Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2017, 03:50 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
CB Radio stopped working

All relating to my '98 HR 38WDS -

My coach has a factory installed Maxon MCB-10A which was working just fine until about a couple of weeks ago. It powers up, meaning the lights on the channel window show it's on, but I suddenly don't get any reception (can't send or receive). The channel window show channels, and when pressing the transmit button, the transmit light glows the normal red. But that's it.

I've checked every connection I can think of....but didn't go on the roof, and in all honesty, don't really want to, to check the antenna.

Anyone have any thoughts as to what the possible cause of my problem is???
fluffyms is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2017, 04:52 PM   #2

Could you have driven under a low-lying tree limb? IF your radio is like mine, there is a graph that tells you how strong a signal you are receiving, kinda like a VU meter on a stereo. Anyway, if that graph is moving up and down, that would tell you that you are receiving a signal-antenna good, speaker bad. Other than a broken antenna or bad speaker-Do you have a CB shop (truck stop) nearby?
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:03 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Turn the SQL knob both directions see if you hear anything. Also mess with the rf gain knob that might of gotten adjusted too. What model radio do you have?
Old 07-03-2017, 05:08 PM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Two tests I'd do... (but I have the equipment...)

1. I'd check SWR on the antenna. If you don't have an SWR bridge then,
2. A quick test with a second CB set can help.

Personally I suspect it is 'dead' but it could be the antenna line is bad. If you can get at the antenna connector remove the cable and stuff a piece of (strip the insulation about 1/2" first) into the antenna connector on the set. Mash it in good, so it makes connection. Have the wire about 108" long, and just drape it near the windshield. Do you get any reception at all? If yes, then the antenna/cable may be dead.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:08 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
Could you have driven under a low-lying tree limb? IF your radio is like mine, there is a graph that tells you how strong a signal you are receiving, kinda like a VU meter on a stereo. Anyway, if that graph is moving up and down, that would tell you that you are receiving a signal-antenna good, speaker bad. Other than a broken antenna or bad speaker-Do you have a CB shop (truck stop) nearby?
That meter is a SWR (Standing Wave Ratio) meter. I have one of the stand alone meters in my workbench someplace from back when I used them.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 06:58 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Oops, got on the roof of my rig to fix the AC and noticed my CB antenna is missing! It was there but I guess it decided to stay in Vermont, probably it found it liked the low hanging tree branches enticing?

Anyone know how long the factory antenna is, and how many turns on the coil/spring section? I'd like to get close before I start tuning it... (I have antennas but none are factory for this setup...)
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:27 AM   #7

PO had a firestick antenna (24"?) so I replaced with another, it broke off too. So I found a spring base and metal whip which I used to replace the Firestick. I tested the ground, it was good. I couldn't get a great SWR, it took minor (1/16") adjustments of the whip length (in and out and tightnen allen screw).
I'd like to put up a ground plane plate (24" dia or so) up there and see if that makes a difference. I read a very interesting article about ground planes, they are not what I thought.

Hi Bill
CB frequencies are in the 27mhz range, this is the top end of the HF band. Yes, CB's do require a ground plane / counterpoise. Of course many CBers simply use the frame of their vehicle, but that is actually a bad idea since it is DC negative. Having DC negative on your ground plane causes a lot of ignition and electrical noise in your radio, even when filtered to a degree, plus it diminishes the potential signal some too. The KISS-SSB would be an over kill for such a ;limited frequency range but yes. it would work. However a better alternative would be a length of wire measured at 8'8" as a counterpoise radial and it will work just as well. This wire needs to be connected to the base shield connection of your whip antenna and do not allow the base bracket to be in contact with any frame metal that may have DC negative on it. This radial wire would need to be below the whip antenna, (that's why its called a ground plane, it has nothing to do with earth ground). The counterpoise repels the high RF off of the antenna of choice. Divide the frequency by 234 and that gives you a half wave length resonate length. You do need to be able to adjust the length of the antenna to get your best SWR at the channel 12 (middle) frequency.

Hope this helps, Carl Nichols RadioTeck / KISS=SSB
Old 07-05-2017, 10:38 PM   #8

Don't want to hijack the thread but I also lost my cb antenna to a low overhead ag inspection station entering Calif. I found a new antenna but short of running a new cable with the big connector though the roof I need to splice the rg-56 cable. I have located the proper male and female connectors but they require a special crimper to connect the center lead. They cost between $50-100 dollars. The connector total less then $5. The antenna end I could have done at the electronics shop but the other end is on the roof of the coach. I'm sure the cost of having a tech come to the coach and crimp the center lead would be more then the cost of the crimpers. Any ideas? I tried soldering the center lead but l'm not that good with an iron. I've considered soldering the two ends together with heat a shrink covering but I know antenna leads are sensitive to bend such so would that work? It's not worth very much to get the cb up and running again.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:55 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
So a lost antenna will certainly create reception issues!!!
Old 07-06-2017, 09:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesPearson View Post
Don't want to hijack the thread but I also lost my cb antenna to a low overhead ag inspection station entering Calif. I found a new antenna but short of running a new cable with the big connector though the roof I need to splice the rg-56 cable. ...

I suggest you read up on ground plane and no ground plane CB antennas, and if you don't have a metal roof, you need to read up on no ground plane cables as they can't be effectively spliced since they must be a very precise length to operate correctly (within 1/4 inch of a certain length)
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:34 AM   #11

I have an aluminum roof so ground plane isn't a problem. Just wondering if I can splice the lead-in rg-56 cable?
Old 07-18-2017, 03:57 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
CB Radio - further question

Got a lot of interesting information from you guys relating to my CB radio that stopped working...BUT...I've tried to trace the antenna wire thru the dash going to the roof. Guess what - somehow I lost trace of the antenna wire when it got to the maze of wires going under the dash. I thought it would be routed via the area where the TV antenna connection(s) would be but thats where I'm lost.
Too many wires and none that I could find that go anywhere near to where I thought the loom of wires relating to the radio, tv, etc would be routing to the roof. Anyone have any thoughts on what I should be looking for ???
I want to make sure it ( the antenna connection ) didn't somehow get disconnected.
Another point - after all this time, I just realized that I have 3 antennas on the roof - I know one is for the am/fm radio, one is for the CB - what's the third one for ? You'd think I would have noticed that before but didn't. Checked the owners manual also, and it didn't give me any information on 3 antennas.
fluffyms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 02:16 PM   #13

Get a cheap signal injector then you should be able to trace the wire something like
https://www.amazon.com/Extech-TG20-W.../dp/B00APD16D2
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:53 PM   #14

For Wes, Maybe drive by and see if these guys can help;

CB Radio Stores | CB Radio Services and Sales | Fontana, CA

Tags
radio