Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2011, 02:15 PM   #1

can't fill my tank

I am new to the forum so i hope this works. I have a 2001 monaco Diplomat that I bought used. every time I fill up the 100 gallon diesel fuel tank and just let the pump stop when it is full, I hear a electric solinoid typs clicking and about 2 gallons of fuel pumps out of the over flow tube all over the ground. I have resorted to watching the gage on the dash but I cant beleive this is how it is supposed to work. Any help would be great the dealer has ben no help.
nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2011, 02:19 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum!

That's a strange problem I've never heard before. I'll be interested in responses from other Monaco owners.

Best of luck to you. We're glad you found us.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
rex

Monaco Owners Club
I also have a 2001 Diplomat and never had that problem. Fuel is cycled back to the tank from the fuel pump but that should not be causing your problem.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:48 PM   #4

fuel

open the other side of fuel cap to let the air out should work fine then
cunninghamjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I never had that problem or heard the noise on my 02 Diplomat.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:48 PM   #6

No second cap to open but I follow your wisdom. The first time it happened I thought maybe the fuel was cold then hit the tank warmed up and expanded. The second time the fuel was cool. I can see the hose it is coming from and it sure looks like a vent line but if there is a pumps I can not see it
Old 10-03-2011, 06:21 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cunninghamjr View Post
open the other side of fuel cap to let the air out should work fine then
Make sure you on level ground before you do this.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:57 AM   #8

This rig only has the one fuel cap on the passenger side. It is as level as it can get at a fuel pump. I think there is something funky with the vent line
Old 10-03-2011, 12:59 PM   #9

I can not say for your coach but many automobiles have a spring loaded flap located somewhere close to the bottom of the filler neck. This flap will and can move with fluel movement and can make a "clicking" sound hear from the top of the neck. It is designed to help with fuel slosh up the filler tube. My 94 Chevy dually is terrible for backsplash from the neck when using the semi type nozzles. Diesel foams very bad as it is forced into your tank. Try to slow the stream of in going fuel down when nearing the top. Yes this is a pain but not much we can do without redesigning something
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:25 AM   #10

I don't think mine has the flapper. The noise is coming from the the other side of the tank. It sounds like some kind of pump like the kind you find at jiffy lube for the bulk oil only it is not operated with air. When the fuel comes out the flow pulses with the noise. That is why I think it is some kind of over fill protection devise. I would assume that 100 gallons of diesel could expand enough in a tank to cause problems.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:37 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 2000 Diplomat. While I don't hear any solenoid clicking I do experience the overflow problem. I read somewhere that there is a baffle in the tank that causes a burp effect. I have filled up and watched at least a half gallon spill back on the ground. By moving the rig and causing the fuel to slosh around instantly stops the overflow. Have not pursued a fix. Let us know what you find.
John
Old 10-12-2011, 02:49 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkerB View Post
I have filled up and watched at least a half gallon spill back on the ground.Have not pursued a fix. Let us know what you find.
John
Drill a 1/8" hole in the overflow elbow where it comes out of the top of the tank to break the siphon.

See this thread:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/syph...ter-81410.html
Old 10-12-2011, 04:36 PM   #13

It is not a siphon situation I actually put my thumb over the hose and it was under pressure as it was flowing out. The burp effect is interesting but I have tried twice to move the coach whole this was happening the first time I left a trail of diesel thirty feet long on the ground. I am still at a loss
Old 10-12-2011, 08:08 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Please disregard my post number 12. I was watching two threads, and posted a reply about the water tank in this one, sorry.

Carry on. I'll be in the corner if you need me

Tags
tank