Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2020, 09:53 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Can not turn when not rolling

So some of your experiences are needed. We are temporarily full timing while new house is built (decided to get one with a Rv garage) and when we where parking I noticed that when rolling could turn the wheels fine but when full stop was not going to be able to.

Is this a steering box issue? I also have quite a bit of play in the steering but since all this is new to me don’t know if that’s normal for a 2000 Monaco. Also some wander when driving.

I done hear a lot of whine when turning just is very hard and feel like no power when stoped. There is definitely power steering because moving 1-2 inches let’s me turn a lot.

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2020, 11:31 PM   #2

Good evening Biljol; You should be able to turn the steering wheel with little effort when stopped or not rolling. Your Executive is a side radiator coach so I would go to the engine compartment and find your hydraulic fluid tank. It is possible that it might be a low fluid level. The wine you hear could be an indication of this but also could be a problem with the hydraulic pump on the engine, but that is further down the line for diagnostics. Monaco used different fluids in their hydraulic systems from ATF to AW46 fluid. The ATF should be red where the AW46 is more clear in color depending in age of the fluid. So before you add any fluid make sure it is the right stuff. Hopefully someone here with a 2000 Executive will read your post and have the correct answer. Also your hydraulic system runs the radiator cooling fan so proper fluid level is a must. The play in the steering could be a number of things, but don't know the mileage on your coach. If yours is equipped with the Sheppard steering gear box they can have some play in them. Hope this little bit of info can get you started in the direction of a solution to your problem. If you have the owners manual for the coach the fluid type might be in the chassis section of the manual. If no manual you can download it from Monaco's web site. The link is at the bottom of the web page.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 02:23 AM   #3

Just a guess, from working on equipment, but your hydraulic system may have a priority valve in the lines that directs fluid flow from the pump to the steering at low flow conditions. ( engine idle )

If the lines are crossed with the fan lines, the fan will have the priority. The priority valve, if installed, may be stuck open, giving no priority.

If you raise the engine RPMs in neutral, does it steer better ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:41 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Wow some great info guys thanks. I will double check the fluid level but I just had an oil change done and would have thought they checked all the levels but since I am new maybe they don’t on RV’s unless you say to. I don’t know the model of the steering box is it on it? And the coach has about 120k miles.

Did not know the cooling fan was hydraulic I thought they were electric. I wonder is anyone has changed them over or if it is even a good idea.

And that’s what’s great about the forums I could go and test drive new and used units but if it not lat leas in the same era the feel could be very different.

I think I need to start or look for a thread about “drivability mods” and see what most people have done.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:05 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biljol View Post
Wow some great info guys thanks. I will double check the fluid level but I just had an oil change done and would have thought they checked all the levels but since I am new maybe they don’t on RV’s unless you say to. I don’t know the model of the steering box is it on it? And the coach has about 120k miles.

Did not know the cooling fan was hydraulic I thought they were electric. I wonder is anyone has changed them over or if it is even a good idea.

And that’s what’s great about the forums I could go and test drive new and used units but if it not lat leas in the same era the feel could be very different.

I think I need to start or look for a thread about “drivability mods” and see what most people have done.
Electric fans to replace the OEM fan is not a very feasible ideal. It would take way to many watts of power to replace the hydraulic fan system.

Most likely your 2000 Exec has the TRW steering sector and over the years has worn. There is an adjustment on the TRW that can be used to remove the dead motion. Look at the top of the Monaco forum for the Swap thread and you will find lots of information.

Here is a link to that thread:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/stee...210152-37.html

Go to post #1478 in that thread and I describe the simple tools you can purchase at Harbor-Freight to make the adjustment.
Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:16 AM   #6

check your power steering fluid. you might be low.
trampsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:50 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Have you checked the air pressure in your tires ?!?

could be as simple as too low psi making it difficult to turn the wheel !
u have a tag axle - raising the tag makes for easier and quicker turns too
I usually raise my tag when tight and slow turns are necessary (less scrubbing on the tags as they basically slide sideways )
Old 01-21-2020, 05:28 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
OK this got more interesting. I had to move the coach about 16 feet yesterday and when trying to turn the wheel to the right it hung up and would not turn. I could turn left with no issue. I them moved the coach back about 1 ft while turning right that worked. Then low and behold I could turn both direction with ease.

Is this a steering box issue cause it dose not seem like a fluid or pump issue.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:39 PM   #9

Quote:
OK this got more interesting. I had to move the coach about 16 feet yesterday and when trying to turn the wheel to the right it hung up and would not turn. I could turn left with no issue. I them moved the coach back about 1 ft while turning right that worked. Then low and behold I could turn both direction with ease.

When I had similar symptoms, it turned out to be a third party steering assist product that was failing. The product used a hydraulic cylinder attached to the steering linkage. Removed the cylinder, threw it away, problem solved.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 04:19 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
When I had similar symptoms, it turned out to be a third party steering assist product that was failing. The product used a hydraulic cylinder attached to the steering linkage. Removed the cylinder, threw it away, problem solved.
I had to remove our Blue Ox TrueCenter because it was causing handling issues. I would certainly look under the coach and see if there is a large cylinder looking device mounted parallel to the steering linkage that crosses over from the drag link to the other side.

Bob
Old 01-22-2020, 06:35 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
WOW great info I will take a look next time I can get the genny out. unit is in a tight space right now (DAM HOA). The previous owner did have a blue ox tow bar setup so very likely that's the issue.

Did you find that taking it out helped/hurt the steering mine does tent to wander a bit.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:59 AM   #12

You should be able reach down use a phone to snap some pics or video to get a glimpse if it has a stabilizer. Either from the front or through wheelwell.
My phone is a game changer for work mechanical and electrical. Hidden impossible to read tag locations, remembering assembly and not having go back to look at a part, problem or layout as many times.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:10 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
My phone is a game changer for work mechanical and electrical. Hidden impossible to read tag locations, remembering assembly and not having go back to look at a part, problem or layout as many times.
ain’t it the truth!
Radacravitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 04:28 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
WOW great info I will take a look next time I can get the genny out. unit is in a tight space right now (DAM HOA). The previous owner did have a blue ox tow bar setup so very likely that's the issue.

Did you find that taking it out helped/hurt the steering mine does tent to wander a bit.
Biljol, The wandering is caused by the H-frame wiggling around on the four air bags because there is only one PanHard bar. This is a design flaw in the Roadmaster RR8R chassis. A steering stabilizer will only slightly mask the problem and does not address the problem. I will never put a steering stabilizer on a coach again. The solution to the wandering is a front Watts link and rear crossbars and/or Watts link. Go to these links to learn.
http://www.monacowatts.com/
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/wand...124491-57.html

Here is a photo of what the Blue Ox TruCenter looked like when installed on my coach.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BlueOx TruCenter installed.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	273030