Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2010, 09:36 PM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I would dare say that with having 2 dry cells on your battery, it is history.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
I would concur. Put a 'load test' on it if you want but I would not want to depend on that battery.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2010, 09:40 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Gramps.. if you let two cells go dry, the battery is no good.. it will never hold a charge... Replace it.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:29 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Gramps, from your blog it looks to me like you found your little piece of paradise at Deer Creek. It sounds to me like your batteries are shot. Even though you think they are only 18 months old, they could have been sitting in that chassis for up to two years before you purchased the coach. Get them checked and then when you replace them you will need to monitor them on a regular basis. Here's a website that may be helpful to you.

http://www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volt.htm

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:15 AM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
-Gramps- There is plenty of warranty left on that battery, 18 mos on a 72 month battery. Check your batt warranty. Should be at least a 2yr free period after that they will pro-rate.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:36 AM   #19

Exide should make good on the battery but because it is the UFO chassis, you might have to go through a workhorse service center--this happened to my gasser as well 1 yr in and I did get a new battery no questions asked. That's a bit strange because Monaco uses Interstate batteries generally and Workhorse used Delco....because of the unique nature of the UFO chassis and the fact that Monaco only made it for a short time makes the general coach manual not accurate in this case. That's why it shows a BIRD...probably for the Vacationer Diesel and not the UFO model...fortunately though your warranty for the battery will cover you and except for some time and cussing.....you will be good to go. I wonder if you do have a chassis disconnect..mine is in the battery compartment above the chassis batteries...just opposite to the house batteries..Workhorse gas engines generally don't come from workhorse with a disconnect for the chassis, but I've only seen one UFO at Hershey and didn't examine it that closely. Your wallet will be spared, but you will have to go through the game. I'm depending on my BIRD to keep chassis batteries charged and now you gave me an excuse to stop by my storage yard tonight on way home. My manual states they do charge from the BIRD. We'll see if it works. or I get the BIRD from the batteries. Since you have an EXIDE battery, you might have to get them involved too so don't be afraid to give them a ring to customer service and go from there.

Stay warm...
bullydogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:43 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I installed the Excide battery. The original Workhorse battery went bad right after I bought the coach. Workhorse would only allow 40 bucks towards a replacement
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:56 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gramps

Sorry to hear about your battery problem.

Just a month ago, went out to the RV garage and heard the solenoid disconnect chattering in the battery storage area. Tried to start the generator but it would not turn over. Disconnected the batteries and checked water and it was good. Re-charged the batteries but they would not take a full charge. Went to Sams and got replacement Interstates and charged prior to installing. After they were installed, tried the generator again and it still would not start. Inspected the cables attached to the battery and found corrosion starting to develop between the cable running to the generator and the cable running to the coach. Cleaned them and coated with compound and the generator started right up.

With respect to the Bird relay, took a look at the coach and this one has it installed. At least on first glance, I believe it is a Bird relay. Small printed circuit board tied into the distribution area. Will confirm and let you know when it warms up a little here in Houston. Low 20's this week which is extreme for us.

Best regards and good luck with this.

UFO Chassis
Lash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:59 AM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
You still have a warranty, you might need a receipt. A lot of places use your name that's in their computer system, no receipt needed. I like Wal-mart they just scan the batt and give you a new one.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:29 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Lash, I don't think we have a BIRD relay, at least not one that is pictured in the manual. But we could have an upgrade circuit board. I know which one you are talking about. Red wire running from it to the iso relay. I need to look at the part number and see if it is the upgrade. If not it can be purchased from Mega Rv Parts in Oregon. I will let you know what I find out.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:23 PM   #24

Let us know how everything turns out.....WH would only allow 40 dollars....Sheesh.....they are getting downright hostile, aren't they? I had no trouble with them but that was winter 2007..... Interstate gave me flack over a bad celled battery in 2009 being replaced but after a few letters, I got my money back. Funny how we all have to fight for what is rightfully ours anyway. Thanks for answering the exide question 'cause I was scratching my head over that one. I just checked the weather report...it's going to be downright cold for the next week. I need to hit the lottery so we can head south--although it's cold down there too...I only hope they put the thing in an accessible place so you can easily change the chassis battery.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:56 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Lash if your coach has the BIRD circuit, it looks pretty much like the uni charge delay circuit board but has two extra blue wires that are attached, (I think) to the charging iso solenoid. I know I don't have it but it is a retro fit board for our circuit panel. It cost the same as the trik-l-start that I was thinking about getting and will do a better job of keeping all batteries charged up.

As to my current battery problem. My chassis battery is showing 12.68 volts at the moment but I don't know how it will function under a load. I think I also have a bad manual disconnect switch, that thing with the big red knob that says chassis on it.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:21 PM   #26

Those big red knobs have gone bad before plenty of times...I left mine on since I have it plugged in.. Checked on it last night and panel is showing 13.6 Float Charge but then surged up after I used the stairs...(chassis battery) so it is definitely charging both banks...The load test is how I found out one of my chassis batteries was defective last year...If removing the battery isn't too much of a bear I'd do it and have it load tested....Maybe Exide can get you a place that if battery proves bad will hand you over a new one.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:35 PM   #27

Don- the old carbon pile battery testers won't work if the battery isn't charged, and some newer electronic ones also won't. However, a good and truly modern battery tester doesn't need to run a high load on the battery to determine if it is simply in need of charge or won't handle a load. My SnapOn MicroVAT is of the modern type, & will test any starting type battery and places only a mild load on it, but does some kind of electronic magic to divine battery condition. It will tell me if the battery is good but needs charging. AutoZone and Kragen's should have this type of tester in most locations.

Gramps- you can test the manual switch by doing a voltage drop test across the switch with some load on the circuit (dome light oughta do it). If you have more than ~0.02 volts drop I'd start thinking the switch contacts are fouled. Whether you can clean & lube them is dependent on switch design.

I started buying my starter batteries at Costco a few years back. Plenty of locations, decent price, probably decent battery. Had one not fully charging after 2 years and took it back. They gave me the price I paid for it when new, no questions, not even a test. As a stockholder, I protested that they were giving me $5 more than the current price of the battery, and that the actual warranty only entitled me to pro-ration after the 1st year, all to no avail, they just wanted to give me money. Then I bought the same battery but was charged a core charge ($9), which I protested as I had just returned the original battery, all to no avail- that's the policy, yada, yada... So I returned a different dead battery for the $9 and got another piece of junk outa my garage. End result- Costco is a great place to get starter batteries given the customer treatment overall. Haven't checked out their deep cycle 6V batt's, but suspect similar story there.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:48 PM   #28

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
all non sealed batteries require equalizing on a regular basis. I guess some are now calling it desulfating. Either way, after you get straightened around you may want to include a battery maintainer that equalizes on demand. Doing so will greatly enhance the usefull life of any battery. Try googling "battery equalize".
Also as priviously stated, you cannot load test a dead battery.
You may want to add a battery fill system such as Flow Rite or some other brand. That will help reduce gassing and your refilling requirements.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote