Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2010, 11:15 AM   #43

Well my local shop has gotten back to me and I am torn now, the ride enhancement kit you can purchase with or without their custom valved Bilstien shocks. I have the Koni FSD’s and with the money I spent on them plus the install I don’t want them to go to waste, though Source is not sure how it will affect the performance of the ride enhancement kit and could possibly affect it negatively!

Tony2
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2010, 11:29 AM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony2 View Post
Well my local shop has gotten back to me and I am torn now, the ride enhancement kit you can purchase with or without their custom valved Bilstien shocks. I have the Koni FSD’s and with the money I spent on them plus the install I don’t want them to go to waste, though Source is not sure how it will affect the performance of the ride enhancement kit and could possibly affect it negatively!

Tony2

My 2005 Safari Cheetah came from the factory with the upgraded suspension (most Safaris on the RR4R did) which is similar to the Source Enhancement Kit which included; larger air bags, larger air lines, larger air tank and Koni Adjustable shocks. I am not a suspension expert by the stretch of anybodies imagination, however, I will tell you that my Safari rides very well. I did have the new Trailing Arms pre-failure installed and I also added the MCUs at the same time.

I would ask about trying it with your shocks and if you are not satisfied, then make your decision about the new Bilstein Shocks.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:39 AM   #45

Well after much deliberation I am booked in to drop off my unit Monday afternoon up here in Calgary to have new Source trailing arms installed as well as their new ride enhancement kit. I never questioned doing the trailing arms based on the safety factor, though on the ride enhancement kit due to a lack of feedback and me getting conflicting stories on whether or not I would get the full benefit with using my Koni FSD shocks I was a little torn on what to do. Needless to say this is not a cheap experiment and I am hoping for the best (Being excited and nervous at the same time not wanting to get my hopes up too high!)........................if it makes little to no difference I am going to be a little peeved to say the least. I am also going to get it aligned, Source says the shop does not need to but I can’t see having new trailing arms put in along with airbags, etc and it not being knocked out of whack a little and the alignment is a LOT cheaper than having to replace the tires down the road.

Stay tuned and I will give you all an update late next week and with any luck I will be back to give a glowing recommendation!

Tony2
Old 04-18-2010, 10:18 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony2 View Post
Well after much deliberation I am booked in to drop off my unit Monday afternoon up here in Calgary to have new Source trailing arms installed as well as their new ride enhancement kit. I never questioned doing the trailing arms based on the safety factor, though on the ride enhancement kit due to a lack of feedback and me getting conflicting stories on whether or not I would get the full benefit with using my Koni FSD shocks I was a little torn on what to do. Needless to say this is not a cheap experiment and I am hoping for the best (Being excited and nervous at the same time not wanting to get my hopes up too high!)........................if it makes little to no difference I am going to be a little peeved to say the least. I am also going to get it aligned, Source says the shop does not need to but I can’t see having new trailing arms put in along with airbags, etc and it not being knocked out of whack a little and the alignment is a LOT cheaper than having to replace the tires down the road.

Stay tuned and I will give you all an update late next week and with any luck I will be back to give a glowing recommendation!

Tony2

Tony 2, thanks for the update. I am going to make an appointment for my new trailing arms at Calgary in May some time. I am unhappy with the $5,000 he quoted me for just the new arms and wheel alignment but safety comes first. I am anxious to hear of your results.
womps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:36 PM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
About mid May, I'll be able to give a report too. I have the HR version of Tony2's coach. Ride Enhancement Kit will be installed in 2 weeks (TA's done last Nov) while enroute to the annual Ramblin Pusher Maintenance Session in Goshen.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:35 AM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
We just had Source's new ride enhancement kit installed by Wayne's team at Roadmaster in Vancouver, WA. So far, so good, no more loud bangs at transitions in the road and the improvement in the ride is remarkable. We left the Koni shocks on for now anyway.
Just to let you know how caring Jim and Scott (at Source) are...we hit an "alligator" on the 5 just south of Sutherland, OR. It snapped the connectors of the two hoses for the air breaking system, warning bells were going off as we coasted to the side of the road.
We have AAA, but they didn't have a flat bed to tow us to a repair center. We called Source, they gave us the phone number of a mobile diesel repair center near us, as well as the part number we needed to reconnect the hoses, and kept checking in to make sure we were OK and taken care of. What a great team, we are so blessed to have them in our corner. Needless to say we are not renewing our AAA RV coverage, hoping Good Sam will do better, and Thank God for Scott and Jim at Source Mfg.
We'll be heading to HR Maintenance Session in Goshen, IN soon, and look forward to enjoying the new and improved ride.
Jerry & Sydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:37 PM   #49

