Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2014, 04:31 AM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
Hmmm... I've got lots of old mini leaded LEDs, guess I need to take a switch apart and see what it would be like to replace the incandescent bulb. It sounds like a pain, so I hadn't bothered to explore that avenue.

After posting yesterday, I found a switch on DigiKey that looked promising, but alas it's a nom-stocked item. :(
Adam,

Once you take one of the switches apart you will see why you need the 3mm leaded LED with internal resistor. That is why I purchased these:

Bob
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LED datasheet 14V from Digi-Key.pdf (302.1 KB, 37 views)
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2014, 04:46 AM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
All three of my tanks have heating pads. All three tanks are in the water bay.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:36 AM   #59

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherpilot View Post
I don't think I have a snap disc in the inverter bay. There is a bay heat exchanger from the AquaHot in there mounted on the ceiling over the inverter.
Interesting. I don't have any experience with AquaHot, so I don't know how it affects things. Is there still a cooling exhaust fan on the end wall of the compartment? Mine (and Bob's) look like this: (I'm using Bob's picture since it's much better than the one I took with my phone, I hope he doesn't mind...)

If you have that fan, I'll bet you do have a snap switch hidden somewhere. Trace that cable going off to the right above the auto gen start module. If no fan, then you probably have no snap switch.

Unless the AquaHot can circulate chilled water to cool the inverter (AquaCold? ) I would think that you would still have the cooling fan in there to handle the heat generated when charging or inverting. But there's obviously differences between the various models and years, so who knows?

Quote:
I'd love to have a BSD or theory of operation for that heater, there's a lot in there that isn't needed IMHO.
Yep, lots more than needed. For the way Monaco is using it, all that's really needed in there is a relay to switch the high power lead when the trigger lead is active. You could probably pull all of that circuitry out of there and replace it with a high current automotive relay and everything would work fine. But that's an advanced project that shouldn't be done unless you really know what your doing. (From your comments, it sounds like you might be able to easily handle that, but I can't make that determination remotely. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Once you take one of the switches apart you will see why you need the 3mm leaded LED with internal resistor.
My stock of mini LEDs are almost that size. I measure 0.123 diameter while the datasheet lists 0.114. The difference is less than two sheets of paper. Hopefully that's close enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorlininc View Post
Well, there goes that theory!
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:25 AM   #60

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
The waste tanks are in the water bay. The fresh water tank is in a compartment forward of that by about 10ft and has two pads, as near as I can tell. I can't find any wiring for any pads in the water bay but the cargo heater is supposed to keep that area warm.
Ron
Old 01-03-2014, 10:44 AM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Yep, lots more than needed. For the way Monaco is using it, all that's really needed in there is a relay to switch the high power lead when the trigger lead is active. You could probably pull all of that circuitry out of there and replace it with a high current automotive relay and everything would work fine. But that's an advanced project that shouldn't be done unless you really know what your doing. (From your comments, it sounds like you might be able to easily handle that, but I can't make that determination remotely. )
The heater uses a relay on the board to switch the power to the heater element. I have a new fan coming for it. When I get it all together again I'll reinstall it and check for proper operation. If it doesn't work then I'll pull it and re-engineer it to a simpler configuration. I'll have to put a thermal fuse in and figure a way to keep the fan on after the element goes off to give it a cool down but that shouldn't be too hard. There is a thermostat on the heater element assy that is in line with the fan but it is showing continuity while it's dead cold so it's either failed or has some other function other than as a cool down device. I suspect that all the other circuitry is for another configuration of heater that has switches and a temp potentiometer on it. The cargo heat unit looks a lot like one of the other space heaters mentioned here so this one may be a dumbed down version of that one.
Ron
Old 01-03-2014, 10:52 AM   #62

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
There is a thermostat on the heater element assy that is in line with the fan but it is showing continuity while it's dead cold so it's either failed or has some other function other than as a cool down device.
Could that be the overtemperature safety device, which opens if too hot, being used instead of a thermal fuse?
Old 01-03-2014, 06:25 PM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Could that be the overtemperature safety device, which opens if too hot, being used instead of a thermal fuse?
It could be but the pix posted here showing the thermal fuse also shows the thermostat.
Ron
Old 01-03-2014, 07:06 PM   #64

Monaco Owners Club
Hmmm... then we truly have a mystery...
Old 01-04-2014, 04:13 AM   #65

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
It could be but the pix posted here showing the thermal fuse also shows the thermostat.
Ron
Ron,

Most likely a previous owner removed the thermal fuse.

Bob
Old 01-04-2014, 04:15 AM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Interesting. I don't have any experience with AquaHot, so I don't know how it affects things. Is there still a cooling exhaust fan on the end wall of the compartment? Mine (and Bob's) look like this: (I'm using Bob's picture since it's much better than the one I took with my phone, I hope he doesn't mind...)

Adam,

I don't mind at all.

Bob
Old 01-04-2014, 02:05 PM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Ron,

Most likely a previous owner removed the thermal fuse.

Bob
I'm the original owner.
Installed the new fan this a/m and plugged it in. The fan stays off even with the system heat sw on and doesn't come on till I freeze the snap disc. The fan comes on but there is no heat. I'll have to get back into it again and re engineer it or figure out how it works and find the bad component. I all else fails I'll buy the look alike and hard wire it in.
Ron
Old 01-05-2014, 04:17 AM   #68

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
..I'm the original owner. ....
Ron

Well that blows that theory out of the water!

Bob
Old 01-05-2014, 05:34 AM   #69

Monaco Owners Club
What heater did you buy? Some heaters have an internal thermostat that turns on the heater coils at a certain temp. Some heaters have their own thermostat. Some heaters have no internal thermostat and the fan and heater coils go on together.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:16 PM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
What heater did you buy? Some heaters have an internal thermostat that turns on the heater coils at a certain temp. Some heaters have their own thermostat. Some heaters have no internal thermostat and the fan and heater coils go on together.
I havn't bought one yet but if I do it'll probably be this one:
RoadPro RPSL-681 12V Direct Hook-Up Ceramic Heater/Fan with Swivel Base : Amazon.com : Automotive

There's another one that looks just like the Cargo Heat unit that has switches and a thermostat on it but it's $120 so I think I'll pass.

Direct Hook-up 12 Volt or 24 Volt 300 Watt Back Seat Car, RV, Van, Boat, Trailer & Cab Heater

Ron

Tags
heater