Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2018, 01:39 PM   #29

Lucky it is a total loss as claim should be resolved rather soon. If repairable it would have take 6 months or more to repair. During the years I spent as an insurance adjuster I saw many of these refrigerator burns!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2018, 02:33 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Anyone else contemplate how we got in the situation where a $2400 refrigerator can total multiple multi-hundred thousand dollar motor homes?
Old 11-28-2018, 03:02 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
Anyone else contemplate how we got in the situation where a $2400 refrigerator can total multiple multi-hundred thousand dollar motor homes?

Easy......RVs go up fire & smoke in a matter of minutes regardless of source of fire
Everything is HIGHLY combustible and all within very small confines
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 03:24 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Sorry for your loss. It was a beautiful coach!
I found charred areas behind our Norcold last year. Wouldn't have known if I hadn't removed it.
Same for me. We bought our Windsor last year, and I wanted to change from the Norcold to a residential, found the ceiling charred after removing the Norcold. Soooo glad I got rid of that potential fire hazard.
mlh2013 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 03:35 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
I’m sick for you.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 04:24 PM   #34

Sorry for your loss, beautiful coach. Happy hunting for your next one!
Gregs4018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 05:10 PM   #35

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I think the insurance companys AND the RV manufactures are both to blame.
The RV companys keep saying these 12V and Propane fridges are safe from fires. Then you see another recall almost every year.

If I was in the insurance business I'd have a Surcharge that would fat enough to make people NOT want a 12V or propane fridge.
Since a fridge failure would be likely to cause a total loss
I'd Multiply the standard policy price by 2 or 3 so that the choice would be
$1800-$2400 for a new residential fridge
OR
$1200-$2500 surcharge.

A 12V or propane fridge looks like a real convenience to me.
But as sloppy as I have seen them made. I'd NEVER buy one.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:04 AM   #36

Quote:
These problematic (didn't use work I really WANT to use) refrigerators won't be removed from service until one of the following occurs:

• Insurance companies refuse to insure coaches with these fridges installed.
  • Owners educate themselves as to the dangers of these fridges, and refuse to buy/own a coach with one installed.
  • Insurance companies succeed in passing on their claim expenses to the manufactures of these "questionable" appliances.
  • Fire investigators get educated and pin the cause of the fire to the guilty appliances.
Many fire inspectors aren't well versed in the intricacies of RV's in general, and absorption fridges in particular. There is enough doubt left for the fridge manufacturer to many cases to argue that it wasn't their appliance, or at least cast enough doubt that it wasn't for the insurance companies to hesitate to go to the effort and expense to prove that it was the appliance that caused the fire. Plus, many times, the evidence isn't preserved properly after the fire.

I have yet to hear that lives have been lost as a result of one of these fires, just that peoples hopes, dreams, and lives have been terribly crushed. Until there are deaths and/or a high profile case related to these failed appliances, nothing will probably be done. The manufacturers don't have to FIX the problem, they just have to demonstrate that they are "working toward a solution" even though the "solutions" are useless in order for someone to prove negligence on the part of the manufacturer(s).

Once again, so sorry for your loss, and I hope you are able to get your lives back in order soon.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:03 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
It's always sad to see a great rig destroyed. But there are thousands of RVs out there with happy owners using their propane absorption fridges, working just fine.
For me, a 120 volt residential fridge would never work. We often spend a few days dry camping in shaded areas and choose not to run the genset. Peace and quiet is our preferred camping style.
I have no desire to add huge battery banks to run an inverter just to keep things cold. The propane works just fine.
If you always make sure your rig is level, the venting is clear, and the maintenance is done, you will have very little to complain about as far as operation goes.
Lots of propane fridges out there well over 20 years old and working just fine.
Obviously I do not know what went wrong with this fridge, but I do feel sorry for you Loranimal.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 06:30 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Easy......RVs go up fire & smoke in a matter of minutes regardless of source of fire
Everything is HIGHLY combustible and all within very small confines
I know the mechanics of a fridge fire. I was wondering why after all these years manufacturers allow a $2,400 fridge to put our coaches in jeopardy?
Old 11-29-2018, 08:04 PM   #39

Would suggest all propane/electric fridge owners install a Proteng Automatic Fire Protection system. If you want to see how it works go to Proteng USA – Automatic fire suppression system for a video. There have been hundreds of the fridge fires and they can be one either propane or electric when they start. For us it would either be a residential fridge or a Proteng Automatic Fire Protection system.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 01:06 PM   #40

I have a 2006 Camelot that looks identical. Ours has a Dometic fridge. Is that the same as yours?

Sorry for your loss
Old 11-30-2018, 02:45 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
That sucks! Here you go and buy a nice coach, keep it maintained, cleaned and polished, and then this happens. Not fair.

I’m sorry for this upset in your life's plan, along with the loss of the coach and contents. I’m glad you and yours are safe.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 03:05 PM   #42

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 747guy View Post
I have a 2006 Camelot that looks identical. Ours has a Dometic fridge. Is that the same as yours?

Sorry for your loss
Fridge that caused fire was a Norcold model.