Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2007, 01:23 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CoolJourney:
Thanks Drifter, Brenda, Robin and Les,

As I suspected, what I am experiencing is not an *issue* that necessarily needs to be fixed.

Robin, your comment on the improvements you experience by using the Safe-T-Plus product are along the lines of what I was thinking. Namely, it may not be needed, but if it provides extra steering enhancements, and if I want to spend the money, then it may be worth it for me to consider. When reading the product benefits from the manufacturers offering competing products in this field it is hard to find one that does the two things in which I am interested. That is, minimize wander (steering centering products) and reduce the effects of wind/turbulence (steering stabilizers). I discovered one product, the Reflex Steering Stabilizer that claims to do both, but I haven't seen much discussion on it so I am skeptical.

Les, thanks for the insight on the RV Consumers Owner's Group rating. It is additional confirmation that my driving experiences regarding wind and such may be normal for this coach.

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bill,

I think you should give yourself a little more time behind the wheel, unless as others have stated your alignment shop did not do a good job and you need to try that again.

We have about the same experience as you. We came from crew cab dualy trucks towing a 5th wheel with an air ride hitch in the truck. Our first motorhome was a short wheel base diesel pusher and let me tell you it was a nightmare to drive. I did everything I could think of including taking the coach back to the chassis manufacture and installing the Safe-T-Plus. To make a long story short, after 200 miles on our first long trip I was worn out and almost in tears because we had made the switch to a motorhome.

After 3.5 months on that new coach we traded it for a used 2006 Diplomat 40PDQ. Man what an improvement. Every time I drive this thing I get all excited again because it drives like a car and I do not even feel the 18 wheelers. Go figure, you have almost the same coach. Either my point of reference is from a far worse situation or there is something wrong with your coach.

Sorry for your bad experience, and I do know where you are coming from. Hope things get better.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2007, 05:09 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the great information and encouragement from all. It is very helpful to hear the experiences of others and to learn that my situation is not unusual for our coach. Since I am in no rush to spend money on an aftermarket steering product enhancement I will give it some more time as a number of you have suggested. I am still very happy with our Diplomat and when the winds aren't blowing hard, it is much more enjoyable to drive than our truck/5th wheel was. Just gotta love that great big windshield and watching the great sights go by. Hmmm.... I think I might have discovered where some of that wandering is coming from! Thanks again.

Bill
Old 11-30-2007, 10:24 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
You might also want to take the rig to a shop that does big rig alignments and have the REAR alignment checked. I had many similar drivability problems with my 2002 Endeavour when I got it. It was so far out of alignment that it destroyed a full set of rear tires in 17k miles (legally bald!) The tire shop took one look at the tires and said they wouldn't put new tires on until I had a rear-wheel alignment done.
The alignment shop couldn't adjust the rear wheels far enough with the adjusters - they had to cut the axle mounts off the frame and move them over 3/4 inch on the drivers side, then rough-adjusted it, and said go get the new tires and come back for them to finish.
When they were done, handling was wonderful. HR paid for the alignment even though they normally don't do alignments after 12 mo/12k miles,
but I had to eat the cost of 4 tires (ouch).
Old 11-30-2007, 07:50 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
tquaries...
Great first post!! Welcome to iRV2 ..and I am hoping you ask to become a member of the "Monaco Owner Forum". We tend to joke around a little more than the others (shhhh..don't tell them that! ) ..but no matter what...I feel you have come across the best darned RV forum on the web!!
I hope you decide to join our personal Monaco Owners Forum...and make sure you post back with your stories, quips, questions & solutions!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:35 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
I too, experienced wandering, maybe a slight fish tail feeling, and uncertainty on bumpy or windy highways. All the same fixes were tried... checked tire pressures, new alignment and ride height adjustment were reimbursed by Monaco. Some improvement, especially tracking straight down the road. I suspected that I was oversteering and noticed that with a "death grip" on the wheel, any unusual bouncing, produced rocking of me in my drivers seat and down my arms, which radiated oversteering effects. It took a while to loosen up on the wheel. The final "fix" was Safe T Plus, which stiffens the steering wheel feel and brings the coach back to center when the wheel is released. The drive is much more enjoyable. Down the road I plan to change out the front factory shocks for Konis, which will hopefully damper the bounce on some freeway swales. Coach currently has 13,000 miles (Diplomat 2006 PDQ).

2006 Diplomat PDQ 40'
Gary & Mimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:01 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Safe T Steer </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gary,
Is the Safe-T Steer the same as the Safe-T Plus? I could not find Safe-T Steer on the RVUpgrades web site.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:47 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Safe T Plus is the correct term for the steering centering device which I had installed.
It's a long Blue cylinder that does the work.
Sorry that I confused the names.

2006 Diplomat PDQ 40'
Gary & Mimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 06:25 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Thanks Gary and Mimi. I thought I was confirming one of the things my wife has been claiming for years.

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Old 12-08-2007, 07:25 PM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
We also had the Safe-T-Plus attached. Did not get the remarkable stability that some people said but it is better. May have to get it adjusted at a rally that an installer is at.
Sandmancw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 08:59 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I have always heard that the chief advantage was damping the steering which greatly helped reduce the effects of a tire blowing out and bump steer.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Old 12-23-2007, 02:11 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 2003 Imperial 40'. Basically same chassis as Diplomat. I purchased it second hand with 25,000 miles on it. The first time a semi passed me on the interstate I thought I was going to introduce the imperial to the ditch. I had a dually & 5th wheel, and not for a second did I expect a 40,000 lb coach to be shoved around like that. After reading this forum I put Koni shocks on. What a beautiful treat. I have no idea why Monoco use Bilstiens
caisert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 05:04 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by caisert:
After reading this forum I put Koni shocks on. What a beautiful treat. I have no idea why Monoco use Bilstiens </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah, I'm thinking I have to bite te bullet and do that too. Hate to pay for new shocks on a new caoch, but the Dip didn't even come with Bilsteins. They stuck Monroe shocks on there at the factory.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 05:58 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">but the Dip didn't even come with Bilsteins. They stuck Monroe shocks on there at the factory. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>OK.. I just asked Sacs which ones we have .. he said.."Haven't looked..but there is a flashlight - feel free to go out in the rain..and take a look. The flashlight is on the dash."
I am just satisfied knowing that we will put Konis on when we DO replace the shocks!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 09:16 AM   #28

The 1st coach I had was a 2001 Tradewind by National You could not keep it on the road.I purchased & installed a TrueCenter by Roadmaster.This solved the problem.I purchased a 2005 HR Endeavor but the TrueCenter on it then I moved up to the 07 Camelot 42'tag axel & installed it on the Camelot have no problems with the wind or 18 wh.Would not be with out it. Had a blow out on the front passenger side of the endeaver. Coach stayed straight slowed down & pulled off the road with out a problem..No damages.

2007 Monaco Camelot
popeye is offline   Reply With Quote