Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2012, 11:26 AM   #1

Can my air ride be adjusted?

Can my air ride be adjusted? I have a 95 Monaco Dynasty 36 160K and it seems like my ride over bumps, pot holes, pulling into a gas station feel like my airbags are filled to the max...no give at all. I thought the ride would be a "soft cushy ride" not a back breaking hang on ride. This is not so much cruising on the freeway, but noticeable in parking lots etc. My bags are holding pressure, so its not as though I have empty bags all around...although my ride feels like it sometimes. Thanks much
CRAIGWYOUNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You can adjust what is called the "ride height". This is the height the bags are suppose to be set at both front and rear. The ride height adjustment changes the amount of air in the bags to make the coach ride at a height specified by the manufacturer. This adjsutment isn't designed to remove air from the bags for a softer ride. The only way you can do that is to change air bags, usually to a larger size.

Even though you can't do what you asked, if your ride height is not adjusted correctly, your coach will ride rough and not handle as designed. Your best bet is to first get the ride height checked/adjusted and then probably look into changing the shocks. Shock technology has changed tremendously in the past few years.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
szy

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I also would like to know if the PSI can be increased

I have a set of air gauges reading 120 psi another at 100 psi I'd like to match them out
szy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:27 PM   #4

Those two gauges I think are for the front and rear air brakes.
CHCam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAIGWYOUNG View Post
Can my air ride be adjusted? I have a 95 Monaco Dynasty 36 160K and it seems like my ride over bumps, pot holes, pulling into a gas station feel like my airbags are filled to the max...no give at all. I thought the ride would be a "soft cushy ride" not a back breaking hang on ride. This is not so much cruising on the freeway, but noticeable in parking lots etc. My bags are holding pressure, so its not as though I have empty bags all around...although my ride feels like it sometimes. Thanks much
Our coach rode terrible too when we bought it. I ordered new Bilstein shocks for it. When I removed the old shocks (which were Bilsteins), they were so stiff it was almost impossible to open and close them. The new Bilstein shocks by comparision were very soft. The bottom line is the new shocks fixed the ride. We are very happy with it now.

At best, the Monaco Dynasty rides stiffer than other brands. It's because of the design. Smaller air bags, more of them, placed outward in the body for stability.

Also, we find our coach handles and rides best with front tires 105psi, rear tires 95 psi. I'm not saying that's the pressure you should use, but you may have to experiment to find the right pressure for your tires.

The only adjustment for the air bags is to check and adjust your ride height to the correct specification. For your coach, that is 9 1/2" front, and 11" rear. That's measured between the upper and lower frame at the air bag.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by szy View Post
I also would like to know if the PSI can be increased

I have a set of air gauges reading 120 psi another at 100 psi I'd like to match them out
If you want to incease the air pressure, you need to find the air governor. It is about 1 3/4" in diameter and 4" long. On mine, I open the rear engine compartment door, and I can see my air governor sitting on the the rear frame rail onthe passenger side of the coach. It has three airline connections and a fourth port is blocked. On the back end of it there is a black rubber top hat looking cover. After you pry it off, you will find the pressure adjusting screw and lock nut. Loosen the lock nut and turn the screw about 1/2 turn counter clockwise and then check your pop off pressure. I would not go above 135 psi. After it pops it will drop back about 5 psi. I have mine set to pop off at 130 lbs. It runs somewhere between 90 and 130 lb.

I don't know why one gauge is reading so much different. There are two air tanks, front and rear, and one gauge for each tank. Both tanks are supposed to have the same pressure. My gauges are about 5 lb different, which I don't think is a concern. In my opinion, there's too much difference in your gauges. Possibly a gauge or the air gauge sender at the tank is malfunctioning.

To adjust the air governor, you could try putting a quick air coupler on an air gauge, and plug it into the air chuck at the back of your coach just inside the engine door. That would give you an accurate reading of the overall air system pressure. Then you would know which gauge at the dash is malfunctioning.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:03 AM   #7
szy

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkate View Post
If you want to incease the air pressure, you need to find the air governor. It is about 1 3/4" in diameter and 4" long. On mine, I open the rear engine compartment door, and I can see my air governor sitting on the the rear frame rail onthe passenger side of the coach. It has three airline connections and a fourth port is blocked. On the back end of it there is a black rubber top hat looking cover. After you pry it off, you will find the pressure adjusting screw and lock nut. Loosen the lock nut and turn the screw about 1/2 turn counter clockwise and then check your pop off pressure. I would not go above 135 psi. After it pops it will drop back about 5 psi. I have mine set to pop off at 130 lbs. It runs somewhere between 90 and 130 lb.

I don't know why one gauge is reading so much different. There are two air tanks, front and rear, and one gauge for each tank. Both tanks are supposed to have the same pressure. My gauges are about 5 lb different, which I don't think is a concern. In my opinion, there's too much difference in your gauges. Possibly a gauge or the air gauge sender at the tank is malfunctioning.

To adjust the air governor, you could try putting a quick air coupler on an air gauge, and plug it into the air chuck at the back of your coach just inside the engine door. That would give you an accurate reading of the overall air system pressure. Then you would know which gauge at the dash is malfunctioning.
thank you
Old 08-29-2012, 02:06 PM   #8

As Jim stated both air tanks should be at same pressure beings they are connectedtogether. I'd bet you have a variance in your gauge needles.

any idea of what brand shocks you have? if someone cheaped out with Monroes, you should give consideration to getting them off ASAP
Old 08-30-2012, 02:53 PM   #9
szy

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
As Jim stated both air tanks should be at same pressure beings they are connected together. I'd bet you have a variance in your gauge needles.

any idea of what brand shocks you have? if someone cheaped out with Monroes, you should give consideration to getting them off ASAP
Whatever Frieghtliner puts on them ?
Mechanics isn't my strong suit - I am glad to change oil and filters and grease it ?
Old 08-31-2012, 12:37 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
This being the monaco forum, there aren't any frieghtliner chassis to be found.

Many monaco's have had monroe shocks speced....
Many have replaced them with current "comfort" bilstiens and said good things.

Mine...an 08 rr8r, has monroes.
I've zero compliants on the ride and handling at 34k miles...
But my previous coach was a 1999 F53, so what would I know?
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote