Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2021, 09:40 AM   #1

Carefree mirage awning

When I bought my ‘04 Imperial in 2007, the awning motor was dead and the seller (Tom Raper in Indiana) agreed to replace the motor. For one reason or another, they finally sent me a new motor and I installed it myself. That motor failed after a couple of years and I contacted Carefree of Colorado and visited the factory, they helped me out with a motor that had been returned under warranty but checked out as good. I installed that motor and all was working until a couple of months ago when it wouldn’t move. I went through the recommendations in the manual, and the conclusion was “motor dead, replace it.” Fine, but the website shows a price of $1800 and up. Since I almost never use the awning, and have opened it up no more than a few times in the 16 years I have owned the coach, I’m reluctant to fix it again.

The motor is a 120 volt unit with internal limit switches to set the in and out positions. There are 3 whites to the motor, one for in, one for out, and a neutral. I’m suspecting that both limit switches have failed in the open state. I believe that when a limit switch opens up, it disconnects the power so that direction no longer works. The reverse direction limit switch in still closed, so the reverse direction still should work. However, I have powered the motor in both directions and nothing moves.

Getting the motor out for further analysis requires a manual override using a 7mm hex key through a hole in the plastic end cap to the awning case. 7mm hex keys are not included in the Allen wrench sets I’ve seen. They seem to go from 6 to 8 with no 7, so I’ve tried to modify an 8 to a 7 by grinding. I think I may have rounded the 7mm socket in the motor housing so it no longer works. The only way to get the endcap off the awning of surgical as the fasteners are only accessible when the awning is open.

Any comments or experiences are welcome.

Dick L. ‘04 Imperial
RCLImperial is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2021, 09:53 AM   #2

I don't know anything about that awning or motor but it sounds like you're on the right track. This set is inexpensive and comes with a 7mm socket: https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-...-pc-69546.html

Pick one of these up while you're at it. If you've really stripped the existing bolt, one of these should pull it out relatively easily.

https://www.harborfreight.com/left-h...-pc-61686.html
Old 08-14-2021, 09:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fffrank View Post
I don't know anything about that awning or motor but it sounds like you're on the right track. This set is inexpensive and comes with a 7mm socket: https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-...-pc-69546.html

Pick one of these up while you're at it. If you've really stripped the existing bolt, one of these should pull it out relatively easily.

https://www.harborfreight.com/left-h...-pc-61686.html

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the 7 mm hex drive is accessed through a 1/2 inch hole in the awning end cap. The awning extension is allowed by unrolling the cover which uncovers the access the screws holding the end cap. The tube the awning is on remains on the side of the rv and the arms are spring loaded to extend as allowed by the unrolling awning. Looks like cutting the end cap is my only option.

Good yo know that 7 mm hex keys really exist. I looked at my local Harbor freight and all the hex key sets went from 6 to 8 mm without a 7.

Dick L.
RCLImperial is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, free