Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2017, 04:24 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Casappa Fan Control

Good evening:
My side mounted radiator fan started running at high speed last week. I understand this is the default if there is a failure of the wax valve or lack of 12V power, so I crawled under the coach to find that I have the Casappa pump and control.The pump has two hydraulic lines attached to it and a “stud” that has an electric solenoid slid over the stud.(See photos) It looks like there is supposed to be a fine threaded nut that holds the solenoid on the stud.I fiddled with the solenoid and restarted the coach.The fan ran at normal speed again.One problem solved.
The question I have, is do any of you with the Casappa fan control know if there is just a nut or nut and washer or??? to keep the solenoid on the stud. Is that nut tight against the solenoid to prevent it from turning on the stud or loose to allow if to turn on the stud?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Mike

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1786.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	185996

Name:	IMG_1790.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	185997

Name:	IMG_1791.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	185998
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2017, 06:20 PM   #2

Good evening Mike; Someone here on this forum had the same problem you had with the keeper coming off the stud to hold the electro magnet part on the stud. I responded to that other owner. I see the threaded part on the stud from your attached pictures. Yours probably had a pressed steel nut that went on the threaded part to hold the electro magnet onto the stud/valve. I ran a number of steel cutting machines for over 25 years and those machines had anywhere from 16 to 40 of those electro magnetic valves to control the flow of oxygen or propane to the cutting torches. Of course on those cutting machines everything was controlled by 120V, not 12V. Those solenoids can control anything from gases to liquids. Sometimes that nut that holds the magnet part on is nylon or plastic, but I have seen metal pressed nuts also. You could put a small washer under the nut if you wanted to. It is only there to hold the magnet part on. The other owner found the electro magnet part just hanging by the wires and did not know where it attached to without some looking around until he found the stud/valve it went onto. Hopes this gives you the info you are looking for. My 01 Windsor does not have that electro magnetic valve/solenoid for the van control. Also an answer to your other question Mike. The electro magnet does not need to be held tight on the solenoid/ valve shaft. It can rotate. You don't need to crank down on it. the outside metal shell the houses the windings just needs to seated on the bottom of the stud. If you can't find a proper nut to fit the threads, you could get a nylon washer to fit over the stud down on top of the solenoid housing and then put a zip tie on the threaded part of the stud. It takes very little pressure to hold the electro magnet on the stud.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 06:20 PM   #3

My Cassapa control is slightly different. But it does have a nut on the end. Be cautious as that nut is Metric and I think it is a strange metric.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:57 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the quick replies guys. You have confirmed my thoughts of how it goes back together. Moisheh, do you know if your nut is nylon or metal as 8.3Oilburner suggested? Yep, I'm sure it is metric and fine thread. I'll check my stockpile and then head to the hardware store for a handful of nuts to try.
Thank again for the help.
Have a great week.
Cheers,
Mike
Old 12-17-2017, 08:04 PM   #5

I would put a self locking nylon or metal nut on solenoid, to much vibration back there.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:45 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Update:
Impossible to find a nut. As Moisheh said, its not only an odd metric with fine threads, it also has "thin" threads. I'm going to use a short piece of heater hose over the threads and clamp it down with a hose clamp. That should hold. Thanks for the input guys.
Merry Christmas all.
Mike
Old 12-19-2017, 11:01 AM   #7

I'm in aircraft what is the thread my CBC can do any thread
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 02:29 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I tried a bunch of both metric and standard. Nothing would thread without binding, so I stopped while I was ahead. I don't want to remove the stud from the pump housing and open a potential can of worms. Fortunately, the solenoid just needs to be "held" in place. There is very little pressure to be put on it, so the heater hose and hose clamp will do the trick for now. I'll keep a close eye on it and if it doesn't work, I'll have to remove the stud, then I can have a nut fabricated for the stud. Thanks for the offer.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:37 PM   #9

How about putting blue lock tight on thread, that should work.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan