Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2020, 08:04 AM   #85

Monaco Owners Club
The few post I read on this thread shows that the licensing locations are not the only ones that are not experts

While I did take the test and have the Texas Class B non-cdl and drive without issue at an ever advancing age....

In my case, The Texas written test was 1950's stupid with how many reflectors does a farm trailer require, etc...

no air test since all I need to know is when I push on the brake does it stop - and I'll find that out before I get out of the storage area - I can't release the brake if the air doesn't work!

Also, they made me parallel park our 44 foot coach - I asked him how many people do you REALLY think parallel park these things ???

PLEASE don't ask for more regulations for ANYTHING !!!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2020, 09:18 AM   #86

John Boy: I know that Americans do not like regulations. But the difference between orderly and chaos are sometimes regulations. For Instance: We all hate building inspectors. And often they hassle us with stupid interpretations of rules. But would you like to live in a home with bad electrical wiring. Or a roof that will blow away in a 20 mph wind. Same with driving an air brake vehicle with no basic knowledge. They are not like hydraulic brakes. I have seen post where an owner asks where he adds brake fluid. Or posts that he is getting a buzzer sound and wants to know how to disconnect the buzzer. In Canada the community colleges provide the training and often can do the testing. Cost is minimal and lots of Grandmas pass the test with no difficulty. Do you know what a 6 pack is for air brakes? Not a 6 pack for your body. Or a 6 pack of Bud.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 03:13 PM   #87

Are there statistics showing class a drivers are a road hazard because they do not hold some sort of upgraded license? I drove big rig on the Alaska pipeline as a teenager , no real traffic woes but major ice and all dirt roads at 60 mph+. Nothing too difficult about it. There are great truck drivers and bad ones, A cdl doesn't seem to change that. I guess what I'm asking is this a feel good law or an actual improvement in road safety?
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 03:41 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by dca81 View Post
Well this is a long thread, but I am in Colorado and after I retired I started a little trucking company and obtained a CDL with doubles, hazard, and tank endorsements. I when thru all the 18 wheeler parallel parking, backing, turning, pre-inspection, air brake testing, etc. About two years ago I decided to give up the CDL because of continually restrictive/bureaucratic medical certifications. Because I had a stint I had to get a medical exam each year. No problem and somewhat logical. After all I too am concerned about my health and routinely get a physical exam every year from my normal doctor and my cardiologist. Just had them fill the CDL form out (and the one from my local vintage car race club) since they were the ones most aware of my health, no issue, except waiting in the long lines at the licensing office each year. Anyhow after a few years the medical exams had to be performed only at licensed DOT medical examiners (that's right, your knowledgeable MD treating you, and aware of your medical history is not qualified to provide a DOT medical exam???). BS, but I spent an extra $150 each year to get the exam at a licensed medical examiner (not an MD BTW). Then I was told that I needed to get a stress test since it had been several years since I had one. So I went to my Cardiologist and told him I needed a stress test. He said he did not think it required but would order it. I went to the local hospital at the appointed time and two medical techs stayed with me while I ran thru a real stress test. No problem ...alot easier then my normal ski days. Anyhow I get my CDL licensed renewed for another year thinking that was probably really expensive for my medical insurance company. Next year I go in thinking I have to waste another $150 on this dang worthless physical exam...but oh no...I am informed since I have a stint I need a stress test every year. Since I was not driving any vehicle requiring a CDL (including my 36K Monaco RV, imho) or had plans to drive any such vehicle I decided the State Of Colorado could kiss my white A__! So, I gave up my CDL and when back to a normal driver license that I simply renew about every five years. For those thinking they want a CDL, just be aware it will make you subject to a nightmare of bureaucratic BS (for example in Colorado your alcohol limits are cut in half even if you are just driving your personal car)...as for me after this experience I have no plans to obtain a CDL!!!
Those CDL regs are nationwide, not just CO.
I retired about four years ago as a tanker yanker. Within a week I had the CDL removed. What a freeing experience.
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 05:27 PM   #89

