Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2009, 06:47 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can't take it any more, Ripped out all the carpet.

In 2 hrs. The DW and I ripped out the booth, table, couch, slide carpet, stair carpet and treads, drivers seat, co pilot seat and all the rugs in the front. The dog house was a pain but it's done to. The hardwood is staying and we are using a Mannington fiberglass backed vinyl for the entry and center area. A plush pile carpet in the slide, bedroom, and cab area. I think when they were building these things they were getting staples for free. I put up photos on our family blog and the flooring samples are there. Take a look if you feel like it and give me your input.

Thanks

Al

www.morancy-adventures.blogspot.com

Morancy Adventures!!
03HRVacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2009, 06:57 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Looks like a lot of work, can't believe you got that much done in a few hours. Like the new vinyl too!
Old 04-28-2009, 07:15 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
WoW...looking good..please keep us posted with progress pics too..
Old 04-30-2009, 08:43 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Great photos and you look exhausted. We tore out our carpet a few months back and it turned out to be a good decision. You wont miss the carpeting at all.

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:49 AM   #5

We are thinking about a similar project. I don't want to pay for another carpet cleaning that only lasts about 2 camping trips. I was not planning to do the forward seat or doghouse area though. How will you recover a convoluted curved doghouse?

We're looking at some options. One is a thicker groutable vinyl tile using an acrylic grout. The other is called Allure strip vinyl that has an overlapping adhesive strip. The Allure is probably easier overall, but I kind of favor the look of a grouted tile.
I appreciate seeing others' experience.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:19 AM   #6
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Hey, you made a great start. Actually you have already done the hard part, the carpet install will be easy, well with the exception of the doghouse and exit steps. Those two items took me longer than anything else.
A tip on the carpet.
1. Pick the wall you want to start on and roll it out to the other wall. Use some builders paper (long roll of brown paper about 24” wide) and lay it against the opposite wall from where you started the carpet.
2. Put a few pieces (quarter size) pieces of double sided tape on the paper as far away from the wall as you can, and under the paper and lightly stick it down to the floor.
3. Now put a lot of double sided tape on top of the paper near the wall. Now roll the carpet down on top of the paper and press down so it sticks to the carpet.
4. Now gently roll it back making sure the paper does not pull loose from the carpet while you unstuck the paper from the floor.
5. Now you can cut the carpet along the paper where it was against the wall and the carpet will fit nicely. Will also work where the wall is not even or where you have to fit around something like the doghouse opening or a cabinet.
I didn’t see any knee pads in your pictures. Would be a good idea to get some. You can staple the carpet back down or use tack strips.
Good luck

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:06 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the tips Rex, I'm lucking out on this one, I only have to worry about the demo, as a consturction superintendent I have built up some favors and I'm calling them in from my carpet guys.

Two2go, the dog house cover is a pain to cover but I had no choice in the matter, they have to make the cuts in the rug to make the turns and after 6 years those two corners were all frayed and coming apart. It's not like they use top quality rugs in these things off the line. The carpet we are using is a top of the line thick pile. It lists for 47 bucks a yard I'm paying 30, could have got the low end at 13 but there is no compareison. The backing makes all the difference on how it holds up. The slide out had no pad under the rugs and seeing we live out of the camper all winter, it's our snowmobiling camp on wheels, we will put the pad there for warmth, every little bit helps when it's 20 below.

The material should be here with in a week so we are excited to post up the next set of pictures.

Thanks for the nice comments.

Morancy Adventures!!
Old 04-30-2009, 09:05 PM   #8
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Al,

As you plan on having a pad under the carpet, and a deep pile carpet, don't staple it down as the staples will always show, been there, done that. Use the tack strips. You will have to use contact cement on the doghouse cover, and yes that is a real pain. Do as much fitting and cutting as you can before sticking it down. where the carpet meets the steps, you will have a problem in the corners. May be able to put a small piece on the vertical part of the upper step so the carpet looks solid where you will need to cut it to round over into the step well. Of course, you could use some sort of trim mold where it meets the steps.

Rex

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:42 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Al...I an not envious of the process but I will be envious of the finished product!! Keep up the great work!

MM

PS..check out your signature!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:32 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks MM for the signituure change!!

The updated pics will be Monday night the 11th, that's flooring day.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Al

Morancy Adventures!!
Old 05-11-2009, 07:46 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Monday Night Update

Today was flooring day. Long day as anybody that has gone thru this would know.

The updated photos are on the blog. Now I have to put it back together..

I'm tired and ready for bed, please look at the pic's and give some feedback. We excited and it looks like new.

Thanks

Al

Morancy Adventures!!
Old 05-12-2009, 01:42 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Nicely done, Al !! Isn't it too bad you can't keep such an "Open floor plan" as it is in the pics!!?

I will be watching for the final photos...

MM

PS...I would like to recommend you all to read Al's blog... or I should say... at least his "profile". You will have a new outlook on life after you have read it....
MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:34 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Al,

Looks great!
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:28 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IT's Done!!!

Mission Complete, It looks like a new rig. Final pics on the blog. Thanks for the support.

Morancy Adventures!!