Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2008, 06:41 AM   #1

This just hasn't been my month. Went on a little local get-together with friends from out FMCA chapter @Bayou Segnette SP late last month. Typical summer squall coming up, went to roll up the patio awning, no tension in the spring. Had to roll it up by hand on a ladder. Later took MH to a local repair shop, verified that it was the front spring, ordered another and replaced. Not a big deal.
Getting ready to go on a similar trip to So. Miss. last week, got the MH from storage and when I got it home the rear slide topper/window awning had partially unfurled. No tension in the spring. Jury rigged it with rubber bungee cords and made the trip. Just had to get on the ladder to roll it up. Had ordered another spring before leaving.
While on this trip, again a summer squall was coming up so rolled the patio awning up in the rain. Worked fine. Got home and unrolled it to dry it out, still ok, went to roll it back up and, yep no tension on the roller. Rear spring is broken. Ordered another one yesterday. Guess I better go ahead and order another spring for the front slide topper as it looks like just a matter of time before it breaks also. Get them all changed out and should be good for another 8yrs.
The $$$ for these springs is starting to be more expensive than the fuel for these short trips.
Dave
MCDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2008, 06:41 AM   #2

This just hasn't been my month. Went on a little local get-together with friends from out FMCA chapter @Bayou Segnette SP late last month. Typical summer squall coming up, went to roll up the patio awning, no tension in the spring. Had to roll it up by hand on a ladder. Later took MH to a local repair shop, verified that it was the front spring, ordered another and replaced. Not a big deal.
Getting ready to go on a similar trip to So. Miss. last week, got the MH from storage and when I got it home the rear slide topper/window awning had partially unfurled. No tension in the spring. Jury rigged it with rubber bungee cords and made the trip. Just had to get on the ladder to roll it up. Had ordered another spring before leaving.
While on this trip, again a summer squall was coming up so rolled the patio awning up in the rain. Worked fine. Got home and unrolled it to dry it out, still ok, went to roll it back up and, yep no tension on the roller. Rear spring is broken. Ordered another one yesterday. Guess I better go ahead and order another spring for the front slide topper as it looks like just a matter of time before it breaks also. Get them all changed out and should be good for another 8yrs.
The $$$ for these springs is starting to be more expensive than the fuel for these short trips.
Dave
Old 08-01-2008, 05:17 AM   #3

MCDDY
Had the same trouble with the front spring and was replaced 2 years before (free as it was broke when bought).The spring has a steel ring crimped over it on the end aluminum support arm and had spun around under tension of the spring and lost all tension.As a gerry rig to roll up the awning I drilled through the steel ring and between the spring turns and aluminum into steel rod then tapped it and installed a flat headed screw....then re-tensioned the spring ..works for now
How much are the front springs worth to buy and where, as one is probably in my near future
pipedream2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:31 AM   #4

Dennis
When I had the front spring installed total bill was $182 labor included. Really didn't take 30min..for evaluation that it was the front spring then a week later the install. This was the heavy duty spring vs. the normal and the front one has the ratchet/lock so is more expensive. I will do the repair on both the rear patio spring and the slide topper also. This is a little shop, he just repairs RVs, sells basic supplies/parts. Does a little consignment business, been doing business with him for 20+yrs. Have done some horse trading with him on towbars, weight distributing hitches, etc., I buy something new and he sells my old one. I get a good deal and he makes a few bucks on the resale.
I'll try to give you some feedback on the $$$ of the 2 other springs sometime next week.
Dave
Old 08-02-2008, 03:16 AM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">MCDDY </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks MCDDY ....
It is the front spring with the ratchet that I "repaired" and will need replacement i feel in the near future.Don't know the inner workings of other awnings as I have never had to take them apart ...Had a awning for 11 trouble free years on a previous MH...It was NOT a Carefree awning and IMHO Carefree should change their very misleading name at once
end of rant
pipedream2 is offline   Reply With Quote