RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2019, 10:42 AM   #1

Carefree Over Door Awning question

I'm going to replace the over door awning fabric myself and have ordered the fabric from StoneVoss.

Ive watch a few youtube videos and it appears there is only one spring to wind... that being the rear.

The reason I ask is that my existing awning winds up somewhat cockeyed and maybe be due to the existing fabric being a mess.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning IMG_9727 (4)_pe.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	261517

Any tricks or tips to do the job much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2019, 01:06 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I want to follow this...

Timaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 01:24 PM   #3

2 springs , one of them is made of unabtainium. I tied mine shut to keep it from blowing open in bad winds on the highway. Very easy to remove and Install.
shootist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 01:26 PM   #4

One thing you want to make certain is to line up the end of the awning on the spool with the end on the trailer. You won't get it perfect but good enough to start. Do that with the awning retracted. Then extend the awning. Let it retract slowly and see if the supports go together exactly as they are supposed to. If slightly off extend the awning and move the awning on the spool to fix the misalignment. If the outside support as to the left of the inside arm, move the awing in the slot to the left to pull the arm right. To do this start on the right and push the fabric left working your way to the other side. It will wrinkle in the slot as you progress to the other end. It's not easy and you may have to do it several times. Keep retracting the awing until the supports are perfectly aligned. Mark each end of the spool where the fabric ends, so if it moves you can get it back. If the fabric comes with rubber strings coming out from each end, don't cut them off. Put those into the end caps to hold the awning.
MingusPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 11:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRoy View Post
I'm going to replace the over door awning fabric myself and have ordered the fabric from StoneVoss.

Ive watch a few youtube videos and it appears there is only one spring to wind... that being the rear.

The reason I ask is that my existing awning winds up somewhat cockeyed and maybe be due to the existing fabric being a mess.

Attachment 261517

Any tricks or tips to do the job much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Thanks for the responses

I checked further and yes there are springs on both sides of my awning.

I ran makeshift pins in both sides ( pics) just to test and see if they locked... and they did so.

FYI the first one I tried to put a locking pin thru... there was a mud dobber nest and had to play with a bit to get opened up.

So Im currently waiting for my fabric which should be here in a week or so...and then need to line up an extra human body or two to help guide the new fabric in the tracks.

Till then

Happy Trails

[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9741.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	261616[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9740.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	261615  
Old 09-27-2019, 06:23 PM   #6

I used a 10 ft step ladder, unbolted it from the arms slide the whole assembly out the front. Change the fabric on your tailgate and slide it back in, you are only dealing with the coach side track for the fabric that way. Would be easier with 2 people, I agree, but not necessary. I did all four of my toppers alone as well. Used the 19mil talin vinyl.
shootist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
I used a 10 ft step ladder, unbolted it from the arms slide the whole assembly out the front. Change the fabric on your tailgate and slide it back in, you are only dealing with the coach side track for the fabric that way. Would be easier with 2 people, I agree, but not necessary. I did all four of my toppers alone as well. Used the 19mil talin vinyl.
Thank you.

I do anticipate pulling it out the front lock stock and barrel.

That said I don't want to chance to drop it on the coach as it comes out. Pushing 70 years old and with nerve damage in my hands I need someone else to blame if it gets dropped

I bought one of these the other day at a garage sale for $100.00 best move Ive made since owning this coach ....way safer than a step ladder ( at least my step ladder) 
Name:   H-844-10.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  3.2 KB

Happy Trails
Old 10-08-2019, 08:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRoy View Post
Thank you.

I do anticipate pulling it out the front lock stock and barrel.

That said I don't want to chance to drop it on the coach as it comes out. Pushing 70 years old and with nerve damage in my hands I need someone else to blame if it gets dropped

I bought one of these the other day at a garage sale for $100.00 best move Ive made since owning this coach ....way safer than a step ladder ( at least my step ladder) Attachment 261686

Happy Trails
Finally got around to this project.

So as stated this is a pretty simple & straight forward deal.

I used this video as a primer as to what I was going to be in to and although a different brand [ a&e] the only difference in the procedure was the pinning [ locking ] the awning springs on my Care Free and you can see that in my previously attached pics.

I might add that I added a couple of more rotations on the springs and now closes nicely and to my liking.

Thanks to all that contribute here at iRV2 it makes diagnosing and servicing a little less overwhelming.

ps: Ingrid @ Stone Voss... very nice folks ..quality product Home | STONE VOS

Happy Trails

Tags
awning, door