Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2011, 10:46 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Cal. Concrete Roads

We are finishing our travels and came North on I-5 from Bakersfield CA. headed toward Oregon. The concrete roads are like riding in a blender. Some stretches that are blacktopped rode well. But, for the most part, the truck lane will shake your coach apart.

I was just wondering if any state has rougher roads. If so I don't plan on traveling there either! Sorry California, you have lost a large part of our disposable income.

Equip. Added: Banks Powerpak, Koni Shocks, Motion Control Valves, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control, Supersteer Trim Unit, Air Force One Tow Brake, Smart Tire
bdixon2297526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2011, 11:52 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdixon2297526 View Post
We are finishing our travels and came North on I-5 from Bakersfield CA. headed toward Oregon. The concrete roads are like riding in a blender. Some stretches that are blacktopped rode well. But, for the most part, the truck lane will shake your coach apart.

I was just wondering if any state has rougher roads. If so I don't plan on traveling there either! Sorry California, you have lost a large part of our disposable income.
I drive that road twice a year at least. I stay in the left lane for much of the drive moving over for traffic. Curiously, the really bad parts are under the overpasses. The right lane under the bridges is horrible. Even if there is traffic I'm in the left lane there and so are the truckers. It's been that way for several years now with the patches of asphalt you refer to being the respite. I dorve that road in a car for the 10 yrs or so before I retired and beleive me the pieces that are now asphalt are replacing some hellish concrete.

We've been over the roads in most of the western states and there are bad roads everywhere. In some areas of Oklahoma around OK City the road is so bad you can't get much over 45 mph without losing the fillings in your teeth.
Ron
Old 06-26-2011, 12:03 PM   #3

I don't think any state has worse roads than I-5. We keep them that way to keep the Arizonies & Webfeet away...
Old 06-26-2011, 12:47 PM   #4

You guys have seen nothing until you drive up here in Canada. If only I could buy a 4 wheel drive motorhome for the suspension travel....and find a new dentist..LOL

One of the above comments was to drive in the left hand lane..so you do not drive in the slow right hand lane?? Can you fill me in ...we are driving that route this summer from Portland to San.Fran.

Thx
Ted
Old 06-26-2011, 12:58 PM   #5

Where are you in Canada with such poor roads? Just wondering. In Washington, the left lane is for passing only and I am sure others are the same. I remember driving an empty tank truck on I-84 between Pocatello and Boise, that had to be the worst stretch of highway I had ever seen. We were supposed to stay in the right lane but I couldn't take the constant pounding.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:01 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma - and you get to pay, as they are toll roads. Another state I try to avoid.

Also, 1-10 between Houston and New Orleans (although, there was lots of construction on the Texas side which should have improved things.
glennb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:26 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
In my work days, I had a number of meetings with the rigid pavement section of Caltrans. (Translab). When I-5 was originally built, it was as a Federal project. They, (Federal Hwys Dept). implemented a set of new construction techniques that had not been tested. ie, the test was to put in hundeds of miles of new interstate, and see what happened. The results are what we now see. So, if the roads other than I-5 mentioned in posts here are interstates built in the 60's up through probably the early 70's, the bad roads are probably for the same reason. Putting asphalt on top of the broken concrete is a temporary solution, it will not last well. The solution is to take up the broken concrete, redo the underlying roadbed, and repour with what has been learned in the ensueing years.

Translab was putting together a new set of specifications and techniques for construction, to achieve a 100 year rigid pavement with concrete. They were basing a lot of that on how a section of roadway was put in, in the Sacrament area that is now close to 70 years old, and still in good shape.

As to the mention of going under bridges being worse, the reason is they never, never repair those sections, why, I don't know. Adding asphalt to the existing pavement would decrease clearance, but that probably is not the only reason. I have wondered about this issue a lot.
pkmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:38 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I'm just getting back from a 7500 mile trip, so far the worst roads we've traveled have been in Kentucky and Tennessee. I live in The people's republic of Kalifornia, and we do have some bad roads! What do you expect, what would you rather have, good roads or welfare for life.
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobilist View Post
I don't think any state has worse roads than I-5. We keep them that way to keep the Arizonies & Webfeet away...
Well it worked, we spent most of our lives in either Nor Cal or So Cal and I'm never coming back. If it's not the roads it's the fuel prices! I have seen the elephant!
I know, Good riddance.
Rapid Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:04 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDE View Post
You guys have seen nothing until you drive up here in Canada. If only I could buy a 4 wheel drive motorhome for the suspension travel....and find a new dentist..LOL

One of the above comments was to drive in the left hand lane..so you do not drive in the slow right hand lane?? Can you fill me in ...we are driving that route this summer from Portland to San.Fran.

Thx
Ted

Actually the upper part of I-5 in California has had some attention. I drove much of it the past winter and again in the spring--SF to Portland--a lot of work has been done in the Yreka area and the Shasta area and around Redding----a little stimuilus money goes a long way I guess. The worst part I think will be from I-5 at SAC to SF. Pretty beat up there.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:46 PM   #11

Hey Rapid Robert...Come up here and buy your fuel.....$5.40 A GALLON. CAN'T WAIT TO COME DOWN TO THE STATES TO BUY CHEAPER FUEL....We pay top dollar for our fuel and still have poor roads...but the fishing is good up here..

Ted
Old 06-26-2011, 09:18 PM   #12

Well come on down to Tucson we have the lowest prices in the country, even lower then Phoenix. Problem is it's going to be 115 the next couple of days. So with expansion you only get half as much! Diesel can be had here for as low as $3.53 but the avg. is $3.75 and dropping.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:21 PM   #13

And the fishing is terrible, its the dry heat and dry rain I suppose.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:11 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I made a comment about driving the left lane on I5 in Cali. You have to be careful particularly if you are towing and restricted to 55mph. I do it prudently, if someone is approaching from the rear I move over. So many truckers are doing it that I think the CHP may be looking the other way as long as things don't get out of hand. I've been seen doing it by the Chips but have never been stopped. We usually make those runs during the week so there is little weekend pleasure traffic out there just trucks and farmers.

If it weren't for having to drive thru the San Fernando Valley I'd go up 101, it's a scenic drive compared to I5 and a bit smoother. I hate going thru Pasadena and dread going thru the Valley.
Ron