Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2015, 07:46 PM   #1

Can I add a can of R-134 till I can get it fixed?

My 1998 Endeavor seems to have a leak. I get it serviced and the a/c works for a couple hundred miles then blows hot. My RV repair facility says they have to use dye to find the leak but can't get me in for a while. Can I add a can like I used to do with freon? I'm not sure if the system is similar to the old freon systems and this would be acceptable. I don't wanna make it worse.
Most of our trips involve So CAl desert driving.
kiethco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2015, 08:04 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
R-134 is still considered freon and yes you can add to your system. Do you have easy access to the service ports? The freon kits with the hose from your local auto parts store will work just fine and the hose that comes with it will only connect to the low pressure side. Follow the instructions that come with the kit and you may get it back to cooling depending on the severity of the leak. With that said it may take more than one can to get it cooling again. Also you are not locked into a RV repair shop for AC repairs, you might try a internet search for your area or sometimes a dealership will work on motorhomes. I know our local ford dealer does the majority of the ford chasis motorhomes in the area, and freightliner the others.
cptdzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:45 PM   #3

All I can ad to what was already said is to do this first. With engine off go find the low (blue cap) side charging port. Take off the cap and quickly press on the shader valve (looks like a tire valve) and see if gas comes out. If it does,that's good cause the system is still holding gas. If not the system will have to be evacuated to a vacuum before you can recharge it. Special equipment you don't have. Also understand that if the system has leaked and is low on gas, if you start the engine and turn the a/c switch the compressor clutch may not engage, which is probably the condition it is in. That's ok. Hook the freon hose to the blue port. Follow the direction on the can. When you get enough freon gas into the system the compressor clutch will engage and you will get cool air coming out of the ducts on the dash. That should get you cool air till it leaks out again. Good luck

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 08-05-2015, 09:20 PM   #4

If your system is leaking down at the rate you described, you should not just recharge it.

Yes as stated above you can add refrigerant (Freon is a trade name) to get the system working again, but be aware, you may have lost lubricant also and by just topping it off you could/will cause damage to your compressor. That's an added expense you don't want to incur for a quick temporary fix. I understand the heat issue, working in the middle east, you known heat.

Hold off and get it fixed right. Don't ruin your system. Compressor replacement and system flushing is expensive.
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:29 PM   #5

That is a lot bigger system than a car so it most likely needs more than one can. What I would recommend doing is going to either Walmart or Advanced Auto and buy a large can of AC Pro R134 as shown below. The can comes with a gauge and complete instructions. All you have to do is know the ambient air temp and set the arrow on the gauge, take out the locking tab from the can and pull the trigger on the can. You do this with the motor running and the AC turned to max cool and the fan on high. Release the trigger every so often and read the pressure on the gauge. When it comes up to the right pressure it is full. If you don't use it all you can save it for later. Also the gauge and trigger unit comes off the can and will fit any can.

AC Pro Professional Formula Refrigerant with Gauge and Hose (20 oz.) ACP-100N/ACP-10: Advance Auto Parts
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:52 AM   #6

R-134 is refrigerant. Not really freon. I have never seen a small leak remove any lubricant...just refrigerant. A catastrophic leak can lose lubricant. If you add lubricant every time you add refrigerant, you end up with WAAAAY too much lubricant. And that isn't good either. Even when you evac a system, most of the lubricant sticks around. It doesn't need a full dose even then.
When I was employed in a refrigeration production business, we would never relube when we would reclaim the refrigerant. And the refrigerant was never contaminated with lube.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:24 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Keith,
As a point of reference for you, my coach has a servicing tag on the evaporator housing in front that says the system capacity is 52 oz (3.25lbs). I serviced mine earlier this year because it wasn't cooling and put in a little more than 1lb. using gauges to make sure the pressures were in range.
As Mike suggested, those cans with gauges on them can be helpful. You can also pick up an inexpensive gauge set for not much more than that, then you can service it right. Also, you could add refrigerant with dye in it and then look for a leak later with a black light.

Roy
Old 08-06-2015, 11:58 AM   #8

Good idea on the dye. That comes in a small can to add first before the R134. The gauge that comes on the can works well. I have professional gauges and checked the gauge on the can and it is close enough. That AC ProCool also has a stop leak in it and may just stop the leak.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiethco View Post
My 1998 Endeavor seems to have a leak. I get it serviced and the a/c works for a couple hundred miles then blows hot. My RV repair facility says they have to use dye to find the leak but can't get me in for a while. Can I add a can like I used to do with freon? I'm not sure if the system is similar to the old freon systems and this would be acceptable. I don't wanna make it worse.

Most of our trips involve So CAl desert driving.

I had similar problem would throw cold for 1/2 hour then warm. The thermal switch would freeze up and would not operate when calling for cold air. Shop replaced switch ($80) we shall see if that fixed problem.

Jim Hurkett
Chilliwack BC
2007 Monaco
2009 Mini Cooper Conv Toad
Hurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:01 PM   #10

R-12 freon, and the newer R-134 don't use the same size ports, why not find an auto ac shop and let them do it, converting to 134a would be the best route
RonD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:21 PM   #11

The OP's 1998 mh uses R134 so I am not sure what you are trying to say
Old 08-07-2015, 06:02 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Don't sweat go to Walmart and get a can ac pro with gauge on it is pretty fool proof I've used this on my Peterbilt several times up to a month when I couldn't to get it into a shop
Old 08-08-2015, 02:06 PM   #13

Just left Autozone in Indy. Paid 23$ for one can of 134. In included stop leak, oil and dye. I have a small, (went for a month) leak and gonna give this a try. $23 seems a lot more than a year ago. OMG!!

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 08-08-2015, 02:11 PM   #14

The cheapest I have found R134 is at Walmart. I agree that it used to be a lot cheaper.