RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2015, 03:22 PM   #1

Carefree entry door awning problem

awning will not retract. most likely, bad motor; have current to motor from clicking sound when hitting the switch. Carefree motor removal instructions reguire the color-keyed housing to be altered by drilling (4) 3/4" holes to get to motor screws to remove the motor and replacement motor will include new housing that will require painting. Has anyone gone thru the process of removing the motor? I'm thinking it may be worthwhile to remove the entire awning from the coach and work on it on a table top. Instructions further state- if followed- to have a second person to assist due to tension spring. Any insights will be appreciated. Coach is 2006 HR Imperial 42.

curtismb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2015, 08:49 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtismb View Post
awning will not retract. most likely, bad motor; have current to motor from clicking sound when hitting the switch. Carefree motor removal instructions reguire the color-keyed housing to be altered by drilling (4) 3/4" holes to get to motor screws to remove the motor and replacement motor will include new housing that will require painting. Has anyone gone thru the process of removing the motor? I'm thinking it may be worthwhile to remove the entire awning from the coach and work on it on a table top. Instructions further state- if followed- to have a second person to assist due to tension spring. Any insights will be appreciated. Coach is 2006 HR Imperial 42.
We did replace ours on our 07 HR Ambassador. Did not need to drill anything to access motor. We did remove it from coach and work on it on a table. It was about a year or 2 ago, don't remember where we got the motor or the instructions, but it wasn't too hard to replace. As I recall, we fought to get it off the coach mount and later realized there were 2 small screws underneath that when removed, allowed the entire assembly to tilt up and pop out of the track mount.

Good Luck

Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:27 AM   #3

When you state that you removed from coach and worked on it on table; are you saying you removed the entire awning from the coach? If so; as I look at the rail that is mounted to the coach, I see (4) screws and can't see anymore that would be removed to remove the entire awning from the coach. I did get feedback from another very savvy owner that was successful in removing only the motor case from the awning frame without any drilling and I will attempt to follow his instructions but sure am giving thought to removing the entire awning. Thank you!
Old 04-24-2015, 06:53 AM   #4
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/entr...ts-218274.html

Just in case you have information on the wrong awning model check this thread out. Scrolll down to 7 and 8 for some pictures.
My awning will lift up and out of the track once a couple of screws are removed holding it down.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:27 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/entr...ts-218274.html

Just in case you have information on the wrong awning model check this thread out. Scrolll down to 7 and 8 for some pictures.
My awning will lift up and out of the track once a couple of screws are removed holding it down.
This was our experience also. We tried to get at the motor on the coach (very difficult). It took us a while to realize we needed to remove the 2 bottom screws into the track and then the whole unit will swing up and pull right out of the track mount. The track mount stays securely connected to the coach. That is how ours worked.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:32 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our unit is a Carefree Marquee Series Awning I believe. I have 4 pdf documents that I referenced during the process. I don't know how to upload them here but if you PM with your email, I can send to you.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:12 AM   #7

Door awning

Appreciate your input. My awning is the Freedom model and I understand there are differences between the Freedom & Marquee. I have been in communication with an owner in Portland, Or who has one like mine and he was able to remove motor without drilling into cover, albeit; it was not a simple task. Because of his experience, I, too, may find that difficult and may have to resort to complete awning removal and thus my interest in learning if anyone has removed the entire Carefree Freedom entry door awning.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:31 AM   #8
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Mac View Post
Our unit is a Carefree Marquee Series Awning I believe. I have 4 pdf documents that I referenced during the process. I don't know how to upload them here but if you PM with your email, I can send to you.

Norm, see if this helps you learn how to upload files. It is fairly simple and a great tool for sharing information on this forum.

One thing I forgot to note was to hit the close tab at the top after your last attachment has been uploaded. Also, when you open the files look for the yellow note pad icon somewhere on the page and click it. I have information attached that will pop up.

Then gator is just to show pictures can be uploaded easily too. He's just waiting for a hand out, any hand out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alligator.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	92520  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1.pdf (78.5 KB, 76 views)
File Type: pdf 2.pdf (55.4 KB, 47 views)
File Type: pdf 3.pdf (50.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: pdf 4.pdf (44.7 KB, 35 views)
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 02:28 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Norm, see if this helps you learn how to upload files. It is fairly simple and a great tool for sharing information on this forum.
Excellent! Thanks Myron

Tags
awning, door