RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2019, 07:22 PM   #1

Camera questions HELP!

It was probably overdue but I am finally pitching the old tube type black and white monitor backup system. I purchased an inexpensive 2 camera, 65 ft of cable and a 7” flat screen.

My dilemma is that I the existing cable does not have the proper ends to attach to the camera and monitor. This necessitates me replacing the cable. Can anyone direct me on how to accomplish this? Should I sneak the cable underneath along the chassis? How do I get it up to the top of the motorhome where the old camera was and the new one will go? I have not been able to locate where the cable travels currently.

I have a 38 foot Monaco diplomat, year 2000.

Doug-Terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2019, 07:37 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug-Terrie View Post
It was probably overdue but I am finally pitching the old tube type black and white monitor backup system. I purchased an inexpensive 2 camera, 65 ft of cable and a 7” flat screen.

My dilemma is that I the existing cable does not have the proper ends to attach to the camera and monitor. This necessitates me replacing the cable. Can anyone direct me on how to accomplish this? Should I sneak the cable underneath along the chassis? How do I get it up to the top of the motorhome where the old camera was and the new one will go? I have not been able to locate where the cable travels currently.

Solder new ends on your old cable.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug-Terrie View Post

You might try contacting RV Cams, RV Cams: Backup Camera Systems (All) and describe the connector ends of your present cable and the connectors on your new devices. They may likely have an adapter that will connect your new things to your existing cable.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:07 PM   #4

I just spliced my new ends onto my old cables with solder, shrink tubing and electrical tape. They all work great.
Dave
Woodman018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:45 PM   #5

I am having a similar issue. I have the old Sony VCB-MHD1 color monitor and the rear camera, at least, is the VCB-MH1. I don't know what model no. the side cameras are but they are B&W. I don't know why you would put 2 color cameras and 2 B&W cameras on the same coach. The monitor and camera uses a 6 pin connector.

The new cameras I saw at best buy use a 3 or a 4 pin connector.

So for the people who have done this wiring, is there a youtube or a thread somewhere with instructions? I have been searching all day and can't find out how to do it. It would be really cool if TAD or RV Cam had an adaptor for this. Not excited about buying expensive cameras.

I took out the swivel hex screw above the camera on the mirror. But cannot figure out how to get the camera off the mirror. Any help would be great. Thank you!
Old 04-24-2019, 07:14 PM   #6

Back up camera update

Apparently one has to spend more than $70 for a usable rear view/back up camera. I bought a cheap Chinese camera and 7 inch monitor. It lasted for a few days before it started to wash completely out. When the camera got wet the picture was completely unusable.

So I am open to suggestions for anything good from $70 and $200. thank you in advance
Doug-Terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:21 PM   #7

Have you looked at the Panasonic, Metra or Audiovox at best buy? $89

They are probably all made in China but at least you don't have to go there to bring it back. I heard there were some really cheapos on eBay $15 that I am going to use to practice wire crimping on.

Other than that, the RV class cameras are all around 120 and up.

Check out rvcam, tadibrothers, furrion, and haloview, there are so many.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:13 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
x2 on RV Cams. They'll need the make and model of both your old and new systems so they know which adapters you'll need. I just replaced mine with them and they made it a piece of cake. Didn't think the price was too high.

The new color camera is a much wider angle both to the side and up and down so I can see behind and both lanes beside the toad.
Mageksl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mageksl View Post
x2 on RV Cams. They'll need the make and model of both your old and new systems so they know which adapters you'll need. I just replaced mine with them and they made it a piece of cake. Didn't think the price was too high.

The new color camera is a much wider angle both to the side and up and down so I can see behind and both lanes beside the toad.
Are yours mounted under the side mirror or did you put them through the side of the coach?
Old 04-24-2019, 10:59 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moira View Post
Are yours mounted under the side mirror or did you put them through the side of the coach?
I should have been clearer but I was talking about the new rear cam. I can now see the hitch, the toad, behind the toad and on each side of the toad. Makes it great for checking clearance during lane changes. With the original camera I could see the hitch and most of the roof of the toad.

I don't have side cameras but am planning on adding them as the new system is capable of handling the additional cameras one at a time. They do have a monitor that will display, split screen, up to four cameras at once.

RV Cams were really easy to work with.

Mageksl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera