Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2020, 05:10 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Cabinet latch install/replace

I our 2000 exec we have the plastic cabinet latches they have become brittle with age and get stuck and break

If anyone is what are you replacing with or are you using the same type?

I have ordered the same ones and the are interchangeable but the screw holes are a bit off. Also how in the #*$# are you getting the two to match up so they fit together when you close the door.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2020, 05:22 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I ran into the same problem. I just put them together mounted to the cabinet. (not the door or drawer) I put some super glue on the piece I need to screw in and shut it holding it tight for a few minutes. Then I slowing open it and put the screws in the glued part...make sense?
Old 01-28-2020, 08:28 AM   #3

IMO those plastic ones are a pain ....just one reason is they get brittle over time and break as you and other have experienced.

I swapped out all my door / drawer latches early on with these and have never looked back never had a drawer/door fly open since.

https://www.amazon.com/Alise-CA250-4...0221481&sr=8-9

I swapped out all my door/drawer latches early on with these and have never looked back and have never had a drawer/door fly upen since.

https://www.amazon.com/Alise-CA250-4...0221481&sr=8-9

These are very easy to align. Install them to the door/ drawer with the assembly both pieces attached together as shown with the two screws ….then on the piece that attaches to the door use some sticky two-sided tape …….. with the detent ball adjustment back out with hardly any pressure, just enough to hold the pieces together and then close the drawer firmly and the piece will stick to the drawer when you open it and install the two screws. Re-set the adjustable detent pressure to your desired pressure and ....Yahtzee!

Hope that made sense?

40k miles of mountain roads since installing them from Jasper Ca. to New Mexico and nary a door/drawer flying open

Happy Trails
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71TliJoernL._SL1000_.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	273492  
Old 01-28-2020, 08:33 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
RobRoy So do you also use the "Super glue" option to line them up.

I have put a couple of these in there OK but found the aliment difficult.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biljol View Post

No Glue!

Let me try and explain another way

Mount the female part in the location you want with the mounting screws with both pieces attached.

Then back out the detent pressure adjustment to almost no pressure ..just enough to hold the two pieces together. ( if the male piece falls out in the process just tighten the detent enough to barely hold it in place

Then apply some good two-sided tape to either the back of the male portion in the latch ...or to the door where the latch is to meet the door.

Now close the door firmly ....... then open it very gently ...now the male piece will now be stuck to the door with the tape.

Install the mounting screws to the door piece and it's now in perfect alignment with its mating piece.

Hopefully, that's a bit clearer ...I explain thing poorly

Happy Trails
Old 01-28-2020, 02:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biljol View Post

A picture is worth a thousand words.

In this video go to the 2.12 mark and you will see he did and what Im talking about as how I did on my coach.

Happy Trails
Old 01-29-2020, 11:26 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRoy View Post
No Glue!

Let me try and explain another way

Mount the female part in the location you want with the mounting screws with both pieces attached.

Then back out the detent pressure adjustment to almost no pressure ..just enough to hold the two pieces together. ( if the male piece falls out in the process just tighten the detent enough to barely hold it in place

Then apply some good two-sided tape to either the back of the male portion in the latch ...or to the door where the latch is to meet the door.

Now close the door firmly ....... then open it very gently ...now the male piece will now be stuck to the door with the tape.

Install the mounting screws to the door piece and it's now in perfect alignment with its mating piece.

Hopefully, that's a bit clearer ...I explain thing poorly

Happy Trails
Great idea! Thanks for the tip!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, install, replace