Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2012, 03:50 AM   #1

Carpet Replacement (anyone done this)?

On my 2001 Dynasty Chancellor.

Not that the carpeting is bad - just that what was installed is becoming a little "dated" (if you know what I mean).

But have been eyeballing the challenge and from what I can see it appears to be a daunting task. The carpeting is up under the slideouts (both front and rear), and it appears to me that in order to do a good job of installation one would have to install the new carpeting up under the slideouts also....

Not sure how to go about this ----

Thoughts, input????

God Bless

Bill
Sepisllib is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2012, 06:16 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
From what your saying the slideout remain on top of the floor, we know the bedroom one does. one way to do and I do it in all my carpet installs that have slide on top of main floor is to remove the trim around the box on the inside and the board that stops it at the wall and over extend the slide just before it comes off the floor I put wooden blocks on the arms to hold the box then last I jait up a bit and put jack stands under each arm on the outside to take the weight off of them. This way will let you get to the edge
Old 08-18-2012, 06:34 AM   #3

Hey Bill,

We are full timers and after 5 years of dealing with the carpet and porcelain tile, we had had enough. The carpet was very good quality but it was a constant struggle to keep it clean. We had the same concerns as you and we decided to have it professionally done. We spend July of last year in Elkhart at Master Tech RV for a remodel. They removed all the old floor covering from the firewall to the closet door. They installed Mannington Adura LVT on the entire main floor area. We could have left the slides alone but we had new carpet put there also.

They removed all the lower dash in the front and the kick boards on the galley base cabinets. The entire bed support box was removed. The toilet came out of course. A layer of 1/4" underlayment was put down and then the tile was glued down and grouted. We lived in our coach all but 3 nights during this process. Our level floor slide on the driver side does not have rollers so we put down 4 slide slickers when we pull in the slide.that protects the tile from abrasion over time.

After one year in service, we love the floor and would not change anything we did. If you are interested in getting an estimate from Master Tech RV call: Jack Harris @ 866-895-4556. They did our floor; had a cherry credenza built; replaced a sleeper sofa and installed a residential frig. We were very happy with all their work.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:36 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I also have an interest in replacing the carpet in my Newmar Kountry Star, which has carpet under the slide. Having visited the factory a couple of years ago, I learned that their slide rolls down into a deep groove as it reaches the outer limit of the slide. Hence the floor becomes level when the slide is extended.thinking about using the fake wood laminate I have concerns. How would I address the groove, should I glue short pieces of laminate in the groove and have a seam where the groove meets the new floor? The slide has wide rollers, that currently leave impressions in the carpet. What can I expect from these rollers regarding scratching or marring the new surface ?
Old 08-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Hey Bill,

We are full timers and after 5 years of dealing with the carpet and porcelain tile, we had had enough. The carpet was very good quality but it was a constant struggle to keep it clean. We had the same concerns as you and we decided to have it professionally done. We spend July of last year in Elkhart at Master Tech RV for a remodel. They removed all the old floor covering from the firewall to the closet door. They installed Mannington Adura LVT on the entire main floor area. We could have left the slides alone but we had new carpet put there also.

They removed all the lower dash in the front and the kick boards on the galley base cabinets. The entire bed support box was removed. The toilet came out of course. A layer of 1/4" underlayment was put down and then the tile was glued down and grouted. We lived in our coach all but 3 nights during this process. Our level floor slide on the driver side does not have rollers so we put down 4 slide slickers when we pull in the slide.that protects the tile from abrasion over time.

After one year in service, we love the floor and would not change anything we did. If you are interested in getting an estimate from Master Tech RV call: Jack Harris @ 866-895-4556. They did our floor; had a cherry credenza built; replaced a sleeper sofa and installed a residential frig. We were very happy with all their work.
Sounds like you had the entire floor replaced, porcelain and all.

That certainly sounds like a good option, while I like the appearance of the porcelain - it certainly is hard on any and all dishes you may drop.

Mind me asking the ballpark price you ended up with - I do not need the residential fridge as I have already made that switch myself.

God Bless

Bill
Sepisllib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #6

The floor portion of our remodel was in the $5-5,500 range. This would include the removal, subfloor prep, underlayment, tile install and grout.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Carpet Replacement in my HR

We have partial flooring in our MH and the current carpet is now 12 years old and in great shape but the color has faded away.

We are moving forward to having new Carpet installed in the MH and not going to flooring or tile...From what I have been reading many mfg. do not want it used in temps below 55deg. Well I live in the North East and it can get quite cold here.

Tile might look nice but cold on the feet and a bit slippery...friend installed flooring and notices the road noise increased.

Local carpet dealer who has done my home has an installer who does RV...Nice multi color carpet installed in my 2 slide out 36 ft unit will cost $1500 total...

Not bad in my book.

Bill
Old 01-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #8

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
nightriderrv is doing mine in a few weeks--Im leaving it to the pro, and will be glad to go from vinyl to carpet--Vince
vscoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vscoggin View Post
nightriderrv is doing mine in a few weeks--Im leaving it to the pro, and will be glad to go from vinyl to carpet--Vince
Vince...going back to carpet..had you taken it out in the past? Problems?
Old 01-28-2013, 06:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vscoggin View Post
where is nightriderrv located?
Old 01-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #11

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I bought it in fall of last year--previous owner replaced origional carpet with vinyl floor-Im going back because comfort, and Kenny(our dog) wont walk on the vinyl--but just a personal choice no problems with the present flooring-Vince
Old 01-28-2013, 07:20 PM   #12

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
He"s located in Western N.C, in Nebo, N.C.(20 miles from where I live in Rutherfordton)--looks like you"re in P.A., but I would highly recommend him if anyone is close enough. You can contact him on the website.--Vince
Old 01-28-2013, 07:25 PM   #13

web site? any help?
Old 01-28-2013, 08:12 PM   #14

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
sorry--www.nightriderrv.com is the site--Vince