RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2020, 12:48 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Ceiling Fan ...still

My bedroom ceiling fan stopped working a few months ago so once I decided to tackle it, seemed it probably needed a new motor since the fuse was good (seems the most common problem with them). So, I ordered one and it is not working either. Using my handy multimeter (which I should've used first), seems like there is no power getting to it. Checking the wiring at the switch, I'm getting nothing.

So, the fuse I checked is located in one of the top cabinets in the bedroom, which is good. Is there somewhere else I need to check? My electric skills are limited to only basic knowledge.

Thanks for any advice!
SpottedJag96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2020, 01:05 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Check the fuse holder itself and make sure you are getting voltage on on terminal.

Try replacing the fuse even if it looks good.

Where is the switch in relation to the fuse panel.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 01:31 PM   #3
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you have a fuse panel in the closet use a test light on each end of the fuses. Just looking at them can be misleading and it can be very hard to see them. A 12 volt test light is better than a voltmeter that can fool you.

Finding a ground for the test light can be tricky. You might be able to clip onto the face of your ac breaker panel if it is close.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 09:33 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks! I will try both of those ideas in the morning!
Old 08-26-2020, 10:26 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
So, there is power at the fuse box including a good fuse but seems there is no power coming into the switch. Tested with the 12v test light 😉

Any more ideas? Do we know if that circuit runs somewhere else besides going straight to the fan? I don't know where else to look at this point.

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2020, 10:32 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
You could try resoldering the connections at the fuse and at the switch. If that doesn’t help then the problem is likely a faulty wire from fuse to switch. I would run a temporary test wire from the fuse to the switch to confirm this. If that works, you will have to try to figure out how to install a new wire so it doesn’t show.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 12:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpottedJag96 View Post
My bedroom ceiling fan stopped working a few months ago so once I decided to tackle it, seemed it probably needed a new motor since the fuse was good (seems the most common problem with them). So, I ordered one and it is not working either. Using my handy multimeter (which I should've used first), seems like there is no power getting to it. Checking the wiring at the switch, I'm getting nothing.

So, the fuse I checked is located in one of the top cabinets in the bedroom, which is good. Is there somewhere else I need to check? My electric skills are limited to only basic knowledge.

Thanks for any advice!

My fan motor is making a noise, where did you find a new motor?
mccrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 12:22 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I purchased the motor on Ebay. They have two different motors. One for the two speed switch and the other for the fan with the remote. They are different, so make sure you order the right one.

Mine had the two speed switch and here is the link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Volt-DC-...d/292077486814.
Old 08-26-2020, 02:00 PM   #9
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrob View Post
My fan motor is making a noise, where did you find a new motor?
Let me guess, tick tick tick ????
Old 08-26-2020, 02:08 PM   #10
YC1

Pull the switch out of the wall if you have not and gently pull on the wires. You may find a molex plug where you can check there as well.

What did you use for the ground on the test light?? That is often a real pain. You can use an extension cord plugged into an outlet for the ground wire. Put a large round screwdriver into the ground hole and clip your test light onto that. Test a know good source of power of course to get the test light to come on.

I ended up running new wires for a new fan because the old setup had two wires and the new one needed four. That was a real ordeal.

Ultimately I threw out about four fans and rebuilt them many times trying to solve the ticking issue. Probably is actually the brushes and not the bearing but I finally relented and installed a 110 volt fan. I just use a pull chain on the fan for operation and no light used because of the height issue.

The 110 volt fan is quiet as a mouse and moves lots of air. Have no idea if it runs on the inverter because I have never tested it that way.

The small arm rests/ night stands that are just a few inches wide next to the head of the bed actually came out reasonably easy on mine. That gave me access to some wires and I think I drilled my own hole at one time to run the additional wires now not needed because of the 110 volt conversion.

While I had the arm rest.night stand out I rebuilt the bed frame by replacing it with an electric adjustable one. It is a single adjustable because there is not room for a king size bed.
Old 08-26-2020, 11:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Let me guess, tick tick tick ????

Yep you got it
Old 08-26-2020, 11:41 PM   #12

Thank you

Tags