Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2016, 09:28 PM   #1

Cat 4 Hurricane

Evening Everyone

We are expecting a Category 4 Hurricane tomorrow evening. Our motorhome does not have any overhead cover so we are just hunkering down in our home and our motor home is in our back yard, hooked up to 50 Amp. If anyone has went through this type of situation before, we are looking for suggestions to do what we can to protect our coach. Thanks!

Frank and Jeannie
2006 Monaco Cayman XL
JustCruising is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2016, 09:34 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would unplug it in case of power surges.

Mike
Old 10-05-2016, 10:10 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
With all the debris that will be flying around, the best thing to do, is get in it and drive until you are out of danger.. But what ever you choose I wish you the best and our thoughts and prayers will be with all you folks..
flamebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:14 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you can't take it somewhere safe, prepare it the same way you would if you were driving it down the road, un-plug it from the power, retract the jacks, bring the slideouts in, shut off the propane tank.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:32 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I would leave, but you may be too late already...

fill up with fuel and propane, charge batteries and then if you can, drop the air bags to make it as low as possible to lessen the wind getting under it..
can you park it on the downwind side of your house or close to a tall building for protection (without getting it stuck from the rains) ? no tarp will stand up to 130 mph winds...

you will appreciate the genny etc when the power goes out at the house...
good luck from an ex-resident of south louisiana who went through some big ones a long time ago and got outta there
Old 10-06-2016, 08:32 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCountryMonaco View Post
Evening Everyone

We are expecting a Category 4 Hurricane tomorrow evening. Our motorhome does not have any overhead cover so we are just hunkering down in our home and our motor home is in our back yard, hooked up to 50 Amp. If anyone has went through this type of situation before, we are looking for suggestions to do what we can to protect our coach. Thanks!

Frank and Jeannie

2006 Monaco Cayman XL

I've been through a Cat 3 (Ivan in 2004).

My advice: Get in your rig & get the hell out of Dodge! Come back when it's all over (when the National Guard let you) & prepare to work hard, spend money & deal with insurance company to repair property damage. Good luck.
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. View Post
I've been through a Cat 3 (Ivan in 2004).

My advice: Get in your rig & get the hell out of Dodge! Come back when it's all over (when the National Guard let you) & prepare to work hard, spend money & deal with insurance company to repair property damage. Good luck.
Now if I may correct you, Dodge being in Kansas (I live near Dodge) might just be a good place to get! Haven't seen a hurricane in Dodge in a very long time.
Kidding aside I do feel for you guys in coastal area that have to deal with these issues.
Stay safe!
Old 10-06-2016, 08:42 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Echo what has been said. Only safe place to be with an RV in a hurricane is someplace else. I have been through several big ones in past years (when we did not have an RV). One 200mph Cat 5 , two Cat 3s, and too many Cat 1s and 2s to count. Now that we have an RV we consider it our emergency escape vehicle that will also give us living quarters.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:44 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Cat 4 Hurricane

I would leave the jacks down without lifting the coach for extra stability. There is no lightning during a hurricane. Disconnecting from shore power is a good idea, as there is likely to be strong surges on the power lines when the winds cause power disruptions.

Is it parked on concrete? If only parked on grass, the extreme flooding will make the grass and dirt so soft the RV will sink down and could become stuck.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 01:23 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Hopefully, you'll be reading this after it's all over and you're safe and sound. The above are all good ideas, and we've used some of them as well.

We're just outside the projected path right now, but keeping a close watch. One FEMA person suggested this morning that, even if you can't go across the state to totally avoid the storm, sometimes a much shorter journey will at least get you out of the cone of greatest danger.

Good luck there!
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:05 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCountryMonaco View Post
Evening Everyone

Frank and Jeannie
2006 Monaco Cayman XL
Not sure what part of Florida you are in, but it looks like we dodged the bullet here in S. Florida.
RVi 2 Auxiliary Braking System
iRent2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 02:47 AM   #12

I've often thought of parking under a bridge while a storm passes. I don't know if thats feasible in your situation. I'm guessing the undercrossings would be crowded.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:16 PM   #13

Thanks for all of the great advice! We dodged the bullet this time as Matthew wobbled to the east, reducing the impact along the Space Coast. Lots of wind and 4-5 inches of rain.

We did disconnect the power from the coach and buttoned it up the best we could. Came through the storm in great shape.

Again, thanks so much for the input!! Great site for sound advice.

Frank and Jeannie
2006 Monaco Cayman XL
JustCruising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:03 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Congrats....
That fox 4 guy got lambasted for saying 20 miles to the west and your were dead...

funny thing is, I think he's from New Orleans originally and probably knows what he was talking about

Tags
cat, hurricane