I don't know why everyone is worried about a CDL. I really doubt that Class A drivers will need the same CDL as an OTR truck driver. Has anyone heard of a jurisdiction that is planing to make that change? BUT I could sure see having a rule that some sort of license and basic knowledge and a maybe a road test for Class A drivers over a certain GVW. Think of some fellow that is 66 years old. Recently retired from being a Bank manager. He never lived on a farm. Drove SUV's and a lawn tractor. Never had an RV or even towed a boat He invested wisely and now wants to live his dream of owning a large MH. He goes out and buys a new 45 ft. Newmar that cost about $600,000 and weighs about 45,000 lbs. He is going to tow a medium size SUV. Should he be allowed to just hand over his check to the dealer and drive away?
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 03-09-2020, 10:44 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
I don't know why everyone is worried about a CDL. I really doubt that Class A drivers will need the same CDL as an OTR truck driver. Has anyone heard of a jurisdiction that is planing to make that change? BUT I could sure see having a rule that some sort of license and basic knowledge and a maybe a road test for Class A drivers over a certain GVW. Think of some fellow that is 66 years old. Recently retired from being a Bank manager. He never lived on a farm. Drove SUV's and a lawn tractor. Never had an RV or even towed a boat He invested wisely and now wants to live his dream of owning a large MH. He goes out and buys a new 45 ft. Newmar that cost about $600,000 and weighs about 45,000 lbs. He is going to tow a medium size SUV. Should he be allowed to just hand over his check to the dealer and drive away?

Not in Texas he needs a Class B. It’s a non-commercial license for vehicles over 26,000 lbs.
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:55 AM   #91

dsbear: To get that license is there a test? Do you need a medical annually?
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 03-10-2020, 09:01 AM   #92

Winnebago Owners Club
I am in Texas and a class B is required for anything over 26K. You will be required to take a written test and a driving test. Some have reported having an Air Brake test and parallel parking. I was not required to do either.
There was no medical requirement.
Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 02:55 AM   #93

CDL for driving motor home in various states??

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
dsbear: To get that license is there a test? Do you need a medical annually?

There is a written test and a driving test. The driving should not require air brake, backing or parallel parking; however, some centers are unclear about the rules and require some or all of those items. Good luck!
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 04:43 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
I had to get a CDL for the RV dealership I drive for yet someone with the means can buy, for example, a 45 footer and, with no prior RV driving experience, training, or medical exam, drive that huge thing off the lot (at least here in AZ). Why did I have to get a CDL?

I'm also governed by Hours of Service, which boils down to 11 hours driving or 14 hours on duty, which ever comes first. And keep a logbook! What's to stop our newb motorhome owner/driver from doing an 18 hour day behind the wheel?

If newb doesn't need anything special to drive that big rig then why do I? Aren't we driving the same rig?
You had to get a CDL because you were driving in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise. An RV owner (usually) is not. The "C" in CDL stands for commercial.

You probably qualify for a logbook exemption if you are driving in the local area. If you are driving OTR, then of course you need a logbook. No difference than any other commercial driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
...Also, they made me parallel park our 44 foot coach - I asked him how many people do you REALLY think parallel park these things ???...
Quite a few. Take a look next time you're at a Walmart. All those rigs parked against the curb are parallel parked. When someone pulls into the spot in front or behind them, they'll be glad they know how to get out (or cursing if they don't).

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
Are there statistics showing class a drivers are a road hazard because they do not hold some sort of upgraded license? ...
What are you suggesting? Do away with all licensing for truck drivers? No system is fool proof, but I'd rather they do something to try and keep out the people who can't handle a truck. In CDL school it was clear that the licensing kept out lots of people that had no business behind the wheel of a truck. If not for the CDL requirements, those people would be driving down the highway next to us.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 03:20 PM   #95

Monaco Owners Club
Agree with some of your points Richard, but the ONLY time I've ever parallel parked any coach was for this drivers test...
We tend to get pull through sites or plan accordingly

And to an earlier question about a 66 year old bank mgr....

I 'are' a 71 year old retired software geek and maybe I'm the exception to the rule, but nary a problem with any of our many rv's and coaches... (but I did start young )