Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2013, 09:01 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Carefree Over the Door Awning manual

Does anyone have a manual for the Carefree OTD awning, part number VZ052BQ25WM. Carefree has discontinued this awning and don't even show a manual in their discontinued manual section. I need to get mine off to repair a broken wire. I did the obvious of removing the four screws at the bottom and the silicone caulk at the top. It does not lift up out of the brackets. There seems to be a screw behind the motor housing into the side of the coach. I can't get the motor cover off either.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2013, 11:43 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Some lift off, but ours slides off towards the front.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is what I have. Hope they help.
Gordon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks

Gordon66:
Thanks for posting the information. Love this kind of stuff for future reference.
Logthumper
Old 08-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon66 View Post
This is what I have. Hope they help.
Thanks for posting Gordon, but none of those seem to match our OTD awning.

Bob
Old 08-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
Some lift off, but ours slides off towards the front.
I was thinking it should lift up and out but it seems to be stuck. Maybe I am being to gentle. I will try to slide it forward. I know it has been off because when we purchased the coach from Lazydays about 6 years ago the motor was froze and they took the awning off to replace it. You can see where they broke one of the screws and had to drill a new screw hole. The awning works fine but when we were in Gillette at the FMCA Rally in June we forgot the door awning was out and the wind picked up with a vengeance. I tried to bring the awning in but it would not move. I was afraid it was going to get ripped out of the coach wall and used our dog leases to tie it down until the wind stopped. Turns out the wind picked up far enough on the awning to break one of the power wires where it comes out of the wall. There is no way to get back there to make the repair without removing the awning. I had to make a temporary cable from a 12 volt source to get the awning retracted.

I remember when I was a kid and thought there was nothing to do. I now believe they will put an incomplete list of "things to do" in my coffin. Most of the items will be related to the motorhome.

Bob
Old 08-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #7

Bob,

I had mine replaced a couple of years ago at the Coburg, Oregon facility.

I think I have the manual somewhere on my computer as I went through the same problem you did. Looks like we have similar coaches.

Give me a day or two to hunt for it and to verify the model. I believe that the only way you can remove that OEM awning is to drill two holes into the front awning cover and then remove the screws. It really was a stupid way to build it at the time. The newer replacement one can be removed much more easily.

Let me get back to you.
Chef Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Guy View Post
Bob,

I had mine replaced a couple of years ago at the Coburg, Oregon facility.

I think I have the manual somewhere on my computer as I went through the same problem you did. Looks like we have similar coaches.

Give me a day or two to hunt for it and to verify the model. I believe that the only way you can remove that OEM awning is to drill two holes into the front awning cover and then remove the screws. It really was a stupid way to build it at the time. The newer replacement one can be removed much more easily.

Let me get back to you.
Guy,

I just sent you my email address in a PM. Last night I took another look and came to the conclusion that there must be screws from the inside of the awning attaching it to the coach. What you say supports that. Guess I will get the jumper cables back out and open up the awning and see what gives.

Again, many thanks,

Bob
Old 08-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks to those that posted. I now have the awning repaired and back on. The reason the awning was so hard to get off was because Monaco used hex head lag bolts when they should have used countersunk heads. The Carefree brackets are clearly drilled and countersunk. Normally the awning drops straight down onto the brackets and is secured at the bottom with screws through the bracket into the awning. There is a lip at the top rear of the awning that the brackets slide into. The bottom of the bracket is bent in a "C" shape for the bottom of the awning to sit in. The hex heads where about a 1/4 inch high and prevented the awning from lifting straight up and out of the brackets. I had to force the awning out of the "C" channel at the bottom of the brackets so the bottom of the awning could be tilted out. That allowed the rear of the awning to clear the hex heads and slip out of the brackets. Needless to say, I removed the hex heads and replaced them.

Maybe my experience will help someone in the future.

Bob
Old 08-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #10

Bob,

Glad you were able to fix it. You're right about the install on that OtD awning.

Also, you were able to fix it. My motor was toast and it made more sense to replace the whole thing to the Marquis awning, to enable easier future repairs!

Hope to make it to Tennessee one of these days.

Guy
Chef Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I have the Marquee, over the door awning, & want to replace the fabric, but I can`t find a way to remove the end caps -- There are no screws on them -- I`ve read the manual on fabric replacement, & it refers to removing the screws -- Anyone done this project ? Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Willard View Post
I have the Marquee, over the door awning, & want to replace the fabric, but I can`t find a way to remove the end caps -- There are no screws on them -- I`ve read the manual on fabric replacement, & it refers to removing the screws -- Anyone done this project ? Bill Willard
Mine did not have screws either it snapped on.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Bill,

Does this mean I have to go to Gilbert this week?

I'm in the process of replacing the tube motor on mine, so I know first hand. The caps snap off, but not easily. I'll bring one that is off so you can see where the tabs are.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycarz View Post
Bill,

Does this mean I have to go to Gilbert this week?

I'm in the process of replacing the tube motor on mine, so I know first hand. The caps snap off, but not easily. I'll bring one that is off so you can see where the tabs are.
Harry did come to Gilbert, & held a class on the awning -- I`m now ready to tackle the fabric replacement -- Thanks Harry --- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, door, manual