with a very mild ph neutral soap and water.
2 use some 00 steel wool where needed (won't be much)
3. Using a furniture polish that has bees wax and a bit of lemon oil.

I have used murphy but want to be sure any thing I do use doesn't react with the original finish. If it's a lacquer that finish can be very sensitive to wrong stuff.

So Does anyone know what kind of finish Monaco used on their cabinet years ago? Definably not a oil finish. Perhaps it Was a lacquer?

New handle Lefty
Old 02-04-2019, 04:35 PM   #7

cabinet finsih repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
We use Murphy's oil soap in a bucket to clean, then let that dry and go over it with Old English furniture oil.
But, what I want to know is how you put electronic injection on a 1994 M11 Cummins?
So in reply to engine question: I didn't know how fortunate I was at the time when I bought this unit. I simply responded to an add for a unit that seemed to be priced in my budget.
But turns out the original owner, ordered this unit with the m11e which is a 11 lieter electronic injected engine. that must have set him back a few thousand for sure.,
He also ordered silvered window glass, 24.5 wheel and tires. So it keeps up with most of the faster units passes most in mountains. I really appreciate it!

A couple of years ago I talked to a sales man who worked for Monaco in those years and he told me that there were only 7 or 8 unit like mine sold in the Oregon area.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:36 PM   #8

cabinet finsih repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
So in reply to engine question: I didn't know how fortunate I was at the time when I bought this unit. I simply responded to an add for a unit that seemed to be priced in my budget.
But turns out the original owner, ordered this unit with the m11e which is a 11 lieter electronic injected engine. that must have set him back a few thousand for sure.,
He also ordered silvered window glass, 24.5 wheel and tires. So it keeps up with most of the faster units passes most in mountains. I really appreciate it!
As you probably know the bulk of the motorhomes sold back then has 8.3 mechanical fuel injected engines.

A couple of years ago I talked to a sales man who worked for Monaco in those years and he told me that there were only 7 or 8 unit like mine sold in the Oregon area.
Lefty