Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2013, 10:00 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Steve you are so neat. This is what happens after over 11 years of Full Time in the same MH. And this is just one side. The other compartments look the same. All Full.
Now that's what I call full
Ursu din Bv. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2013, 10:07 AM   #44

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover
The above story brings to mind the thought ... What if someone puts something IN your unlocked storage bay then follows you as you motor through border patrol checkpoints. Afterward pulling you off the road to retrieve the surreptitiously placed cargo?
Hi Moonrover - the next Bond Movie Plot has been hatched. Don't Miss --- Moonrover - you'll thrill to the excitement and intrigue as unsuspecting RVers are turned into mules trafficking in contraband border crossings. . Watch and marvel as Bond performs death defying lane changes while his martini is shaken, not stirred as he pursues the BadCamper. Rated R. Parental guidance advised.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #45

While traveling down the road, all compartments are locked. I hope that by being locked, that they will NOT come open while going down the road. Depending on where we are camping, determines if I lock the compartments or not. Like most others that are traveling, we carry a lot of 'needed' items for and when we need them. Traveling is not like being at the SB, where I have lots of tools and goodies.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:18 AM   #46

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Hi Moonrover - the next Bond Movie Plot has been hatched. Don't Miss --- Moonrover - you'll thrill to the excitement and intrigue as unsuspecting RVers are turned into mules trafficking in contraband border crossings. . Watch and marvel as Bond performs death defying lane changes while his martini is shaken, not stirred as he pursues the BadCamper. Rated R. Parental guidance advised.

jnp_macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:29 AM   #47
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Always locked for reasons stated above. Have developed this habit -

Insert key and unlock.
Open door and turn key to lock - remove key.
Keys in pocket.
Get what I need - do what I need to.
Close door.

Always know where keys are and always know bays are locked.

Second habit - routinely give bay doors the thigh push in passing to make sure they are latched.

Just a habit I got into. Only door that was ever open when going down the highway was my fuel fill door after a pit stop. Gave the lock a little tightening adjustment and hasn't happened since.

Steve and Annie
Yup, do the same unlock/lock, etc.. Never had the fuel door open, though.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT

Yup, do the same unlock/lock, etc.. Never had the fuel door open, though.
Both my fuel doors have those little cheap locks that spin - and when locked the are simply flush against the wall of the box. Not much of a lock at all and certainly not latched. After a while they need to be torqued down or the just spin around. Sad
Old 06-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #49
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Generally, when in a campground, I leave the bays unlocked. If I'm in a crappy area, I lock everything. In this day and age of wire/copper thieves, I don't need my power cord ripped off.

I find it only takes a couple of minutes to lock the bays. Often, I pull my motor home out of the side yard and park it on the street, the night before a trip. Even though our neighborhood is very safe, I don't need some local kids going through my stuff.

Lastly, when stopped somewhere for lunch or dinner where we're out of view of the coach, I lock the bays and have pad locks on all of my tow bar equipment. I don't need some mental midget thinking it's funny to pull a pin or leave a door ajar.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:37 PM   #50

I lock everything! I would never make things easier on a thief. I would rather have a busted up bay door than hand them MY things on a silver platter. Whoever steals from me is going to have to break a sweat to get it.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:07 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorLynn View Post
I lock everything! I would never make things easier on a thief. I would rather have a busted up bay door than hand them MY things on a silver platter. Whoever steals from me is going to have to break a sweat to get it.
Im with you on that.....
Ursu din Bv. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorLynn View Post
I totally agree. I don't make it easier for a thief to break into my house and I'll not do it my rig either. I'd rather spend some money on a good surveillance system and burglar alarm. Actually, if I could get away with it, I'd hook up a cattle fence electrical charge too. If they want to break into my rig, they will pay a price.

R
Socaltoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Mine are generally locked. But I check them and give them a gentle pull each time before I pull out. On one of my first trips, I pulled in off interstate for a sandwich and when I opened the door the first bay next to the entry door was wide open. I'm sure its was closed as I was driving but the slowing momentum must have opened it. I'm sure I failed to latch it before I drove off that morning. So from then on that is on my pre-travel checklist.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Learned The Hard Way

I used to keep all compartments locked, for all the good reasons everyone has stated. Until earlier this year, when I had 2 of my largest basement doors (4') destroyed. That was about a $6K repair by the time they were rebuilt and painted (it was a VERY good repair). I now leave them unlocked all the time, especially when I am in a shifty neighborhood, and just don't keep things there that can be stored somewhere else. Yeah, someone might take my shore power cable, but the way I figure it, I have a lot less than $6K in junk in all my compartments, and all can be replaced for a whole lot less than the repairs on the compartment doors!
Old 06-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #55

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Steve you are so neat. This is what happens after over 11 years of Full Time in the same MH. And this is just one side. The other compartments look the same. All Full.
x2 Yep, those look my compartments too. Of course I can't do without anything in there even if i can't find what I need sometimes. Oh well, eh?
thrushl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #56

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
1skier - that sounds horrible. Hope insurance covered it. Thanks for reminding me to cross Visit shifty neighborhoods off my bucket list. I had been going back and forth on this but I'm sure now. No shifty neighborhoods.