Womp I don't know how $5000.00 relates to american $ but that is a lot of money. I did the install myself and the parts cost about $2000.00. Myself and my son 10 hrs total time involved and we never did this before. I did call Cummins Coach Care before i tackled this and was quoted $3100.00. You might want to call around to a few more places befor you commit to that shop
diggermik85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:11 AM   #50

trailing arms

found this on the net

Monaco RV Provides Trailing Arm Upgrade Kits

Email This Post Print This Post
April 20, 2010 by RV Business Leave a Comment

Monaco RV LLC has announced the release of an aftermarket trailing arm upgrade kit for the Roadmaster RR4R and R4R chassis, according to a news release. These trailing arms fit diesel pusher motorhomes with a four airbag–style suspension built by defunct Monaco Coach Corp. in the following models:

Make / Model Years
  • Monaco Knight, 2002-2004.
  • Monaco Cayman, 2002-2009.
  • Holiday Rambler Ambassador, 2002-2004.
  • Holiday Rambler Neptune, 2002-2009.
  • Safari Cheetah, 2002-2006.
  • Safari Zanzibar/Sahara, 2002-2005.
  • Safari Simba RD All Years.
  • Beaver Baron All Years.
While Monaco RV LLC was not the manufacturer of MNC diesel chassis, it has developed the aftermarket trailing arm upgrade kit in response to requests for a fully tested aftermarket product. The trailing arm kit by Monaco RV has been thoroughly tested at an independent proving grounds. It is competitively priced in the aftermarket parts market.
For pricing information or to order the replacement trailing arm kit, contact the Monaco RV LLC parts department at (877) 4-MONACO (877-466-6226).
In addition, a ride enhancement kit is also available through the Monaco RV parts department. This ride enhancement kit was developed by Monaco RV for the above mentioned motorhomes. For more information, contact the Monaco RV LLC parts department at (877) 4-MONACO (877-466-6226).
just_rving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:32 AM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Isn't that special. I especially like:

"While Monaco RV LLC was not the manufacturer of MNC diesel chassis, it has developed the aftermarket trailing arm upgrade kit in response to requests for a fully tested aftermarket product"

I would have assumed the first and second arms they developed that were dog doo, would have been tested.

I am personally insulted by their statements above, I consider it very akin to "Hello, I'm from the government and I'm here to help you"! I consider this announcement a slap in the face by arrogant people!
Old 04-21-2010, 10:06 AM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
***I'm not an engineer or a mechanic so take this for what it's worth.***

In addition to the trailing arms, I understand Monaco RV LLC also is providing a "ride enhancement kit." If true, I would not mix Source Engineering's trailing arms with Monaco RV LLC ride enhancement kit or visa versa.

In a few days, I'm heading to Goshen for the Ramblin Pusher Maintenance Session. I expect to see these their. I'll try to get some pictures and info.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:24 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
I believe that the Trailing Arm Kit from Monaco LLC is $1,650.00 plus shipping. My experience for past parts orders make me believe that Monaco has an up charge for freight, so you need to get an actual of freight from them.

I also believe that the Upgrade kit from Monaco LLC is the same one that came on my Safari from the factory when new. It was ordered and shipped on most Safari Cheetahs (larger bags, larger air lines, larger air tank and upgraded shocks), but not on most other RR4R Models. It was a $500.00 option at time of purchase. I am surprised that most were not just shipped with it on them.

I would not be the lease surprised that the Monaco Arms and Upgrade Kits are being purchased from Source Engineering. I also believe that most standard Monaco LLC Dealers are not equipped nor have the ability to installed either the Arms or Upgrades.

Finally, I do not want to imply that anyone should not purchase the Arms or Upgrade from nor have Monaco LLC or one of their Dealers install them. My prior post was meant to vent my anger at a Company that I feel did not do the right thing. Many companies went through Bankruptcy and were acquired by companies that did the right thing on recalls and warranties, those were the honorable and trustworthy ones. Monaco LLC and Navistar do not fall into that category!
Old 04-21-2010, 01:16 PM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I would not be the lease surprised that the Monaco Arms and Upgrade Kits are being purchased from Source Engineering
If they are identical products, which I doubt, then folks can shop for price.

If they are not identical, which I believe to be the case, again I'd suggest folks don't mix the two suppliers. Talking with Source Engineering their ride enhancement kit was designed based upon their trailing arms being on the chassis. In my non-professional opinion mixing Monaco's with Source will not make for a happy camper.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I had the Source Trailing Arms installed last Nov and will have their Ride Enhancement Kit installed on the 29th. Having said that, if I were doing my trailing arms now and both suppliers were available, gut feeling still goes with Source Engineering.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:58 PM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Nonno, agreed!
Old 04-21-2010, 06:55 PM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 4/30 appointment for the source arms and ride enhancement kit. As far as the Monaco replacement parts, they can stick them where the sun doesn't shine.I refuse to support a corporation that stuck all of us with this mess. I will never purchase anything from from them unless I have no other option. I hope others feel the same.