Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2006, 07:03 PM   #1
cwg

Has anyone taken a test drive of the new chassis on the 42 foot models of the Camelot (Monaco) or Scepter (HR) (which are really 42ft. 10 inches, or effectively 43 ft rigs)? As there are several floor plans, I am interested specifically in any driving or turning impressions of the 42PDQ which of course has the tag axle of the RR10S Roadmaster chassis.

One of my concerns is that Roadmaster has only a 50 degree wheel cut, and in light of the shorter turning radius' of other manufacturers, is it a viable issue of navigating turns?

Monaco states that the turning radius of this rig is a slight bit over 42 feet and the use of outboard mounted airbags as opposed to inner mounted bags may be somewhat of a factor. Thanks in advance and I would appreciate any thoughts on this.
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2006, 07:03 PM   #2
cwg

Has anyone taken a test drive of the new chassis on the 42 foot models of the Camelot (Monaco) or Scepter (HR) (which are really 42ft. 10 inches, or effectively 43 ft rigs)? As there are several floor plans, I am interested specifically in any driving or turning impressions of the 42PDQ which of course has the tag axle of the RR10S Roadmaster chassis.

One of my concerns is that Roadmaster has only a 50 degree wheel cut, and in light of the shorter turning radius' of other manufacturers, is it a viable issue of navigating turns?

Monaco states that the turning radius of this rig is a slight bit over 42 feet and the use of outboard mounted airbags as opposed to inner mounted bags may be somewhat of a factor. Thanks in advance and I would appreciate any thoughts on this.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:08 AM   #3

We bought a 2006 Camelot DSQ 1Aug06. We have been to Ky and from there to Mt. and back and we can say nothing bad about it. I have had no problems with turning {put the tag up for tight turns} or any other concerns. If I had it to do over again I would definately get the same over again.
Bill & Linda Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:00 AM   #4

Good morning,

We test rode the Beaver Contessa Venice 42' on the RR10S chassis. Liked the ride better than the Tiffin Allegro Bus 42' on a Spartan chassis. Quieter and smoother in the Beaver. Similar to the ride in our CC, which is great. I have always had 55 and 56 degree wheel cuts in my previous MH's, and I had concerns about the 50. Wheel cut is one thing, and wheel base is another. Both will affect how sharp you can turn. The 42' has a 270" wheelbase. Driving down the road and regular turns are no different than our CC. Actually the tag is more stable. You might notice some difference in tight campgrounds and parking lots, but from talking to others, not enough to be overly concerned. We will find out in late Nov.

Have a good day,
Bruce

Spur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:25 AM   #5
cwg

Thank you for the replies; they help to alleviate some of the concerns I have raised in my mind. Perhaps more contributors will respond also as they read the posts.

The RV consumer group gives these coaches a very good rating on driveability, but I am not aware of anyone ever rating the turning ability of a coach. The subjective opinions are important for imput as to this aspect.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:09 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Hi cwg -

As SPUR said, check the wheelbase as well. A shorter wheelbase may make up for a wider turning-radius (or vice-versa) in tight turns. And lifting the tag does wonders too.

I'd special-built a tightly-curved parking pad in my backyard to fit a previous shorter coach, and when I bought my current Endeavor I was elated to see that it had a tighter turning radius - thinking that the painstaking in/out jockeying would be a thing of the past. Unfortunately, I forgot to consider a much longer wheelbase. I can still get it in/out, but must use 2 cans of grease and a shoehorn to negotiate the turn past the fence (and a few choice words at times).

Other than for something that, I'd think the turning radius for "most" applications wouldn't be a concern. I've never had an issue where I couldn't get around in a parking lot, rv-park, fuel-stop, etc. If I can see an 18-wheeler in there, I'll fit too.

Thanks!
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:39 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We bought a Scepter 42 DSQ in May of this year, our previous coach was a National Islander, on a DynoMax chassis. We recently returned from a 2 month over 6000 mile trip, and had no problems with the ride. Our previous coach has IFS and a 55 degree wheel cut, but this coach handled as well if not better. It was more stable in windy conditions, and less tiring to drive. It did corner fine, BUT hard turns took a little getting used to. Had to start the turn a bit sooner, and remember to lift the tag! All in all we are very pleased with all aspects of the ride of the Scepter.
Moderator please add me to the "Monaco owner's forum"? Thanks
wilpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 02:29 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Hi wilpower -

Your wish is my command.

Congrats on the Scepter, and welcome to our forum. We're really glad to have you here as a new member and are looking forward to reading your posts about your RVing experiences and adventures. You'll find a great bunch of folks on this site who are very knowledgeable of RVing, the rigs we use, and the places we go in them. Enjoy the forums and post often.

Thanks!
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote