RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2015, 12:37 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Cool Calif smog for '01 ISC 350

My '01 Monaco Windsor 38' has the Cummins ISC 350 with 127K miles. It was originally delivered in the State of Washington. I purchased it from a dealer in the State of Arizona. I need to have it smogged before I can title it in California.
Am I going to have problems passing the smog test? There's no Banks or other performance upgrades. Anyone been through this and can help shed some light on what I'm in store for and who's best to perform a diesel smog test on an RV?
Thanks in advance,
Chris

Butter Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2015, 12:45 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I dont believe you need a smog test.

Mike

Old 04-20-2015, 12:47 PM   #3

If the diesel vehicle is more that 14,000 GVWR, it is exempt from smog testing.

Smog Information

Sometimes DMV clerks need to be reminded.
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:20 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I am not sure about California but here in Davis County, Utah we have an opacity test that our diesels must pass, regardless of GVW.

For that vintage here in Utah they are allowed 20% on the opacity scale. Generally speaking as long as the engine is in good mechanical condition you shouldn't have any issues passing that. My old 3208 CAT engine barely squeeked by here in Utah but it passed, but then again that was old diesel technology and I think they were trying to get some of them off the roads. They were suprised each year when mine passed, from what I gathered there were not very many of the old V-8 diesels passing.

Again, can't speak for California, but we are usually behind CA rather than ahead in terms of regulations.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:56 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Here's the link you sent BEYOND, Currently, smog inspections are required for all vehicles except diesel powered vehicles 1997 year model and older or with a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVWR) of more than 14,000 lbs, electric, natural gas powered vehicles over 14,000 lbs, hybrids, motorcycles, trailers, or gasoline powered vehicles 1975 and older.

It seems to clearly says 1997 and older are exempt; I'm 2001 how do you figure I'm exempt?

Thanks,

Chris
Old 04-20-2015, 01:57 PM   #6

I doubt you will need to have a smog inspection. On thing they will look for is a CA emissions certification. I was totally dumbfounded when the lovely lady at the Needles DMV asked me where my emissions certification was. But, she was a trooper and helped me find it on the front cover of the engine. Look for a steel plate riveted to the front of your engine (which will be the rear on the coach). When you wipe off all the "stuff" that is accumulated there you will see a stamped plate that indicates that it was CA certified when built. You need that. Fortunately Monaco never knew exactly where the rigs were going to be registered so they made sure they were compliant for all 50 states. Just find the plate, show it to the DMV person who will take a look at your rig (they did a visual inspection of ours when we registered it) and you will be golden.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:58 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Ahh!! It's the "OR" 14K GVWR; okay, I'll spend another four-hours in line at San Francisco DMV (with an Appointment!!) and try again. :-)
Thanks!
Old 04-20-2015, 07:49 PM   #8

As previously posted, make sure you find that plate or other "sticker" on the engine that states it is fifty state smog compliant. When we went I through it the girl from DMV couldn't find it on the engine but did find a label that satisfied her on the generator. Never did figure that out. Others have had a hard time trying to replace the missing labels and DMV won't budge. You will also need a VIN verification but DMV can handle that also. You mentioned San Francisco, I went to the DMV office in the south San Jose area (Santa Theresa) for my Class B and it's a small office that caters to big rigs. Very quick with an appt.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:01 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
2 years ago I bought a 08 Diesel Coach in Nevada. I had to go to CHP and have all VIN numbers confirmed. No smog required. Be prepared to write that big check for sales tax��
LEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:02 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
WA also requires a smog "test", and they follow the CA laws. Our ISC had a Banks kit on it and never had any trouble passing the "test". The "test" was simply an opacity test and nothing more. Had to floor the throttle three times on their signal.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:22 AM   #11

Butterball, "Ahh!! It's the "OR" 14K GVWR" it is a very important "or" :-)

Good luck with DMV. You will need a VIN verification. Members of AAA may be able to have it done at their store and save you a DMV visit.
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:44 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
All you need is a vin verification check. It can be done at the DMV. Any law enfrcement officer can also do a vin check but many departments have a policy against doing so. No smog check is needed.

As for the DMV wait, CA does schedule appointments which speeds things up a bit. You could also take a road trip to a low population rural area and the wait will be shorter.

I brought my rig in from Colorado without problem. I was also surprised to find that my fees were less than Colorado.

Bruce LaHargoue
Arnold, CA
blahargoue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:23 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
True story about CA DMV, purchased a 04 Monaco DP in AZ went to register it in CA and the DMV lady asked to see the California engine sticker, I played dumb and said what is it that your looking for? She replied that she was looking for the engine certification sticker, she then said ( I am not joking) "open the hood" it has to be up front, I then opened the generator slide and she found the "California engine certification sticker" which was on the genset.
True story!
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:04 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by avfordguy View Post
True story about CA DMV, purchased a 04 Monaco DP in AZ went to register it in CA and the DMV lady asked to see the California engine sticker, I played dumb and said what is it that your looking for? She replied that she was looking for the engine certification sticker, she then said ( I am not joking) "open the hood" it has to be up front, I then opened the generator slide and she found the "California engine certification sticker" which was on the genset.
True story!
Hi everyone and thanks for the wealth of information. What I've gleaned...be prepared to show them their own regulations...and the front Gen Set. Gotta love California, LOL. Definitely LOVE the support thru IRV2!
Cheers,
Chris